corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looks like a 2:2 degree for me, am i done for ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looks like a 2:2 degree for me, am i done for ?
chris_lee100

User status: Offline
16th Jan 04 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blackula i just read ur earlier post sayin u r into music so obviously not a coll ne more. if u r i got the blue calibra lol ! neways off to bed now this thread has generated a lot of answers, ideas and enthusiasm on my part. combined with my motivation this could be what i need. thanks to u all for ur help goodnight.
blackula

16th Jan 04 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not studying there. This was years ago, at the time I has a C reg Silvia and then a Sierra Cosworth G reg.

These days I teach the guitar and music theory, modes, notation and stuff.
chris_lee100

16th Jan 04 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o yeah loads of women its greaaaaaat but i live at home so never mind eh !!
blackula

16th Jan 04 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Home, where ?
miss_bravo

16th Jan 04 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've left uni without getting my honours at all, didn't feel like it would benefit me as I knew I didn't want to go on to study any further, I felt like I'd been a student for long enough. Now that I've left I totally regret it, my course co-ordinator has said that I have the option to go back in September and do 4rth year (honours) but I'm not sure what I'm going to do
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jan 04 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a 2:2 in Computer Science at Liverpool. Graduate recruitment schemes would care that its not a first but my current employer didn't. The appointment was based heavily on skills I'd picked up elsewhere and I'm doing more in house training to put me in a position to move up internally.

The degree helps a lot but the grade is less so important.

I wouldn't worry about the irony either. I got 46% in a web page design unit despite running a web site which at the time was doing 1000 visits per day and now does 4000. Slightly annoying, but I can live with it.
Dan B

16th Jan 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My degree hasn't really counted for anything in the last two jobs I've had......the fact I've had one counted more than the fact I only came out with a 3rd in Maths at Liverpool.

As with the above, the fact I'd picked up quite a range of computer-based skills & knowledge from outside of my degree helped a lot more when it came to interviewing for jobs...

[Edited on 16/01/2004 by Dan B]
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. The job offers I have so far for once I graduate are all conditional on a 1/2.1.

Why don't you just knuckle down and seriously work your ass off and try to get that 65%? That would be ya best bet! Whats a few months hard work for a life time of financial security
blackula

16th Jan 04 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This may sound like a rant, but many companies, particularly those who like to see themselves as graduate employers and being very fusy about grades and even what A levels you got, which I think stinks of SHITE.

They are not looking at a Degree as an indication of organisation and learning skills but more as a trophy if yo uhave a first or maybe a 2.1.

I managed a lab in a large food firm and there were people on graduate training progressions eventually to become managers, they had almost zero social skills, knew nothing about what they were supposed to be doing and spent all the time talkign about what BMW they could get when they went up a grade in the chain. They were however attractive females and one was this guy who had scored very highly in the enrolement process. He was however a grade one nob cheese.

Remember who gets the jobs is largely down to the nobs who already work in the company. Pen pushing and other BS usually takes rank over actual knowledge.

Taking someone on, because they have a first or something from Cambridge or Durham is a very spurious concept.
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree but they get that many applications for the top jobs that they have to have some way of differentiating. They can't interview everyone, send everyone to residentail assessment centres etc. Its so competitive that you have to have excellent grades at every level from GCSE up. Also, they use A-Level/UCAS points as a way of saying you need to have been to a certain University. They can't say you have to have gone to such and such a University. But, they can see you need 28 UCAS points (AAB) safe in the knowledge that people with 28 UCAS points will have attended a good Uni.
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus, its no good saying you need a 2.1 or whatever and not mentioning UCAS points because obviously its much easier to get a 2.1 at some Unis than at others.

Once you get into a job it all goes out of the window anyway and your performance becomes important as does personality. Its just that the grades get you into the top firms.
whitter45

16th Jan 04 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil321
Plus, its no good saying you need a 2.1 or whatever and not mentioning UCAS points because obviously its much easier to get a 2.1 at some Unis than at others.

Once you get into a job it all goes out of the window anyway and your performance becomes important as does personality. Its just that the grades get you into the top firms.

very true indeed. i graduated last July in aerospace engineering. i got 2.2 but its a fucking hard degree not a mickey mouse one
mike16v

16th Jan 04 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in my second year now and am looking at coming out with a 2:1 this year, my better areas ive got 1st's but in my lesseer areas a weak 2:1 is pulling it back, should be able to pick 100% of our own units
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
very true indeed. i graduated last July in aerospace engineering. i got 2.2 but its a fucking hard degree not a mickey mouse one

What you looking to go into?
whitter45

16th Jan 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Applied to BAE systems and places like that. i have an interview for air traffic control aswell
Bonus

16th Jan 04 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got a lot of time, not read all the above posts, but...

Don’t worry about a 2:2. Its still a good Hons Degree. I graduated last summer with a 2:2, I've now started looking for a job and finding that employers care more about your experiences then your level of degree. Ok a few jobs want only 1st's or 2:1's, but this isnt as common as you may think.

Dont worry to much, enjoy your last few months of uni, relax and do you best, you cant do any better then that.

Good Luck!
whitter45

16th Jan 04 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonus
Not got a lot of time, not read all the above posts, but...

Don’t worry about a 2:2. Its still a good Hons Degree. I graduated last summer with a 2:2, I've now started looking for a job and finding that employers care more about your experiences then your level of degree. Ok a few jobs want only 1st's or 2:1's, but this isnt as common as you may think.

Dont worry to much, enjoy your last few months of uni, relax and do you best, you cant do any better then that.

Good Luck!

that is exactly what i have found and is good advice
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 04 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blackula
This may sound like a rant, but many companies, particularly those who like to see themselves as graduate employers and being very fusy about grades and even what A levels you got, which I think stinks of SHITE.

They are not looking at a Degree as an indication of organisation and learning skills but more as a trophy if yo uhave a first or maybe a 2.1.

I managed a lab in a large food firm and there were people on graduate training progressions eventually to become managers, they had almost zero social skills, knew nothing about what they were supposed to be doing and spent all the time talkign about what BMW they could get when they went up a grade in the chain. They were however attractive females and one was this guy who had scored very highly in the enrolement process. He was however a grade one nob cheese.

Remember who gets the jobs is largely down to the nobs who already work in the company. Pen pushing and other BS usually takes rank over actual knowledge.

Taking someone on, because they have a first or something from Cambridge or Durham is a very spurious concept.

Durham

vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 04 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Applied to BAE systems and places like that. i have an interview for air traffic control aswell

They don;t even care if you have Honours or not
whitter45

16th Jan 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:

They don;t even care if you have Honours or not

Yeah ATC doesn't but places like BAE do
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my housemates has applied to BAE but in IT. Supposed to be a good place to work.
chris_lee100

17th Jan 04 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant be arsed workin with nobs who think peopls lives revolve around the price of your merc, i hate people like this, Im a grafter and thats that, i only went to uni cos you pretty much have too. I have more of a laugh with my workies than I do at uni !

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looks like a 2:2 degree for me, am i done for ? 23 database queries in 0.0161400 seconds