corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ideas about speed cameras

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ideas about speed cameras
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Aug 03 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know if any one agrees with me on this one but i think there should be a larger number of incremental penalties for speeding. Currently it roughly stands that between 10% and 30mph over the limit you get 3 points and a £60 fine and 30mph+ could result in a ban or 6 points and a larger fine at least.

I think there should be more increments tho. I was recently caught doing 37 in a 30mph zone, fair enuff, but i get 3 points and a £60 fine the same as wot someone who would have been doing 59mph in the same zone. He is far more danger than my measly 7mph speeding break.

Would it not make more sense to do sumthing like this....

10% - 10mph over the limit: 2 Points £30 Fine
10mph - 20mph over the limit 3 points £30 Fine
20mph - 30mph over the limit 3 points £60 Fine
30mph+ Possible ban/6 points

I mean maybe you all agree with the current ruling i dont know ?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Aug 03 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or even maybe

10% - 10mph over the limit: 1 Point £60 Fine
10mph - 20mph over the limit 2 points £60 Fine
20mph - 30mph over the limit 3 points £60 Fine
30mph+ Possible ban/6 points
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Aug 03 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Increments like that are too difficult to enforce. You'd need to prove that you were inside any particular window basically down to the last mph. It might be that you could plead guilty to a higher speed and be let off with the conviction for the speed that you were doing. The margin of error on a speed camera is frightening!
Steve
Premium Member

6th Aug 03 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how can they prove that i was doing 37 and not 33 then (33 being within the 10% margin of error)??
MattyB

6th Aug 03 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not bad ideas there steve, not bad
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Aug 03 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because 37 +/- 10% is still the same offence. If it took you to a different offence code they'd have to throw the first case out and re-prosecute you.
Rob H

6th Aug 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The margin of error on a speed camera is frightening!

Why's that? Heared rumours about the German government scrapping a certain type of gatso because of how inaccurate it is, but not sure which one, or the exact info on it.

Also does anyonw know anything about supposed calibration certificates that are supposed to varify the accuracy of the speed camera. Heard (again rumours) that if you request for one of these certificates, and they cannot present it, you can get the case dropped.

Another thing (Last one now ), when you get caught speeding by a hand held radar gun, i always though they were supposed to pull you over and show you the speed indicated on the radar gun. Otherwise surely thay can just write you a letter saying you got caught speeding, and have no evidence of it, and you being oblivious to it untill the Intention of prosecution letter lands on your door step.

[Edited on 06-08-2003 by Rob H]
Tommy

6th Aug 03 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talk to our resident copper
Steve
Premium Member

6th Aug 03 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think they should do anybody until they are at least 10mph+ over the limit, i.e. 40mph+ in a 30, at the end of the day 9mph or so aint exactly gunna make any difference, and at least they can be sure that u were deffo breaking the limit that way
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, your crap at Maths so stop trying to make out your clever. Hehehe. Anyway, there is no way that the Speedo thing is accurate so what would happen if you was doing 33 in a 30 zone?

Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve, how long did it take for the letter to come through after you got done on the camera?
Steve
Premium Member

6th Aug 03 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bout a week why?
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering really. How easy is it to fit a new Stereo into my 106? It's a 5 door and has the speaker covers in the back two doors but no speakers in there. It's got speakers in the front doors. What is the best type of speakers to get that will fit inside the covers. I listen to mainly club music and a bit o pop.
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also having problems with power. In 2nd gear the power seems to be coming of and off, sometimes happens in 1st too. Any ideas what is wrong with it? It's going into a Peugeot garage tomorrow and i just don't want them to fuck me off as it's under warranty.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Aug 03 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boyrac3r i believe your answer lies here

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=3
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boyrac3r
Also having problems with power. In 2nd gear the power seems to be coming of and off, sometimes happens in 1st too. Any ideas what is wrong with it? It's going into a Peugeot garage tomorrow and i just don't want them to fuck me off as it's under warranty.

Cheers Steve. Any idea about the above?
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Aug 03 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, a camera (or indeed any RADAR device) is only accurate if you head directly toward or away from it. Obviously you don't with a speed camera as they're at the side of the road not above it, or they're much higher than your car like on motorway bridges.

There's some maths behind it which I can't find at the moment but suffice to say, you couldn't prosecute with 100% accuracy, they have to be upheld on estimations.

[Edited on 06-08-2003 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Aug 03 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boyrac3r
Take it in and take a mechanic out and show him.
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, the problem is that it's not happening all the time. I took it in a few weeks ago and they said it was a bit of dirt in the gearbox or bad Petrol. Huh? At that time it was just crunching when going through the gears but now it keeps losing power. The car its self is now getting dangerous and I’m just hoping they sort the problem out. Went to change lanes today, put my foot down, the power kicked in and then just died again.

Ian
Site Administrator

6th Aug 03 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave it with them?
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, they are taking it in tomorrow night and keeping it all day on Friday. Not much more i can do really. They said they are gonna get it up on the ramps but i dunno with that garage!!!
mattyboy199

6th Aug 03 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sensible steve returns
Craig6682

6th Aug 03 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was jsut thinking that
3CorsaMeal

7th Aug 03 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was caught at 91mph in a 70mph, and was chuffed to get 3 points and £60, was expecting 6 points.....
blebo

7th Aug 03 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Rob, a camera (or indeed any RADAR device) is only accurate if you head directly toward or away from it. Obviously you don't with a speed camera as they're at the side of the road not above it, or they're much higher than your car like on motorway bridges.

There's some maths behind it which I can't find at the moment but suffice to say, you couldn't prosecute with 100% accuracy, they have to be upheld on estimations.

[Edited on 06-08-2003 by Ian]

Pythagoris (sp) right angle triangles. if the spped camera is 3 meteres from the side of the road and you travel 4m past it it will register as 5

(3x3) + (4x4) = (5x5) if ya see what I mean

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ideas about speed cameras 22 database queries in 0.1895449 seconds