corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Steering rack MOT question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steering rack MOT question
moka

User status: Offline
10th Apr 17 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got advisory for the following:

Nearside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

Can someone show me exactly what part needs replacing please? Not sure if its the rod ends, the rack mounts? or something else?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Apr 17 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rack ends fairly common on the C
moka

11th Apr 17 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-VAUXHALL-CORSA-C-OUTER-TRACK-TIE-ROD-ENDS-AND-INNER-STEERING-RACK-ENDS-/150984861600?

Would this be the cause of the slightly 'loose' feel with the steering (not as precise as it once was) and the slight knocking noise I hear when moving the wheel left and right quickly (while stationary). It sounds like the noise is in the column so was going to check the UJ?

You say it's common - Is it dangerous? Will it eventually give and break?

[Edited on 11-04-2017 by moka]
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Apr 17 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Part yes, loose yes, dangerous not really but not ideal. Will get worse, doubtful that you'd lose steering but vagueness isn't the best news.

It'll probably fail next time so it needs doing.

Normally needs tracking afterwards so if you're wondering whether to do it yourself factor that in.

[Edited on 11-04-2017 by Ian]
moka

11th Apr 17 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the help so far Ian. One more question...

I have read online that Vauxhall started to do a steering rack repair kit which contained some sort of rubber mount part that fixed the common steering rack issues you speak about. I think this is it: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/S1gAAOSwsN9XBPci/$_58.JPG

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Corsa-C-All-Models-2001-to-2006-Steering-Rack-Repair-Kit-/252285122153

Have you seen these before? Will it help my situation or is it unrelated?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Apr 17 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not familiar with that, probably wise to strip it down and see what is what before buying anything.

New Poll