corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » RCA's Behind HU Problem

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RCA's Behind HU Problem
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
11th Oct 03 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Was wiring my Amp up today. I've got my RCA's and speaker wire up to my head unit. the wires had to go b-line fashion around the spare instead of around the boot however as the kit i bought didn't reach well - got knows what I've have done had I got a longer car!

Anyway,

the CD changer RCA (which is a lot smaller and flexible than the amps RCA's) is really bent, cos behind the headunit is NO room! I plugged my RCAs in the right-hand-side of the HU but i can't push the HU all the wa back in now 'cos the huge wad of loom that sits behind the HU means I can't get the HU back.

Any ideas what to do? I can't bend the RCA's very well.

BTW I threaded my RCAs and speaker wiring under my steering wheel behind the fuse box - fiddly but ok.

And - Im tapping the speaker wire into the HU's connector plug as I think finding the Vaux front speaker wiring is too hard. the rear speakers are fine but finding the front wiring (for example there are two blue wires - ones a speaker wire, the others the electric mirror wire!).

the Sony HU did come with a free remote turn on connector though which makes things good.

Does anyone have any problems with the depth of their HU and the loom and wiring? Im worried when i try tomorrow the leads simply won't fit and the stereo won't fit back!

help!
Richie

12th Oct 03 at 03:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What i did is removed the ashtray thing underneath then while i was pushing the unit into the din slot i was pulling the wires down so they came out there, then i tucked em away nicely underneath the unit and put the ashtray doovery back on
SXi_Si_2002

12th Oct 03 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you got any pics of the amp in the boot yet mav?
Sparco

12th Oct 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did same as austin, took me ages, it was really pissing me off cause the h/u would get so close or click in at one side but just wouldn't go all the way in. just kept trying until finally it went in with a good shove...lol!
IntaCepta

12th Oct 03 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, did as what austin said as well
Mav 3000

12th Oct 03 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its in now lol - but the HU sits infront of the DIN tray and looks a bit bad - anyone can just pull it out!

the ultrasonics on my alarm don't seem to be working either so its a major worry.

I took the ashtray off too - so good connecting the radio antenna too. Its fairly busy behind there now but its all connected and hooked up.

Pics will be up in my big thread Si.

Cheers Guys,

Rich
Mav 3000

12th Oct 03 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW my HU just doesn't 'click' into place - it never has a don't think. this is a real annoyance. Its a Sony M600r.

I want a new one
corb

12th Oct 03 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has it got the metal clips on the side??
how old is it??
Mav 3000

12th Oct 03 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has got metal clips on it yes. the HU doesn't go far enough back inot the DIN cage for them to do anything though. the HU surround falls off easily, the RCAs at the back stop it going back, and the HU can be pulled out no probs. Its annoying to say the least!

Its about 3.5yrs old.
Richie

12th Oct 03 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the RCA's are getting in the way invest in some right angled RCA's
corb

12th Oct 03 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drop ur ashtray out, one cross-head screw in each corner, then u can get ur hand behind the head unit to pull the cables down and out the way. Then just slide it in!
Richie

12th Oct 03 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What i think he means corb is the same with my old sony, the RCA outputs are actually on the headunit itself, not on wires coming from the unit like pioneer/kenwood/alpine, therefore you have the full length of an RCA plug sticking out the back of the headunit
corb

12th Oct 03 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but there should still be room beind there, ive never had/come across this problem before. You're just freaks!
IntaCepta

12th Oct 03 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think u might have some wires trapped in the cage, thats probably why u can't click it into place.
not sure tho.
Sparco

12th Oct 03 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines a Sony MP30 and yeah, its the fact that the rca's stick straight out of the back of the headunit, right angle one's would definitely sort the prob out. I did manage to get mine in tho with straight rca's, and yeah, it clicked in so it ain't just loose, think yours probably should too mav
Skipz

13th Oct 03 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my Hu is a sony it has three outputs and a sub out which is two wires running from above my aerial they are flimsy as hell so i dont experience that problem at all dunno why you are tho
Mav 3000

13th Oct 03 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is the RCA's - they come straight out the back of the head unit. I didn't know that the other brands have cables coming out from them!

I have seem right angled RCAs but the RCA in my wiring kit are thcik straight ones and there a nightmare to get in. Ive bent them as much as poss, but no clicking - not even near! I'll have to see if I can buy another HU if Im not happy with it 'loose'. theres the Cd changer to think about too - make for make etc etc.

Thanks for the input guys!
Richie

13th Oct 03 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy some right angled RCA's
Mav 3000

13th Oct 03 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But ive just spent two days fitting the other ones!!! There all fitted, covered, cable-tied and everything!
Richie

13th Oct 03 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And also if the headunit is going all the way into the din slot without clicking its worth picking up a new din cage for about £3 or bending the existing pegs.
Richie

13th Oct 03 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then ur gonna want these lovely buggers to go in the back of the unit:

Mav 3000

13th Oct 03 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you fit a new DIN cage further out than the old one (ie could mine be set far beck??) and would my CD changer cable be 'sony specific' like everything Sony is or are they interchangable?

Thanks Austin
Richie

13th Oct 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of the stuff is sony specific.

I dont think you could get the cage to sit furthur out without some proper modifying.
Mav 3000

13th Oct 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those above look just like what I need, but at the back ive 6 RCA sockets - 4 for the amp and two for the changer - so with three on top and three below - how are they gonna fit? ie there angled down but the bottom row of RCAs will be in the way surely?
Mav 3000

13th Oct 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do you get them from as well?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll