corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » CAM belt gone

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CAM belt gone
IntaCepta

User status: Offline
2nd Oct 03 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought the damage would be relative to the engine revs when the belt snaps??

but whatever the case, ur gonna be spending ££'s if the belt snaps
scorchingpost

2nd Oct 03 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IntaCepta - I'm hoping Jesus really does love me!
Mug shot

2nd Oct 03 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any news
scorchingpost

2nd Oct 03 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope - the wait is killing me, and i can't help but think that as each minute goes by, the cost is rising! Thanks for the concern though.
scorchingpost

2nd Oct 03 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone have a corsa engine they don't need?
mickp

2nd Oct 03 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine had done 59k when mine went but it was covered by the garage warranty but it cost bout 800 quid mate. Needed belt, tensioners, valves and the head re done (oh and i was doin 6000 rpm )
scorchingpost

2nd Oct 03 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work! I'm kind of wishing I was redlining it at the time as (a) i'd have felt like i deserved it and (b) on this evidence its a cheaper repair than at low revs!

still haven't heard from the garage - i suspect my engine is literally in pieces on the forecourt!
cobra148

2nd Oct 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This might cheer you up a bit... I had the belt snap on a 1.4 16v. I was expecting a mega repair bill. Luckily, it was only one bent valve. I bought a new one for about £12 and had a local garage sort it out.
If your letting a Vauxhall dealer look at it, then expect a big bill.
miles

2nd Oct 03 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone who pays more than £400 is a mug. You can buy complete new engines for less than that.

Your probably looking at some bent valves. Valves are about £15 each, there is 16 of them. How many are bent depends how far the engine turned after it happened. Did you try and start it afterwards?

Get them to get all parts from www.autovaux.co.uk

Philastrasport was selling a complete set of secondhand valves on here i beleive. You can get complete heads for about £150-£200 which will be bolt on.

Its unlikely that the pistons will be damaged, maybe dented, which isn't ideal, but they would still be useable.

8v's damage just as much as 16v's, but they only have 8v to bend to dont cost as much, plus 8v parts are cheaper.

How much it costs depends mainly on how much labour the garage are going to charge you, and how much parts cost.
Meat-Pie-SRI

2nd Oct 03 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it depends how many valves, pistons etc that it has damaged, could be 300 quid, could be 1300 if it really has damaged it badly
AdiSRI

2nd Oct 03 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Meat-Pie-SRI
it depends how many valves, pistons etc that it has damaged, could be 300 quid, could be 1300 if it really has damaged it badly

Exactly, and i was told with the design of the small vaux 16v engines its almost certain that all 16v will be bent.
Thats £240 + labour.
Then the pistons, now unlike MILES above i wudnt drive a car with an engine that had damaged pistons!!!! so your looking at more cash for those. Then a new head is needed, and ob a new cambelt, pulleys etc.... all adding up, at least £600 of parts + labour which is hefty!
And then u still have the uncertainty of driving about with an engine that has had massive stress put through it through the meeting of pistons and valves!
I didnt want a second hand engine and therefore had to pay the price for a new one, but at least with mine if anything goes wrong in the 1st year its a warrenty job and so wont cost me a penny.

[Edited on 02-10-2003 by AdiSRI]
M2RTY

2nd Oct 03 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i snapped mine at 90mph, only 3 went

take it to a cheap no vaux garage and buy a 2nd hand head with valves

i managed to fix mine for less than 60 quid

30 for head
12 for gaskets
8 for belt
Adam-D

2nd Oct 03 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u get me u2u m2rv h?
Jcorsasri

2nd Oct 03 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iwork in a cyl head reconditioning shop and we often get 16v corsa's mostly the 1.4 16v sports. most of these are cam belt snaps which in turn bend most of the valves, usually crack the guides, damage the seats which also need tobe re-cut or new ones pressed in,if its cheap you have got off lightly, hope so for your sake
OzzySRi

3rd Oct 03 at 06:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not just go to the breakers n pick up a complete head, pressure test it, surface grind it n fit it with a vrs kit? wont help tho if the piston r heavily damaged
miles

3rd Oct 03 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the pistons are damaged pick up a complete new engine for about £250, fit that for about £100-150 labour, then sell old engine parts for a hundred or so and its a fairly cheap job.

On a standard engine engine thats done a few miles fitting new pistons just isn't worth while when replacement engines are available so cheaply.

I'd also rather risk a small dent in the top of the piston than spend about £600 on a new set with engine rebuild.
scorchingpost

3rd Oct 03 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car still in surgery - no estimates yet, but all these tips are food for thought. Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you up to date when I get the estimate.
Dave Hay

3rd Oct 03 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be cheaper putting new engine in......

in saying that anyone who buys a 16v vaux the first job you should do/have done is to get timing belt/pullers/runners changed as its not worth not doing it!

cost me £200 at garage to get belt replaced cos i wanted a garage to do it as it looks better when selling/if something does go wrong you can blame some1 else too!

i really dont see why there taking so long to give you estimate as they only need to take head off and go oh ok its fecked - go hunt for second hand low mileage engines to replace yours with
scorchingpost

3rd Oct 03 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping its just coz I landed on them yesterday with no prior warning and they're only a small garage, so had other jobs on. (either that or they're about to slap a whole days labour on me!)
miles

3rd Oct 03 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434692004&category=10404

Dave Hay

3rd Oct 03 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell the to gtf if they do as garage have timescales to do there work and it doesnt take a whole day to get the head off a car! the inlet manifold is a bitch on these engines though
miles

3rd Oct 03 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inlet manifold can come off with the head.

The book time for a head gasket change is 4hours.
scorchingpost

3rd Oct 03 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

appreciate the link to ebay miles - are garages generally ok fitting parts that they haven't sourced themselves? Also - any idea what that cam timing kit is actually worth?
Dave Hay

3rd Oct 03 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be a fun job getting new head up and running with inlet manifold still on though?
Dave Hay

3rd Oct 03 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

costs over £100 from vaux for cam kit

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll