corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.4 Hi-Torq won't start when cold

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 Hi-Torq won't start when cold
andy t

User status: Offline
29th Nov 03 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the response! where do I start?

The Airbox is totally standard, as is rest of car. vacuum lines & hot air hose are intact. Air filter is NEW.

Battery was fine, although its now flat because of trying to start the car for ages last weekend. After it gave up, I took the plugs out, they were soaked in petrol, so fuelling doesnt seem to be an issue, or is it?

Plugs are in good condition, can't say wether they are the right ones or not, or if the gap is correct. I didn't torque the plugs up, just did it by feel really, not too tight obviously.

I did the diagnostic reading, only fault stored was 'Fuel pump' (16 pin socket, 4 digit code)

I will check the fuel pump & replace the filter but something tells me that it won't solve the starting problem!

So is it agreed that the 'cold start enrichment' for this engine is via the coolant temp sensor, and by the ECU putting more fuel in electronically via the injector? Where is this sensor, I want to replace it! I've had a look for it but can't find it.

leon_in_Uk, yep my engine sounds same as yours(1998 corsa breeze 1.4 hi-torq) how did you fix it in the end?

speaking of the dizzy, yhe plug leads come out of a metal box with 'cooling fins' on the end of the engine, is this a type of dizzy, or something all-electric? How do I get in to it, and is there much point? I'm not sure if the car has a coil pack, will check.

I know I shouldn't give it gas to start, and I never did/had to when the car was running ok. I only gave it some gas a couple of weeks ago when it wouldnt start, and had been turning over for ages. giving it gas didnt seem to make much difference but it did start in the end. starts perfectly when warm, i'm sure theres no problem with the compression.

Car won't start at all now help!!!!

[Edited on 01-12-2003 by andy t]
andy t

1st Dec 03 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
IntaCepta

1st Dec 03 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn, my car is starting to give troubles!
think its the induction kit maybe needin abit of warm air.

had to give it some gas

stalled it on a roundabout 5mins after startup.
andy t

3rd Dec 03 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep thats what induction kits do to ya in winter!

Come on someone must know where the coolant temperature sensor(s) are?

Please help!

Are the Haynes manuals any good for starting problems/diagnosis?
andy t

8th Dec 03 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weird.. it started perfect first time on saturday afternoon, and it's been standing for days & days!

I couldn't get the fuel filter hose clips off, how the hell do you do it, is there as special tool? Just need to press the tabs in on both sides and pull the fuel line off but its bloody akward.

I tried to get to the top of the 'intank' fuel pump(via the back seat), but I couldnt get the large circular plastic cover off!

It did about a half turn then locked solid. Can I cut/prise through it, or is important to maintain a tight seal - i.e tank fumes/noise/damp???

I bought one of those cheap workshop manuals that covers corsa/astra/nova etc. (£5) seems quite good so far.

I have found where the coolant temp. sensor lies, where can I get a new one? is it dealer only??

cheers
andy t

8th Dec 03 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to mention, listened against fuel pump cover plate for sound of the pump priming when the ignition turns on - but couldn't hear a thing.

When I started the engine, the pump then started wirring a fee secs later.

Should it definately come on when the ignition is turned on??
tooolbox timmy

7th Dec 05 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems like cold air is getting in your induction kit if you have one causing the petrol and air to get to cold for sparking same problems occur with cars with 4 inch tail pipes and no cat,cold air gets up the pipe and gets so cold its wont starty for ages in some bad cases it freezes the engine inside out,but I wouldnt of thought that would happen in sunny england haha
Bullet Proof SRi

7th Dec 05 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just out of interest have you checked your airfilter and plugs recently, these may need replacing
IntaCepta

7th Dec 05 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd like to think he would have sorted the problem out 2 years after it started...
andy t

7th Dec 05 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, can't believe i'm still getting posts on this thread! dirty air filter would not affect cold starting, nor would having an induction kit fitted.

Anyway, i'm pleased to say that, 2 years on the car has not missed a beat since taking it to an auto electrician in december 2003. They couldn't find any fault codes(me disconnecting the battery cleared them), but they reset the 'field values' in the ecu, it seems to of done the trick.

It always starts first time now, whatever the temperature.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll