corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FIRST NITE WITH THE C16XE

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FIRST NITE WITH THE C16XE
Paul H

User status: Offline
21st Oct 03 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by Edtrix_GSI16V
corsa gsi engines r rubbish in my eyes too brittle u fix one thing another goes wrong!

LMFAO, doesn't know a thing about vauxhall engines then??? Only one of the best lumps vauxhall ever produced, but its russbish yeah
your telling me.that engine is the best one out the lot for tuning and stuff
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get good power figures from it but unless you spend the money having it stengthend its not going to last.
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 03 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have seen some corsas take a hammering and in my eyes, they stand up to punishment well. Its just that when they are poorly maintained that they start to get a little rusty round the edges, so to speak.

Dave
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car is extremely well maintained and its had 3 rebuilds at only 67,000miles So they are not very reliable in my experience.
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But look at the mods you have done to that engine. Do you drive it hard??
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly which means they are not good engines to tune unless you're going to spend the money strengthening the engine too.

No, I don't drive my car hard. I have the odd race but don't drive like that 99% of the time.

They are a brilliant engine don't get me wrong. But if you want to get more out of it then make sure you spend the money making sure it can cope with the power increase otherwise you will have big problems.
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 03 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i think you will find that is with every engine, unless its only a small increase, or japanese. When pushing bigger power all the components are gonna be under bigger strain, this is true of every high compression NA engine.
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say that the 2.0Litre red top was the best engine that Vauxhall made not the 1.6 GSI engine. I think that the 2.0Litre is a better engine tuning wise and is more reliable too. But then thats my opinion and my experience of owning a GSI for four years. My engine bent 8valves the day I bought it and it was standard then. Im just saying in my experience this engine is very unreliable.
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 03 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it does have its problems like the plastic cambelt rollers and tensioners etc etc, even though vauxhall replaced these engines under warranty when they first started going tits up. Other things like the EGR still cause problems today, as well as the wafty handling and lambda fuck ups. You just have to remember that when these engines are put to what they do best and transformed into track monsters, the C16XE TB monster will always be a better engine than the 20XE TB setup. I dont know why this is, but just remember back in the day when vauxhall/opel were putting this engine through its testing, over 150BHP was achievable from a slightly different cam and inlet manifold setup. The fact that it put out more power than its bigger brother, the 20XE shows it is an amzing engine, and all from a 1600! The only reason it puts out 109BHP is because of the mad restrictions vauxhall put on this engine. Roll on the Corsa C GSi in my opinion! It would be interesting to see the reliability of the Z16LET!
vibrio
Banned

21st Oct 03 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will have a tiny turbo to boost low so that it has a wide spread of torque. however lookign at the recent GM turbo engines. there are good mid range. poor low down and up top
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 03 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i suspect this will be true vibs.
wayne hiscock

21st Oct 03 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my m8s on his third gsi engine

but i would do nething to have a gsi back. (there are no good ones for sale)

and i got a bmw and im saying that. thats how much i liked that engine
Daimo B

21st Oct 03 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chewbaccaman
quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by Edtrix_GSI16V
corsa gsi engines r rubbish in my eyes too brittle u fix one thing another goes wrong!

LMFAO, doesn't know a thing about vauxhall engines then??? Only one of the best lumps vauxhall ever produced, but its russbish yeah
your telling me.that engine is the best one out the lot for tuning and stuff

Yup, 250bhp from a 1.6 16v without any forced induction!!!!!
2.1 16v redtop on TB can only manage 290bhp!

1.6 16v came with 150bhp as standard but was de-tuned.

Why do you think the C16XE engiens perform so well with little mods. Donnas car (even with bigger wheels, less torque, more weight) wasn't far off my 2.0 up to 100mph!!!

IM not saying they are the best engeins ever, im just saying they are ONE of the best engines Vauxhall has produced

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Daimo B]
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donnas car (even with bigger wheels, less torque, more weight) wasn't far off my 2.0 up to 100mph!!! - Yeah and then it blew up
Daimo B

21st Oct 03 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WEll, that what happens when you only use a car once a month

PS, reply to my email dammit.
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that was the problem

I already have
miles

21st Oct 03 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What spec is your engine donna?

Perfectly reliable, if you've had 3 engine rebuilds then they are obviously doing something wrong or using the wrong parts.

You cant expect to increase the power a lot without uprating parts. Thats unrealistic. You can increase the power about 50% without uprating anything, not many engines you can do that with.

Mine goes very well and has proved to be reliable to date, touch wood.
Daimo B

21st Oct 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8 of the valves bent when she got the car. It was replaced, but never run 100%. Then the piston shattered in chamber 4. Looks like its done the same again.
Mods

Mantzel Inlet manifold and inlet manifold (As with the C16 kit).
Lexmaul 4-2-1 manifold
CAt back zorst
superchip with riase 7500rpm limit.

Wouldn't say they were using the wrong parts HEr brother works for vauxhall, worked there for years, stripped and re-built it.

It was rebuilt, and run like a dream. Always going wrong if taken above 7k rpm.
miles

21st Oct 03 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did the cam belt snap then?

Something must have been done incorrectly if it didn't run 100% after a head rebuild. Vauxhall parts aint always the best parts, and the vaux mechanics I've come across are monkies with standard things, let alone modified bits.......

Shattered piston? block damage?? Was it the piston that got hit by the valves? Any pics ?

Mine goes to 8k.......
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was running ok but it was running as sweet as a nut after the piston was replaced. My brother and Gary are not Vauxhall monkies they are very good mechanics and I wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my car.
miles

21st Oct 03 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, i've got a mate thats a vaux mechanic, and I'd never let him touch my car.

At the end of the day things dont break without reason.
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the 8 valves bent it was because the cambelt rollers snapped the day before it was booked into vauxhall to have them changed. Ive got SBD metal ones now.
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But surely reving the car to 7500rpm when its not meant to rev anywhere near that is a reason.
miles

21st Oct 03 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the sbd ones as well.

They rev to 6750 as standard dont they? 750rpm aint all that much, apparently mantzel have been taking theirs to 7500 for years without problems.

SBD use standard pistons upto their 184bhp kit for these engines, so if they trust them with about 30bhp and 500rpm more than yours I'd say they shouldn't be a problem.

What happened to this piston? twice?
Donna Corsa GSi

21st Oct 03 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piston four cracked and caused some damage to the cylinder. But the piston was replaced and the cylinder repaired.

And it was running beautiful and then I was playing with a VX220 and I reved the car to 7500rpm and then it lost power and was running on 3 cylinders. Ive done a compression test on it and theres no compression in cylinder 4. Haven't taken it apart yet but I assume its the same problem. Probably needs a re-bore to sort it out.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll