corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cheap Euro road trip car ideas

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap Euro road trip car ideas
boylers11

User status: Offline
15th Mar 16 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and a few mates are thinking of doing a long weekend road trip late summer time, possibly with a lap or two of the Ring thrown in time permitting.
Instead of taking our dailies or project cars for various reasons, we are thinking of each buying a car for £300-£400 to sell on when we get back.
No major requirements really, other than cheap and nippy ie not a 1.0 Micra.
Ideas would be great
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Mar 16 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha I'm doing the exact same thing with mates in August. Was going to post up a similar thread, interested to hear suggestions.

MX5 Project Thread
Ian W

15th Mar 16 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did it last year in a Volvo V70 which was great but at every point would have rather been in my TT. Unless there is a very strong reason why not to use your regular car just do that!
boylers11

15th Mar 16 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
Haha I'm doing the exact same thing with mates in August. Was going to post up a similar thread, interested to hear suggestions.

Are you going across to Amsterdam or down to France?
boylers11

15th Mar 16 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
Did it last year in a Volvo V70 which was great but at every point would have rather been in my TT. Unless there is a very strong reason why not to use your regular car just do that!

Partly cos it's more of a challenge, partly cos we drive our dailies every day etc. we all have second cars too, but don't want to take them either for reliability or risk reasons.
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Mar 16 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21

Are you going across to Amsterdam or down to France?

Think we'll be heading to Southern France. Nothing fully set in stone yet.

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

15th Mar 16 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have bought a 528i with this purpose in mind
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 16 at 01:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something big and comfortable.

I fully agree with Ian if you're driving, something like a TT can easily handle it but if you want a load of people in there then size has to matter.

My default answer is a Grand Espace 3 litre diesel auto but that might be over budget. Although you'll be able to sell on, might even turn a profit. A £400 car is just going to be a worry and give you hassle, you'd struggle to get a trustworthy Focus for that, never mind anything large or interesting.
Ian W

16th Mar 16 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our Volvo was perfect, 2.5 td auto with plenty of space for the 4 of us in it, the problem is the roads are amazing and tootling along in a diesel that struggles to get to 85mph, handles like an oil tanker and stops like a train was a bit of a twat when we all have fast capable cars at home

Ours was for charity though so the banger was part of the deal.

Great experience and I 100% want to do a Euro trip again, but it will be in something more fun for the long winding mountain roads
boylers11

16th Mar 16 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are 3 or 4 of us going and we'd each be buying a car, then will probably end up taking the girls too. We're not overly bothered about vehicle size. I was looking at old Volvos, BMs and maybe even Hondas.
Has anyone ever driven over from Amsterdam as opposed to France? It'd work out a lot shorter for us.
DaveyLC

16th Mar 16 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any 270 engine Merc, they go forever, they are cheap and of course super comfortable.

E270 Estate on a ML270 would be my choice.
pow
Premium Member

16th Mar 16 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a BM make sure it's a manual, the engines last forever but the boxes (especially on the e39s) like to shit themselves when the milage is prefixed with a 1 (100k +)
Ojc

16th Mar 16 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W

Agree 100%
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

16th Mar 16 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it 2 years running.

First year was 4 of us in a BMW M135 - did Eurotunnel to Calais, then Bruges for a night, Amsterdam for 2 nights, Nurburgring for 4 nights (where we hired Suzuki Swifts, which were great fun!) and then home with a night in Brussels to break up the journey back to Bristol.

Last year there were 3 of us, all in individual cars - BMW M135, my S2000 and a 3rd in an Audi RS6. Did Bruges for 1 night again, then 6 nights at the 'ring (taking in sme VLN racing too), followed by 4 nights at Spa Francorchamps for the World Endurance Championship (WEC). Absolutely loved the journey across in my S2000, roof down from Calais right across to the Nurburgring, and then a couple of laps of the Nordschleife and a session on the Nurburgring F1 circuit made it a perfect trip!
Kev_GSI

16th Mar 16 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do it every year a few times in my Daily cars

Astra mk3 gsi
Vectra C 1.9 cdti
Corsa D 1.3
Civic Type R Ep3

About to do it in my E91 325d in June to. I love it and cant get enough of it, hence my project ( astra estate ) ive added cruise etc to it for trips like this
nibnob21
Premium Member

16th May 16 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How're you getting on with this? With my £300 budget I picked up a mid nineties V6 Audi A4 for £210 today

MX5 Project Thread
pow
Premium Member

16th May 16 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Show us Robin

Love a sub 500 shed
Generation

17th May 16 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems strange to me. I kinda understand for you don't want to take your project car if there's a certain reason... But not taking a daily car you bought either, and now buying a third car. Wtf
3CorsaMeal

17th May 16 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Golf 7R, only £252 for a whole month
Generation

17th May 16 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be too new.
Would need a trip car, instead of the new car, and a daily instead of the new car, and a project car to post online
spencer88

17th May 16 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can highly recommend a fiat cinquecento 1.1.
4's up around Europe. Comfy and cheap.
3CorsaMeal

17th May 16 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would rather do it in a decent car with 2 up, who wants to drive around europe, 4 up in some tiny little underpowered sweatbox.

I'm probably wrong, its probably the cool thing to do these days, gets just as many facebook likes as touring italy in a Laferrari
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th May 16 at 16:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There’re 13 of us going, split into 4 teams - 3x3 and 1x4. So the budget for the four cars is split between several people, not just coming out of my pocket.

Car - £210
Month’s tax - ~£20
Week’s insurance - ~£100

Then minus any resale or scrap value of the car. Divided by three people that’s not very much.

We’re doing it Top Gear-esque with various challenges along the way. It’s not really a lot of money. You can easily spend considerably more on flights than we’ll be spending on the tunnel and fuel. Plus we’re staying in campsites, not hotels.

Quite ironic:
quote:
Originally posted by Generation
How dare somebody spend their money on what they want to.

MX5 Project Thread
Generation

17th May 16 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't say there was anything wrong with spending on what you want. Please re-read then feel
Free to find previous quotes
nibnob21
Premium Member

17th May 16 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Show us Robin

Love a sub 500 shed

Couple of images from the eBay ad (sorry for the size):

MX5 Project Thread

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cheap Euro road trip car ideas 23 database queries in 0.1076522 seconds