corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » will tuning an engine

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author will tuning an engine
Marc

User status: Offline
19th Oct 03 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ever alter the cars top speed, without changin gearing etc!!!
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how its tuned. If its tuned in such a way that bhp/torque are increased, then yes obviously it will reach a higher top speed as it has more power to pull it there in 5th.

If however the car can, as standard, hit the limiter in 5th (unlikely), then extra power will only get the car to this top speed quicker

Matt
Marc

19th Oct 03 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well my torque has been raised not sure wot its is now, think it may be around the 270-80lb/ft mark.
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to help explain the situation, my little 1.2 8v will get to around 4k revs in 5th (around 105mph). It lacks the power to go any faster (runs outta puff), although summat like having it chipped etc wud allow it to pull to a higher top speed.

However, summat like a 1.6 sport buzzy little 16v engine, i believe they near enuff hit the red line in 5th anyway, so a mantzel power box, zaust etc tune up, wud just get it to this point faster
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 16vmarc
well my torque has been raised not sure wot its is now, think it may be around the 270-80lb/ft mark.

Wot box u running? F20? F28?
PaulW

19th Oct 03 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another thing aswell alot of people go on about BHP thinking thats the main factor, but if anything the torque is what gets it to a good speed quicker, so if you torque has gone up, you should have a little more umph than before
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me bout it - torque is always good

My Pug D Turbo is only running bout 118bhp, but 170lb/torque and i'm definately a fan of torque.

like u said before, its real important when tuning to get the torque improved as well as the power, coz those higher speeds aint achieved with the torque to turn box upto the higher speeds in say 5th gear

Matt
Kris TD

19th Oct 03 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

torque turns wheels bhp sells cars.
Sooty
Banned

19th Oct 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
quote:

Subaru don't rate their gearbox's like that
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sooty
quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
quote:

Subaru don't rate their gearbox's like that

lol oh sh*t sorry, i thought u were running a c20let in a corsa. my apologies.

In that case, cant really help coz i dont no the box set up on these, although arnt they limited any way?

Matt
Sooty
Banned

19th Oct 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuning the engine will just make the car get to its top speed in 5th, without changing the box, the cars top possible speed will not change, unless you get a raised limit with a chip
Marc

19th Oct 03 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car is chipped hence the higher torque rating.
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought the scoobies were limited to 155mph nah?

But anyway, like sooty says, a chip will bring ur top speed up a bit. Has ur chip raised the limiter as well as given increased torque?

Matt
vibrio
Banned

19th Oct 03 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Tuning the engine will just make the car get to its top speed in 5th, without changing the box, the cars top possible speed will not change, unless you get a raised limit with a chip

this assumes a cars topspeed is on the rev limit.
Sooty
Banned

19th Oct 03 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:

indeed it does... however most cars top speed is before it hits the limiter... I do not know about the car in question... my gti will not hit the limiter in 5th as it is now I am sure
Daimo B

20th Oct 03 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:

:boggle

Errrrr, so if my car is only doing 130mph at 6500rpm, but wont rev any higher, and i add aftermarket engine modifications which allow the engine to be able to rev up to 7000rpm, then obviously the cars speed will be greater

If the car has the power to reach the rev limiter, then of course the top speed will always be greater than if the car didn't have the power to reach the redline.

Thats what this post is about!!!
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my sport, in 5th, at 40mph i sit at 2kRPM, at 80mph its 4kRPM, at 120mph its 6kRPM, now if i had the rev limit raised to 8kRPM, if there was adequate power and torque, the car would theoretically reach 160mph. Although this would never happen unless it was a turbo monster pumping massive torque.

Dave
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo, if you have the F15 gearbox, at 6500rpm, you would be doing a theoretical 130mph. It really is that simple.
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know for a fact that with standard power in my Sport, i cannot go higher than 6kRPM, it doesnt have the power.
Daimo B

20th Oct 03 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
In my sport, in 5th, at 40mph i sit at 2kRPM, at 80mph its 4kRPM, at 120mph its 6kRPM, now if i had the rev limit raised to 8kRPM, if there was adequate power and torque, the car would theoretically reach 160mph. Although this would never happen unless it was a turbo monster pumping massive torque.

Dave

YEs, but if you had the power (Which as i say, is what the post is about) then you could reach that speed!!

F15 box, 130mph @ 6500rpm, seems a bit high to me considering the F13 box only does 117mph at 6620rpm. But then i haven't got the gearbox so dont know

And Dave, 6000rpm is peak power for the 1.4/1.6 engines, so unless you had your modifications matched to give peak power, or your on a hill then it shouldn't rev any higher than 6k
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually its 5500RPM for peak power.
Regarding the fella who cant reach high enough speeds in his 1.2, the F10 gearbox is a variant of the 4 speed F10 from early 1.2 8v's and Novas. the 5th gear is merely an over-run gear with top speed managed in 4th.
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well 130mph is achieveable if the engine had the power to rev to 6500rpm in 5th. If it was 140mph, the rev counter would read 7kRPM
Daimo B

20th Oct 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Max power on the 1.2 and 1.4 engines is at 6000rpm? GSi's are at 6000rpm? Thought the 1.6 was also?
Cybermonkey

20th Oct 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i think you are right, however it is not benficial to take the engine to these speeds since peak torque is at 5500rpm
Daimo B

20th Oct 03 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bhp gives the peak top speed.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » will tuning an engine 22 database queries in 0.1021521 seconds