corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nothing like a free car...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nothing like a free car...
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Mar 16 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...just couldn't say no!

Husband of a girl I know wanted to get rid of his Clio. 2002, he's had it a while, been used as a work (he's a chippy) and dog car for the past few years, no real love in terms of clean but mechanically well looked after. So well that he shredded a cambelt when he changed it by putting a tensioner on the wrong way round he bought a whole 40k engine and fitted that along with a new cambelt/waterpump/clutch and anything else that needed changing at the time. I asked her how much she wanted out of interest and she just said buy us a drink for it and you can have it. So in exchange for a large glass of white wine and a pint of Stella I owned a 2002 Clio Expression Plus

It's covered 100k but had a 40k engine fitted 30k ago so the engine has acutally done 70. Has electric windows and AC. Dog hair and sawdust covered interior that looked like this but 100 times worse:

She told me the sunroof was leaking, it needed a new coilpack, needed a deep clean, the speedo display wasn't working properly and some TLC. Quite timely as the missus car is playing up and she doesn't a CS millionaire and I like a little tinker project to keep my mind off work as it's turn all a bit mental at the moment.

Drove it home and decided the interior needed to go. It was dirty, stank and full of dog hair. The headlining was stained from the leaking sunroof which was dripping onto the passenger side carpet and soaking it. First thing I did was rip the sunroof out and reseal it with £3.99 worth of Wickes roof and gutter seal:

Hopped onto ClioSport.net and bought an entire 182 interior (seats, doorcards, carpets and a cluster) for £60. Stripped the old seats (except the rear backrests, just can't get the bolt to budge ) and took them all down the tip. Bolted the 182 interior in today and it looks a treat:

Also swapped the clocks out, got some that had white and red LEDs instead of the Renauit orange, look quite sweet:

Steering column surround is off still as I have a £3 indicator stalk arriving as this doesn't want to self cancel going one way at the moment.

It's MOTd until December, needs another clean and an exhaust clamp tightening up but apart from that the missus can run around in it until she buys another car. The other thing is that it has a towbar which will be handy. God knows what I'll do with it then, shift it on to someone at work probably, but it owes me nearly nothing and it's kept me busy for a few weekends, I enjoy a tinker
Ben G

12th Mar 16 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't go wrong with a free motor! Be careful you don't end up spending a small.fortune on it though as that would defeat the purpose of it.
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 16 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently owes me less than £100 and I won't be going much further. If she gets 6 months out of it and I can borrow it to pull a trailer when I move then happy days.
antnee

12th Mar 16 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats awesome!

Although you should expect the CS brigade to be along soon to tell you an engine swapped car is worse than a Cat C right off
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 16 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really care, it's a spare car that runs and fills a gap, right up daveylcs Street this :-D
_Allan_

12th Mar 16 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could have. Fuck Renault.
tom130691
Premium Member

13th Mar 16 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me know when you do want to move it on, Spanner might actually get a licence at some point this year
taylorboosh

13th Mar 16 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love stuff like this
Kev_GSI

13th Mar 16 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

free car of win
Andrew

13th Mar 16 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Auto to manual?
Kev_GSI

13th Mar 16 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Auto to manual?
think hes pinched someone elses pics to show us something
Roffo

13th Mar 16 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

happy days
pow
Premium Member

14th Mar 16 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kev_GSI
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Auto to manual?
think hes pinched someone elses pics to show us something

I have indeed
IainL

14th Mar 16 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks a right win, new engine and all :-)
pow
Premium Member

14th Mar 16 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indicator switch has just landed on my desk, pop that in later
nathy_87

14th Mar 16 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky bugger Pow
pow
Premium Member

20th Mar 16 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New coilpack actually turned out to be a new injector lol. Stripped the inlet off today to clean the throttle body and the plug socket section of an injector came straight off in my hand!! Left it all stripped down, pulled the injector rail off, fished the broken one out and have order a replacement for the grand sum of £9. Something quite relaxing about tinkering with this car, learning stuff too and if I break it it's not the end of the world, seats out and anything else of worth off and to the scrap it goes. TB was also grotty as so cleaning that should help it out.

Waiting for my injector to arrive on Tuesday and I'll try again.

[Edited on 20-03-2016 by pow]
DaveyLC

21st Mar 16 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good job its not a Diesel, you'd be loosing sleep over how much those DCi injectors cost
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 16 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£10 rule Dave
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 16 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fixed it

Injector arrived today, luckily it was the same part number as the ones that came off, bit of a gamble buying the cheapest one on eBay! Popped it all back together, crossed my fingers and fired it up. Settled to a steady idle and took it for a drive all good. Had to clear all of the faults using my Bluetooth OBD adapter and Torque but it seems to be fine now

Can you tell what's wrong?

[Edited on 23-03-2016 by pow]
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 16 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you value your labour on the cheap fixes, what cost would this car actually be? 500-600 now?
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 16 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really care, I've enjoyed doing it, like I said if I break it it doesn't matter, if I break the Alfa or the BMW I'd be more upset.
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 16 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So yeah, it's cost you a lot of time and effort for a free car. Kinda puts a downer on something if you are always fixing it. Free car, no free time. Sounds like a bargain indeed.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 16 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of free time thanks. End of term tomorrow, I'll enjoy lots of free time over the next two weeks while everyone else is at work ballin'
noshua

23rd Mar 16 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kind of like all that extra money you're gonna pay out on that golf in interest Barnes, thru the finance

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nothing like a free car... 22 database queries in 0.0274229 seconds