corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » **NETWORK COMPUTER PEOPLE** {i need your help}

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author **NETWORK COMPUTER PEOPLE** {i need your help}
SteveW

User status: Offline
24th Nov 03 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK hiya i cant find anything that will explain this too me i have tries google and whatis.com

HELP ME PLEASE...

Part 2
B)

Give a written description and Venn diagrams to explain hom an eighth-bit could be used to provide both a SEC (Single Error Correction) and DED (Double Error Detection) code for the Hamming coded 4-bit data word.

HELP ME PRETTY PLEASE...

Steve
PaulW

24th Nov 03 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

duno if this is any use or not

http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m0097/latest/
Cole

24th Nov 03 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could always ask the bloke who is being tried at the court im sitting on the jury for he stole loads of network parts from his employer and i'll tell him i 'll say not guilty lol
SteveW

24th Nov 03 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate, BUT i have pretty much all that info anyway.

Thanx for trying tho
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Nov 03 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

snowy you doing binary? looks like it i think? I've done it like twice now and still doesnt stick cause its so borring, wasnt it something about an extra bit used for error correction? or 'parity bit' ? argh i dunno,
SteveW

24th Nov 03 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mate it is the extra parity bit. But i need to know HOW ITS USED etc...

argh...
Tim
Site Administrator

24th Nov 03 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By changing from 3 check bits to 4 check bits, you increase the Hamming distance (d) from 3 to 4 (2^d = gap between valid codes)...

When you use for both detection AND correction, d = t (correct) + s (detect) + 1... So the 8th bit enables you to either do TED (d = 0 + 3 + 1)

or

DED AND SEC (d = 1 + 2 + 1)...
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 03 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tim i dont think you know what your on about
SteveW

24th Nov 03 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim - i dont need the actual code itself (thanx anyway) all i need to know is how the 8th bit works for the hamming coded 4bit data word

Tim
Site Administrator

24th Nov 03 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just explained how it works for a 4 bit word...
SteveW

24th Nov 03 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry for not being clear.

I need it in english not in code

here is waht i have found so far.

The reliability of computer storage and computations are an essential part of why they have become ubiquitous. A commonly used method to check on the accuracy of memory is to store an extra parity bit.

The extra parity bit can be used to detect (but not correct) single bit errors in a byte.

There are two conventions. In even parity, it is always the case that the total number of 1 bits is even - if necessary by setting the parity bit to be 1. In odd parity, it is always the case that the total number of 1 bits is odd.

Which is better? Neither - they are equally good but unfortunately unstandardized conventions.

Sometimes we need more than detecting errors. By adding extra parity bits, we can correct single-bit and even larger errors. For example, CD-ROMS use very sophisticated error-correcting mechanisms to compensate for scratches.

Parity also becomes an issue with transmitting data from one computer to another via a modem. It is important that both computers agree on whether to use even, odd, or no parity so the bits can be received properly.
SteveW

24th Nov 03 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give a written description and Venn diagrams to explain hom an eighth-bit could be used to provide both a SEC (Single Error Correction) and DED (Double Error Detection) code for the Hamming coded 4-bit data word.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Nov 03 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

binary gives you cancer - FACT.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Nov 03 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
Richie

25th Nov 03 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very old ian
drunkenfool

25th Nov 03 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true though!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » **NETWORK COMPUTER PEOPLE** {i need your help} 23 database queries in 0.0154610 seconds