corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Vauxhaul restricting engines on purpose...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhaul restricting engines on purpose...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
11th Jul 03 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Vauxhaul purposely restricted engines like the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v on purpose so that it didn't compete with the higher specs (hence you can get a velo's torque tube or whatever to release the power)

but, does anyone think the 1.2 16v is in any way restricted? as to follow the trend and not challenge the 1.4

Just wondering about this because whats the 1.4 unrestricted (with a torque tube or whatever) - 105+ bhp?

the 1.2 is only 200 cc smaller and that'd mean if it isn't restricted at all on purpose its over 30 bhp down on the 1.4??

Doesn't this seem a bit of a large difference of power for 200cc?

I know there are no products for unrestricting the 1.2 16v engine - but still curious to know whether it was limited at all?

Thanks,

Paul J
chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Jul 03 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doog thought. for the corsa B or C or both
Rob H

11th Jul 03 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was restricted, thered be product to un restrict it. the reason its not that powerfull is because thats how it was designed. Stuff like the cam duration/lift, and valve sizes will have been taken into account to produce the desired power output.
MikeH

11th Jul 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes you wonder why they didn't do that for the 1.4 aqnd 1.6 though!

Wish the 1.2 was restricted... coz i have one
Paul_J

11th Jul 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true - but I would of assumed that it might be coz the power / cost ratio would mean the demand would not be v.high thus was never a product to unrestrict it?

Just curious if anyone know's the 2 engines well? wasn't it something to do with the inlet area having another 330 degree's of pipe to go through?

Paul J
moddedcorsa

11th Jul 03 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the 1.2 16v is slow (75 bhp), try the 1.2 8v (45bhp) then u will no what slow is!!
sxi boy

11th Jul 03 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the corsa B 1.2 16v engine is in fact 76bhp, and not 65bhp as vauxhall stated.

vauxhall fiddled the power and 0-60 figures for this engine so it would get a lower insurance group and tax rating.

this was important as this engine in particular was aimed at women and younger drivers to whom insurance would matter most sorta thing.

corsa c 1.2 16v is no faster than the corsa b 1.2 16v
AdiSRI

11th Jul 03 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.4 16v / 1.6 16v did have a real dodgy inlet manifold with lots of turns, im gonna get the velos torque tube soon, see what kind of diffo that makes!!
Adam_B

11th Jul 03 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt it, i think the 1.2 16v is a completley different engine from the 1.4, 1.6 and the 2.0 16v as there all from the xe family. I might be wrong but i dont think u get a 12xe
Paul_J

11th Jul 03 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if the 1.2 16v is unrestricted... then how did they get the 1.4 16v unrestricted to push out 112.5 bhp!

thats a whooping gain of 37.5 bhp for 200 cc!!!!

I'm curious as to whether they did tone the 1.2 16v down too just for the fact that they're market was low insurance and good fuel economy - and thus didn't want it to compete with the 'Sport' model.

Punto's have the sporting 1.2 16v engine that pushes out 85 bhp.

I'm slightly curious to see what people who actually know the internals of the 1.2 16v and 1.4 16v engine could say?

Paul J
Adam_B

11th Jul 03 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cylinder head on the 1.4 16v and 16 16v was designed by Lotus and is very very efficent
Paul_J

11th Jul 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Cylinder head on the 1.4 16v and 16 16v was designed by Lotus and is very very efficent

I'm guessing the cylinder head on the 1.2 16v must of been done designed by Mr Blooby then 37.5 bhp difference is bloody crazyness!

You gotta admit it does seem to make sense? vauxhaul make a decent engine for 1.2 16v and then tune it down so it gives good fuel economy and low insurance while still being nippy.

hehe (I can hope)

Paul J
WaNtEd_CoRsA

11th Jul 03 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

messing with power and 0-60 figures - has nothing to do with tax rating.
Adam_B

11th Jul 03 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can just see all the Vaux boffins stood around the first 1.2 16v after testing -

"Aw bollocks weve done it again lads, acordin to this its pushin 140bhp. Pass us some of that rubber tubin, lets knock up another stupid inlet manifold"
paul_spurrell

11th Jul 03 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy

vauxhall fiddled the power and 0-60 figures for this engine so it would get a lower insurance group and tax rating.

this was important as this engine in particular was aimed at women and younger drivers to whom insurance would matter most sorta thing.

the 16v engine in the b is different to the 16v engine in the c
lacky75

11th Jul 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WaNtEd_CoRsA
messing with power and 0-60 figures - has nothing to do with tax rating.

it might not make any differance with tax rating? thats to do with the size of the engine, but it sure as hell does affect the insurance there was an article in motorworld recently regarding that subject.

the 1.2 from what im told is only restriced by the fact it has 2 very restrictive cats (catalytic convertors) apparently if u where to replace the manifold (it has 1 of the cats mounted there) for a cat-less manifold and replace the other cat ( for a less retrictive one) then that would free up a nice amount of power!!

but there isnt anything on the market at the moment that allows u to do this.

sxi boy

12th Jul 03 at 06:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by paul_spurrell
quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy

the 16v engine in the b is different to the 16v engine in the c

yes they are different but they both push out the same power.
Kris TD

12th Jul 03 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can just see all the Vaux boffins stood around the first 1.2 16v after testing -

"Aw bollocks weve done it again lads, acordin to this its pushin 140bhp. Pass us some of that rubber tubin, lets knock up another stupid inlet manifold"

actually they didnt cos its a suzuki engine along with the 1.0, the 1.4 and 1.6 are vaux engines.
matt_jonesuk

12th Jul 03 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

was'nt the 1.48 valve head designed by lotus to?
Tom

12th Jul 03 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh the 1.2 16v is never gonna eb quick there is more tuning available for the 1.4 and 1.6 16v's

Altho sayin that i'm currently tuning up my 1.4 mpi 8v, after a 4 branch manifold and decat if anyones got one

already got full s/s exhaust induction kit (rolleyes: ) and superchip.
MikeH

12th Jul 03 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So has anyone actually dyno tested a 1.2 16v corsa B? To see if the vauxhall figures are wrong or not.

I've always felt my 1.2 16v performed better than expected. When i bought it i was resigned to the fact i'd not be overtaking much in it.... but it surprised me allot!
Thoday

12th Jul 03 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm is the 1.0 restricted,, it doesnt seem to move at all much??
Dan_Corsa

13th Jul 03 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dbilas-dynamic.de/English/dbilas.html

they make 1 of these inlet manifolds for 1.2 16v aswel giving a claimed 25bhp

[Edited on 13-07-2003 by Dan_Corsa]
M4tt

13th Jul 03 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno if n e ones said this, didn't see as i skimmed though, but the 1.0 and 1.2 16v were designed by suzuki, where as the 1.4 and 1.6 were built with lotus.

so they have completely different designs. the inlet manifold is the most restrictive element in the 1.4 and 1.6 but it may not be in the 1.0 and 1.2.
blackula

13th Jul 03 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well is the Dbilas manifold gives 23 bhp according to he site when you also upgrade the ecu, (price included) then thats conclusive proof the engine in general is 'restricted' from the factory. I mean I drilled my airbox and fed a pipe from the air box 7 inches to the front grille or so and junked the resonator and inlet pipe and it made shed loads of difference, If i drive against my mate in an identical mileage 1.2 sxi I can pull away from...it used to be dead level. And the naysayers told me I'd probably not even got 1 bhp gain, ignorant twats !

I'd guestimate drilling the airbox, revising a cold air feed and K&N element gives about 10 bhp. Otherwise any gain less would never let you pull away.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll