corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Pokemon Go!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pokemon Go!
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Jul 16 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fat people need to stop eating so much shit and do some proper exercise.

They wont get healthy from playing Pokemon go
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Walking around, with a purpose or not, is not exercise.

You consume more energy walking than sitting therefore it is exercise. What you mean is it isn't intense cardiovascular exercise. I regularly get my heart rate above 100bpm by walking briskly which is considered light exercise; good for improving things such as increasing your metabolic rate.
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wont make a jot of difference to anyone that is considered unhealthily fat
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

That's complete bollocks, walking is good regardless of your level of fitness. It's low impact, and most people can sustain a higher heart rate for hours on end whilst walking.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree that walking around looking for pokemon will have anything other than an un-measurable amount of effect on someones health.

Sorry if that opinion angers you so much you feel the need to use profanity.
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Quite the opposite. A person considered obese by BMI will use far more energy walking than a 'normal' weighted person. If this is prolonged and energy intake is reduced, the person will see weight loss drastically faster than someone of average weight.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I disagree that walking around looking for pokemon will have anything other than an un-measurable amount of effect on someones health.

Generally, maintaining a moderate heartrate for a longer period is better than short bursts of intense workout with a very high heart rate.

The fitter you get, the faster you need to walk or the more intense your workout needs to get in order to achieve that "moderate heartrate" so just walking round for an hour hunting pokemon will have diminishing returns on somebody already quite fit.

For your typical gamer/nerd or just normal inactive person - having motivation and a reason to go walking for hours is a very good thing.

This isn't new to Pokemon either, has this "fitbit" fad not hit your social group yet? Old people, fatties, etc are just walking round to get their "steps up" everyday and meet arbitrary goals. Adding Pokemon to these arbitrary goals is a genius way of applying to people who otherwise would not be bothered, but we'll see if it stands the test of time.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Sorry if I offended you, but this isn't an opinion vs opinion issue. It's science vs you being a mong

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't arguing that someone who was fit would see an equal gain, just that someone that isn't won't see any difference from looking for Pokemon.

You can try to spin it how you want, walking around is not an alternative to proper exercise. Walking to me is just a normal activity, like breathing.

[Edited on 26-07-2016 by Steve]
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you do with the Pokémon once you've caught them?

Is it a bit like collecting football stickers i.e. you do nothing with them once you've got them?
Ellis

26th Jul 16 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Brisk walking gained the status of exercise after a landmark 1989 Cooper Institute study came to a surprising finding: that people who were only moderately fit were significantly less likely to die of heart disease than those who never got off the couch"
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Comparing moderately fit people to people who never get off the couch - of course there is going to be less risk

I have seen these studies already, i just dont buy them, I cant see how you can ever quantify those findings and back them up.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
What do you do with the Pokémon once you've caught them?

Is it a bit like collecting football stickers i.e. you do nothing with them once you've got them?

It can be, or you can level them up and battle them at Gyms... which are "real world" locations such as pubs, cinemas, post offices, etc.

Pokemon seem to be territorial too, so you need to go to different "types" of place to collect them all. The obvious ones being, you need to be near water to catch the fish type...

It encourages you to wander away from your usual routine.

As much as I still disagree with Steve, walking is a fine way of exercising - it is quite probably offset by the risk of walking out in front of a bus, train, car, off a cliff, etc

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jul 16 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Comparing moderately fit people to people who never get off the couch - of course there is going to be less risk

I have seen these studies already, i just dont buy them, I cant see how you can ever quantify those findings and back them up.

http://blog.cliniccompare.co.uk/how-many-pokemon-do-you-need-catch-lose-pound-weight

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Generation

26th Jul 16 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lost 4.5 stone last year...

Walking 7/8 miles everyday

True story, based on real events not words online
Generation

27th Jul 16 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some decent ones today. Had a blastoise, but after 6 failed pokeballs he ran away

pow
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell Steve. I bet before your new bird you'd never been to a gym in your life
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet before your last bird you'd never had a shag in your life
pow
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's incorrect
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Jul 16 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY with your hand don't count pow
LukesCorsaSXi

28th Jul 16 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got level 20 last night. Walked 65KM so far in just under 3 weeks. With the weather being so nice we've been walking round country parks daily. Great fun.
R Lee

29th Jul 16 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read up about some updates.
We'll be getting them as soon as the release for the rest of the other countries have happened.
Cavey

29th Jul 16 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully you'll be able to lock the fucking screen and still get mileage. Sick and tired of turning on airplane mode or changing the time to Hawaii or something
MikeF86

29th Jul 16 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
I lost 4.5 stone last year...

Walking 7/8 miles everyday

True story, based on real events not words online

You must be/have been a right fat fuck.

True story.
Generation

30th Jul 16 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yeah... That's why I did something about it...

Not really are what you're getting at, apart from re iterating what I've already said

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll