corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » EU exit or stay?

Poll: EU exit or stay?
LEAVE 65 (63.11%)
STAY 38 (36.89%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EU exit or stay?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
17th Mar 16 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You must be doing worse than the north or elsewhere in the UK for that matter.

Take the population 10 years ago, what are we taking 45bn? We'd have 90bn people now if what you're saying had any weight.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Mar 16 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it is a direct relation to general population numbers. But clearly it's rising. I hate senationalism but fairly uncontrollably too due to eu dictated border regulation and migrant rights.

It's definitely better managed away from the eu imo

[Edited on 17-03-2016 by Steve]
DaveyLC

17th Mar 16 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Because they aren't in the eu and overrun by eastern Europeans

Renewed your Daily Mail subscription recently?
Jimbothebarbarian

17th Mar 16 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

It must genuinely be different in your neck of the woods. Because the amount around here is ridiculous. They've got their own shops and the like. Like I've mentioned I wonder if I work in a UK factory. Any agency staff we get in are all eastern European and there's areas now that are, how can I put it, less than welcoming to 'locals' now.

Not scare mongering, simple how it is nowadays.
Graeme
Premium Member

17th Mar 16 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you ever been to Norway, Iceland, Switzerland?

They are very very different from here and not because they are not in the EU.

The cost of living is crazy. Norway 2 years ago was £13 a pint. The wages are higher but not in comparison.

They also have a far stricter way of living. People respect each other and the laws. Not like so many benefit scummers, people disrespecting the police and thinking we are all equal.

Im worried that there are so many un educated people who just see the "asylum" crisis and think we need to be out. Granted I think we really need to limit the amount of people that come in to what would benefit the country as a whole.

Ian
Site Administrator

17th Mar 16 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The leave campaign almost has a double win because if you're educated and principled you'll vote to leave based on democracy. And if you're an ignorant bigot, you'll vote to leave because of some completely vexatious statistics.
DaveyLC

18th Mar 16 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
quote:
quote:

It must genuinely be different in your neck of the woods. Because the amount around here is ridiculous. They've got their own shops and the like. Like I've mentioned I wonder if I work in a UK factory. Any agency staff we get in are all eastern European and there's areas now that are, how can I put it, less than welcoming to 'locals' now.

Yeah there's no immigrants down here in the South East
Russ

18th Mar 16 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if Cameron wants us to stay, i'm leaving
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure how the other non eu countries being so different matters at all. The scaremongering is based around Europe suddenly not wanting to trade with us if we leave.

These countries are still trading well with Europe regardless of how much a pint is and even if you factor out comparing these countries altogether the fact is we would still be in the same trade agreement we are now.

Can anyone highlight how exactly trade will be affected negatively if we came out of the eu...

[Edited on 18-03-2016 by Steve]
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Mar 16 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
quote:
quote:

Yeah there's no immigrants down here in the South East

Yeah like I said that.
Ellis

18th Mar 16 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EU migrants; let's just ignore that they're net contributors to the UK economy then.

Our problems with benefits are within, our very own home grown scum leaching from the state.
DaveyLC

18th Mar 16 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
EU migrants; let's just ignore that they're net contributors to the UK economy then.

Our problems with benefits are within, our very own home grown scum leaching from the state.

This..
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not about the economy its the sheer weights of numbers of people in this country, the infrastructure is already falling over. Money cannot buy space on an island.
DaveyLC

18th Mar 16 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The issue with the UK is the Benefits system and the fact that the value of property has been allowed to escalate out of control.

Leaving the EU addresses neither of these points.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither does staying.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Mar 16 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its not about the economy its the sheer weights of numbers of people in this country, the infrastructure is already falling over. Money cannot buy space on an island.

Not an EU issue at all.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So extra numbers are not compounded by the ease at which EU foreign nationals are able to exploit EU border policy and gain access into the country (and stay here)?

I didn't say they were the sole cause of over population but the situation certainly isn't helped, and the tightening up of border control is a step in the right direction.

DaveyLC

18th Mar 16 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are about 6 million non British born people in the UK at the moment..
Ian W

18th Mar 16 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So extra numbers are not compounded by the ease at which EU foreign nationals are able to exploit EU border policy and gain access into the country (and stay here)?

I didn't say they were the sole cause of over population but the situation certainly isn't helped, and the tightening up of border control is a step in the right direction.

It does work both ways though, you can pack up and go and live another EU country if you fancied it.

Not everyone who comes in is a freeloader, some people just want to live and work here same as the rest of us.

[Edited on 18-03-2016 by Ian W]
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure why people keep on about people paying into the economy. That isn't the problem, it is simply the numbers.

As I said, it's not the only cause of over population, but it isn't helping, and is likely to get worse
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey, that's 6 million less people to find housing space for, road space for, hospital space for etc etc.

If you have plenty of room then numbers aren't a problem, when the country is full in towns and cities then even smaller number make a big difference
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Recent Population Growth

Since 2000 the population of the UK has increased at a faster rate than any time in the previous 90 years. Unlike previous episodes of growth, the major reason for this increase has been the high level of immigration.

The population growth of a country is affected by the birth rate, the death rate and net migration. The difference between the number of births and deaths is known as natural change. If net migration is positive then immigration is greater than emigration. Positive net migration adds to the population both directly from the migrant themselves and indirectly on natural change by increasing the number of births in the country. In 2014, 27% of all births in England and Wales were to foreign born mothers.

In 2001 the population of the UK was estimated to be 59.1 million with 4.9 million (8.3%) foreign born. By 2011 the population of the UK had increased by 4.1 million to 63.2 million with the foreign born population at 8 million (12.6%). In 2015, the population of the UK was estimated to be around 65 million.

It is estimated that net migration plus births to foreign-born parents has accounted for 85% of population growth since 2000
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Future population Growth

If net migration continues at current levels the UK will become ever more crowded. Projections of future population growth have to make assumptions about net migration, birth rates and mortality but, in the UK, net migration at recent levels is by far the largest driver of population growth. The total fertility rate (TFR) is often used to represent the ‘birth rate’ of a population. It is the average number of children that the average woman would have if the fertility patterns of any given year were to continue over her reproductive years. In the last forty years TFR has remained fairly stable, between 1.7 and 1.9. Today the TFR is around 1.83. A TFR of 2.1 is required to replace the population in the long run.

The UK population is ageing as the birth rate has fallen since the last century and as life expectancy increases. This means that the ratio of people of working age to people over retirement age is declining (assuming that the working age remains as taken to be 16-64). Some claim that, as a result, more working age migrants are needed to fund the cost of caring for people in their old age. While immigration can moderate population ageing in the short term, the effect is not strong and migration cannot offer a solution to population ageing since, obviously, migrants also grow old. They would need to be replaced by an ever increasing flow of immigrants to have any major effect on the age structure of the UK. The result would be a substantial and continuing increase of the population, potentially without end.

In mid 2015, the UK population was estimated at around 65 million and net migration had averaged 242,000 over the previous ten years (see here).

The Office for National Statistics produces projections at different levels of net migration. This allows for an estimate of the impact of future migration on population growth. If net migration were reduced to zero (that is, the number of people entering and leaving the country were the same) the population would rise gradually to 67.7million in twenty-five years before gradually declining from the middle of the century.

In contrast, under the principal projection from the ONS with net migration at 185K, the population is expected to increase by a total of 9.7 million over the next twenty-five years, passing the 70 million mark sometime in 2026 (see here).

If net migration continues at around recent levels, then the population is projected to rise by 2.5 million over the next five years and to reach 73 million in the next 15 years. This is the ONS ‘high’ migration scenario of 265K per year. This increase of 8 million people is the equivalent of adding the combined population of Greater Manchester and the cities of Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Bristol.
DaveyLC

18th Mar 16 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Davey, that's 6 million less people to find housing space for, road space for, hospital space for etc etc.

If you have plenty of room then numbers aren't a problem, when the country is full in towns and cities then even smaller number make a big difference

Most of those people will be tax paying citizens..
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 16 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely missing the point

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » EU exit or stay? 24 database queries in 0.1912940 seconds