corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » input from u peeps woul help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author input from u peeps woul help
corsa120

User status: Offline
31st Dec 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically i have a 1.6 16v sport was once a 1.4 16v anyway ive bin saving like mad and nearly got 1800 quid to have a 2.0 valver put in but now its getting close im haveing second thoughts on whether to tune the 1.6 16v up to 140-50 bhp with inlet/head work/tb's maybe dunno it already has zorst/4branch/filter etc or put the valver in

reason im concerned is due to the fact the 1.6 engine has covered 28000 miles which aint much but ill be lucky to get less than 70-80 thousand miles on a valver an thats the crunch.

my other thought is to spend 800 quid on the 1.6 just to make 120bhp roughly save the 1000 and just keep saving again til i get 1800 and in the mean time blow my 1.6 up lol opinions would help cheez
Daimo B

31st Dec 03 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£800 will get your 1.6 to around 120-130bhp, depends how well it takes to tuning.

Your never goignt o get the torque of the 2.0 unless you spend big £££ and dump TB on it, but the 1600 is a cracking and does respond well to tuning!!

I personnally wouldn't swap a 1.6 for a 2.0. 1.4 to 2.0 ok ( i was gonna go from a 1.4 to a 1.6 also). 1.4 lacks the cc to get any decent power, but the 1.6 is a good lump.

Also, the added bonus of my 2.0 (went from a 46,000 engine to a 90k engine) was that i had full service history, MOTs, receipts etc so i knjew the engien was ok (plus we squashed the whole car after )

Basically.

If your gonna use it every day to got ot work etc, get a 2.0 16v.

If its your evening/weekend car, then I'd say keep the 1.6 and tune it.
neophyterulez

31st Dec 03 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youll never know when your motor brakes.
With the 1.6 you can have problems within 2k miles and you can buy a 2.0 with 70k miles and never have a problem.

My oppinion is change to 2.0 because the motor does appriciate an original 2.0 with 150BPH rather than a 1.6 tuned to the same BPH.

Never mind my thoughts as for my friends call me crazy with my car
corsa120

31st Dec 03 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not worried about high miles on the c20xe its just my 1.6 is young and full of life and no where near dead yet as to speak

daimo u make sense just somat i may think about, the other thing that concerns me is does the weight of a 2.0 affect the handling on a corsa alot
i love going round corners and dont wanna sacrifice that surely wont be that bad
Paul H

31st Dec 03 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first i would ring insurance company and see which would be cheaper to insure then go from there.i would go for a 2.0 myself as you no it has 150bhp as standard
corsafreak

31st Dec 03 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my redtop has 115k on it, gonna strip all the gubbins off and send it in for an overhaul maybe balancing and lightening depending on cost. full set of new gaskets and a new timing belt. that should sweeten it up abit.
then i just need the fitting kit and chuck the bugger into me corsa.

insurance quote was £540 fully comp protected ncb. thats with full ncb age 31, cat 1 alarm and garage overnight. body mods are free,engine only upto 160bhp.

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by corsafreak]
Greg_M

31st Dec 03 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 will handle beter, and if you decide to move on a 1.6 will be much easier to get rid of than a valver.

i was going to put a valver in, but ive decided on the tuned 1.6 to save on insurance and handling ect. yeah fair enough you can take a valver above and beyond what you can with a 2l. but 1.6 tuned to the same bhp as a 1.6 will cost about half of what the 2l conversion costs alone.

just my opinion
PaulW

31st Dec 03 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also depending on the mileage of the 1.6 and its current condition, if you do decide to go up to a 2ltr, you might also be able to shift the 1.6, gearbox, loom & ecu for the same cost as the C20XE cost you, maybe even a little more
corsa120

1st Jan 04 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to get 150 bhp from the 1.6 ur lookin at tb's and management etc
the tb's are a grand b4 fitting

2.0 conversion is 1500 quid all in approx so to tune 1.6 to 150 bhp an be as reliable will cost more

i dont intend on getting rid of the corsa i brought it 2 1/2 years ago ive paid the finance off im keeping it forever when i buy a new car i wont trade me corsa coz all ill get is 500-1000 pound as they take the piss on part-ex so keepin the corsa, plus when it gets 10 years old i wanna do a full strip and rebiuld of the body/full respray/1 off kit as ill have the time space to spend time doin it etc hopefully ill have a house to do it too
tazmaniac

1st Jan 04 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gonna 20ltr my tigra but ive changed my mind and so tuning the 1.6 instead.
miles

1st Jan 04 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeings as the

£300 will get you 125bhp with the velos inlet manifold.

£1800 will buy you a throttle body kit, which will see you at about 155bhp ish, with scope for much more.

I've got a tb'd 1.6, it was rolling roaded at 199bhp (although I think thats a tad optimistic) and its fine to use everyday. I get 200 miles for £20, it idles fine, drives fine in traffic, perfect cold start etc.

I recon the 1.6's are great, I did a 1/4 in 14.065, the (standardish) 2.0 16v nova's do it in about 14.6
J da Silva

1st Jan 04 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i disagree with the comment that 1.6's are unreliable they are brilliant little engines, and with the right money you can give it great power, i'd stick with the 1.6 and do some engine work to make it meaty
DangerousDave16v

1st Jan 04 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you said yourself, the 1.6 is still full of life. i think it would be a shame to get rid of a perfect lump.
corsa120

1st Jan 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh cheez guys for the comments ill see what happens now

New Poll