corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Maybe Ian or Tim will know this, but anyone else too...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Maybe Ian or Tim will know this, but anyone else too...
PaulW

User status: Offline
16th Dec 03 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm after a PHP-Script or similiar to run on a unix web server, which lets people sign up for free hosting on the server, so when they sign up & stuff, the script then adds a user to the system, so they have there own little space like at like www.myhostserver.com/~username (as will be configured using apache...

Simple way of explaining...

User visits site & registers
Once registered, PHP Script creates a user account on the UNIX webserver (with a default group setting for quota management & so on), creates a folder called public_html in there home directory (/home/username/public_html) and configures it all so they can FTP into the server with there username/password to upload files...
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Dec 03 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I *think* thats as difficult as manually writing lines in each appropriate config file, as well as setting up the appropriate folders etc. and changing permissions on them. All fairly simply file handling or system call stuff although I'd have to do some homework on exactly what's required to write one.

I dare say such a script exists - you tried DevShed?
BabyBlade

16th Dec 03 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My heads hurting now ive read all that
Good luck tho!
PaulW

16th Dec 03 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I *think* thats as difficult as manually writing lines in each appropriate config file, as well as setting up the appropriate folders etc. and changing permissions on them. All fairly simply file handling or system call stuff although I'd have to do some homework on exactly what's required to write one.

I dare say such a script exists - you tried DevShed?

folders & so-on will be pre-defined so the script just copies whats what to the new user home folder, as for permissions, could I not just call chmod from within the script or set it within the guid?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Dec 03 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One problem you might have with creation of the directories isn't mode, its ownership. The web server process will definately be able to chmod stuff its created but you really want a chown so its consistent with ftp user, not just owned by web server process and wide open.
PaulW

16th Dec 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm tru cos then when they ftp in, it just lists what they got permission to view, so they canae mess about
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Dec 03 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uh if you have root on the machine the script could add users to the system but not give them a working shell so they cannot login, but still have ftp access by the stock ftpd, webspace via apache (IIRC theres a setting so in each user home area, if it has a public_html or simular then it links to www.website.com/~username or kinda leike that, hard to explain!)

then theres security issues but I'm not going into that.
Trucido

16th Dec 03 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest if you have it on a form you will get spammed by some git...its best to set up a form that either e-mails you or lists on the site in a aadmin area then you can verify it and create it yourself

New Poll