corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Covid-19 - medical aspects

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Covid-19 - medical aspects
Colin

User status: Offline
11th Apr 20 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple streets away had a lockdown street party last night, DJ and light booth, everyone dancing and drinking in in their own gardens. Quite civil to start with, as soon as drink and darkness set in...turned to mayhem. Folk wandering round like it was 1999. Cops round in numbers to close it down. What the fuck did they think was gonna happen....as in the organisers ffs!
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Apr 20 at 23:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lock down parties, yes, still some people on the internet not getting it. I've taken a few on but you know you're getting nowhere. Police stopped a couple going camping in the Lakes having come from Leicester and a lot of replies were asking what harm they were doing. Photo was in a petrol station so one can assume someone had gone in to pay and that it would only take one infected person to infect the cashier on the petrol station and a lot of people who went in afterwards would be at greater risk. Quite simple epidemiology and I find it remarkable that people don't grasp it. I've only really taken a proper interest last few months in this medical stuff mostly I think because its quite mathematical so you can see where the numbers are going. As the Police often say about criminals, which is also true of the virus and/or people trying to stay virus-free. The Police only need to be lucky once, the criminals need to be lucky every time. Ditto the virus, it only needs to be lucky once. My diabetic misses for whom infection would be a fucking disaster has to be lucky and stay lucky and even then you never know. I still need to shop and even though I'm trying to get click and collect slots you still need to talk to people to arrange getting it and the car park ushers with all respect to them for that horrible job I think have all resigned themselves to getting it and don't really appear to be taking as much care. Probably coughed and breathed on so much by now they're resigned to being ill.

Restrictions being lifted - yes when you consider their data is on the way down. UK is not. Think there's a site you can compare the graphs and you I think will see Spain and Italy both having fewer deaths per day compared to previous days as a fairly reliable trend. I think.

UK death toll compared to others, difficult to say but I did see the UK tracks Italy quite well so although there are some demographic differences you don't know whether those are going to help you out. Spain lockdown also more severe I think, meaning UK will take longer to peak. UK policy was deliberately infect people and although I've criticised them for acting late I also don't think that was deliberate. Compare UK and Spanish exit strategy, more severe lockdown is more likely to encourage a second wave. The Tories may be planning to spread it about a touch more but actually what you lose in early deaths you gain in having fewer later. Plus if you don't fuck the economy as much the healthcare system is in a better state in the future.

Could always use EU money to cover the economic loss.....

[Edited on 11-04-2020 by Ian]
DaveyLC

12th Apr 20 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone I know locally organised a piss up at a local river, a few people showed up and he posted photos on FB and when anyone called them out for being dickheads they basically threatened them.

Pricks.
SetH

12th Apr 20 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Couple streets away had a lockdown street party last night, DJ and light booth, everyone dancing and drinking in in their own gardens. Quite civil to start with, as soon as drink and darkness set in...turned to mayhem. Folk wandering round like it was 1999. Cops round in numbers to close it down. What the fuck did they think was gonna happen....as in the organisers ffs!

Great idea in principal but like you said was only going to go one way!

Did they end up wandering around in the street or going into each others gardens?

Did anyone take cock?
SetH

12th Apr 20 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just figured it all out

Baby Boomers had the best years in any modern society.

Now Gen X, Millennials and Gen Z are giving up futures and livelihoods to protect them.

Boomers were not the world war veterans that we owe everything too and they are also the biggest moaning elitist cunts around.

Just let them die

* Disclaimer Troll entertainment purposes
gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Apr 20 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Matt Hancock. Kind of agreed with everything said so far but kind of a bit disgruntled the other day with what he was uttering about the NHS been careless with PPE. I am yet to see anyone at work be wasteful with it and the only reason it was been used differently was the ever changing guidelines from public health England.
Not his finest moment that one. Pissed a good few people off with it.

Also Ian I went full on food shopping at aldi for the first time yesterday since the proper lockdown.
Fully agree with all of your Facebook rants now
People are fucking hopeless always the useless washed up looking ones too.
Bloke reaches over my shoulder for something so I give him a filthy look. Then goes off on one telling me it's alright because he has a mask on
A) not the point
B) it's on inside out
C) it's loose and upside down
Prick!

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
DaveyLC

13th Apr 20 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did everybody watch Boris' video? I've never seen him so humble and sincere.
SetH

13th Apr 20 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Did everybody watch Boris' video? I've never seen him so humble and sincere.

Yes, pretty clear he realises that could have been it for him.

What an honour for the two nurses that looked after him, stories for their children and grandkids for the rest of their lives.
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just read through this thread. Scary shit.

I almost succumbed to H1N1 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome just over a year ago, and only ECMO at a hospital over 100 miles from my home kept me alive. The absolute sickest of people that stand a chance of survival are receiving the same treatment, and we only have approx 20 ECMO machines for adults.

Other than catching this virus, my main concern is now long it'll stick around, and will it dominate our lives for a long long time.

[Edited on 13-04-2020 by Aaron]
DaveyLC

13th Apr 20 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
I've just read through this thread. Scary shit.

I almost succumbed to H1N1 and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome just over a year ago, and only ECMO at a hospital over 100 miles from my home kept me alive. The absolute sickest of people that stand a chance of survival are receiving the same treatment, and we only have approx 20 ECMO machines for adults.

Other than catching this virus, my main concern is now long it'll stick around, and will it dominate our lives for a long long time.

Wow you're very lucky there was a machine available at all

I bet you've got some funky bullet hole looking scars on your neck/chest.
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. Lovely scar on the right side of my neck for the ECMO cannula, and a scar on the front for the tracheostomy (where the ventilator was plugged in). Then numerous small scars where I had injections for blood lines + medication lines for infusion pumps.

I actually ripped the trachy out of my neck (I was off ECMO at that point, thankfully) + the NG tube from out of my nose (pipe was all the way into my stomach to liquid feed me), during a psychotic episode caused by the medication they were giving me. This is a very common thing.

I was in a coma for 11 days. I've written a book about it, which raises money for an ECMO related charity.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus Christ, quite a story that

This is what pisses me off about this time around, these conspiracy idiots have no clue about exactly the shit that people go through.

You ask the average joe on the street what is H1N1 they will say it only affects foreigners and its nothing to worry about.

The reality for some is much different!!
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed. I was ill over Christmas and NYE 2018 (I was put into my coma in 2018 and emerged in 2019...that was odd). Amazingly i was back at work on a phased return by Feb 25th.

My work place (approx 70 in our building, but roughly 2000 in total in other buildings across the country) organised for the annual Flu jab to be given to anyone who wanted it. Our office gobshite who likes the sound of her own voice couldn't stop yapping about how she isn't "at risk" and therefore wouldn't be getting the jab. She's a very similar age to me (mid 30s). Sadly she's also shagging the boss of the building, so me walking over and screaming in her face had to be put on hold...

Book link here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Back-Mr-Aaron-Wilkinson/dp/1706528345/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=to+the+dark+and+back&qid=1586799674&sr=8-1

There's a thin content website and FB page setup also, showing pics of all the machinery that kept me alive.

https://tothedarkandback.com/ - My Mrs has done most of the updates on here tbh.

and search FB for "To the Dark and Back"

Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those photos in bed

You do wonder where you even start rigging someone up to all that and the amount of life and death decisions every minute you're in there.

More people should definitely see that type of thing, had some cunt on Facebook the other day saying it doesn't matter if the NHS are busy because 'that's their job'. Like they're not arsed if the number of patients coming in that serious is any higher than it absolutely needs to be.

Are you not tempted to make a Facebook post saying this is me last time we had a virus outbreak, don't be such a gang of cunts about this one please.
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, it’s insane. I’ve since had a 6 month follow-up meeting with some of the doctors and nurses that made the trip to Hull, operated on me to plug me into ECMO and then drive me back to Leicester on mad-Friday 2018. I even got to go on the ward and see the various bed-spaces that I was placed in.

I’ve seen so much ignorance on FB over the last few weeks. I try to not get too involved, because it’s just impossible to argue with an idiot.
SetH

13th Apr 20 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting factual website (without the black death fear mongering), just thought I'd share

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
I try to not get too involved, because it’s just impossible to argue with an idiot.

Must be quite insulting to you as well as someone who has been through that absolute horror seeing people being flippant. I'm a bit taken aback being honest mate, never really seen anyone in that state and certainly not talked to them afterwards

Doesn't take much for things to get fucking real
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you’re right. To have come out the other side of my treatment with only scars is very rare.

My wife and parents were told by the ECMO surgeon that I had a 2/3 chance of survival if she (my wife) signed the consent form for him to operate on me. If I wasn’t put on ECMO at that point I would have died within 12 hours of multi organ failure (the very same thing killing the poor Covid 19 people)

Remember the Top Gear episode when the gang took 4x4s across Bolivia and The Andes? They put oximeter devices on the end of their fingers to measure the oxygen levels in their blood. The average is between 95 and 100. The TG guys readings were in the mid/high 80s when at the top of the mountains. Mine was in the 60s when the GP called me an ambulance. He actually thought the first oximeter he tried on me was malfunctioning, so he got another. Same reading on the 2nd one of course.

Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you catch what he said when he saw the number in the 60s

Must have been a bit of an oh fuck moment but he'll also have known the work that goes in to rectifying it, big job coming up.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Interesting factual website (without the black death fear mongering), just thought I'd share

Half way through, all makes sense but nurses and bus drivers don't normally die in service. I can't get past that.
Aaron

13th Apr 20 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Did you catch what he said when he saw the number in the 60s

Must have been a bit of an oh fuck moment but he'll also have known the work that goes in to rectifying it, big job coming up.

I kinda remember yeah. His face just dropped, and I remember him saying something like “oh, erm...you need to go to the hospital”

My health was nose diving by this point. I’d been ill for a full week, getting worse and worse by the day. At the moment when he mentioned “hospital” and “pneumonia”, everything started to slow right down.

I wasn’t sure if he meant I had to get into my car and drive to the hospital (amazingly, I’d driven to the docs), or by some other means. Turns out it was an ambulance.
SetH

13th Apr 20 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Half way through, all makes sense but nurses and bus drivers don't normally die in service. I can't get past that.

Clinicians do die during epidemics, 5 minutes on google shows me deaths from previous viruses including things such as Ebola from exposed medical professionals. Risk mitigated by the correct PPE.... oh wait..

Bus drivers dying during service? i expect highly unlikely other then a fatal road traffic accident although I am sure there are instances of heart attacks, strokes etc whilst conducting their job (I understand that this is not as a direct result of undertaking their service).

I am not being pedantic, I am illustrating the interpretation of things which is very applicable to this Covid-19 situation when assessing mortality, infection rates etc.
SetH

13th Apr 20 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To those* that believe everything peddled by the fear monger , sensationalist rating seeking mongs at sky news. Adam Boulton was on about putting apples in the oven to kill the virus today during the daily question time with the expert panel.

* Appears to be most people on social media, glued to sky news. In fact on my walk yesterday I walked past many houses where I can see the TV from the road. guess which channel was on?

[Edited on 13-04-2020 by SetH]
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So presumably the H1N1/ARDS diagnosis was all later on? Like that GP who turned up didn't know there any hypoxemia until they measured it and the first time he saw it was when it was already tanking?

That is one saving grace just now, its not going to be such a surprise. I'm convinced that's why Boris did so well, he was already hooked up and as soon as the SPO2 fell he was already down the corridor on the way to ICU.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 20 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I am not being pedantic, I am illustrating the interpretation of things which is very applicable to this Covid-19 situation when assessing mortality, infection rates etc.

Yes quite and the bus driver thing is highly conspicuous for me. But yes, you'd need to know all the factors at play. I just think that many dead is highly unusual so has to come from viral loads through prolonged contact. Almost makes sense already although absolutely the science should be fully trustworthy.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Covid-19 - medical aspects 23 database queries in 0.1879590 seconds