corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official 2016 F1 Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Apr 16 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding myself cheering for Haas a lot this year so far! I think I'm bitter about the comments Williams especially Pat Symonds were making about the Haas approach to building a car.

Would love for Haas to keep up in the points and give the likes of Williams/RBR something to really think about.

I think F1 will really benefit if Mercedes and Ferrari (and perhaps eventually McLaren) adopt a torro rosso style sister team. It'll make the grid a lot more competitive and may even boost participation.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

4th Apr 16 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Finding myself cheering for Haas a lot this year so far! I think I'm bitter about the comments Williams especially Pat Symonds were making about the Haas approach to building a car.

Would love for Haas to keep up in the points and give the likes of Williams/RBR something to really think about.

I think F1 will really benefit if Mercedes and Ferrari (and perhaps eventually McLaren) adopt a torro rosso style sister team. It'll make the grid a lot more competitive and may even boost participation.

agree Kyle - the grid seem bitter about the fact they have access to the Ferrari parts but as a business plan it makes perfect sense

why spend millions and years building a car that is 5 seconds a lap slower than the fastest guys when you can build a partnership with a a top team to use parts but develop elements of the car yourself

I think it highlights how Williams have done great things, but without Manufacturers underpinnings struggle to get a world championship car - they also have the worst race strategists on the grid - they just throw away points making what appears to be the wrong decisions

RBR were the exception with their design team (not just AN) and how good the Renualt V8 was
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 16 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the RBR/Torro Rosso setup has worked really well. We've seen them battle off the scourge of the paydriver reasonably well and we've seen some good old fashioned driver progression.

TR are also not always the bitches of RBR, they seem feisty enough on track with their daddy team and they've been fairly pacey compared to RBR in the last couple of seasons.

When watching FP at the weekend Crofty and DiResta were talking about qualifying formats (as usual) and DiResta mentioned a fan suggestion which caught my ear a bit.

The suggestion was for two qualifying sessions, and in Q1 - only one car from each team could progress. That means that the final shootout would have a car from every team in it, and the best result a team could get (on a 22 car grid) is P1 and P11.

I think it's a brilliant suggestion, but unfortunately would be ruined by team orders after a couple of races.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

4th Apr 16 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to agree Kyle, upon first hearing that idea, I was sold. It's just when you start to digest it, you start to think how a team could manipulate it.

Best option for everyone IMO is to return to previous Q1-3 format. I don't remember anyone complaining about that ever.

It's admirable what Williams do as an independent but an underwhelming performance this weekend, almost uninteresting at times. I think overall I spent more energy pondering how many pints it would require before I would rattle Claire Williams with what looks like shiny new teeth.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Apr 16 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crap idea, why should a car that finishes 2nd out of a same team 1-2 in Q1 end up 11th on the grid

[Edited on 04-04-2016 by Steve]
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 16 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Crap idea, why should a car that finishes 2nd out of a same team 1-2 in Q1 end up 11th on the grid

Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer the 2015 Q1, Q2 and Q3 setup but they seem determined to force a format that "mixes up the grid" and I just view this as the least crap option that's been banded around.

I don't see (long term) how the elimination system would cause any real grid mixups, likewise I don't see how this aggregate idea would encourage a mixup either? We just have to deal with the same largely predictable grid AND the crap format... seems like all the downsides and no positives.

The Q1 "teammate shootout" would be guaranteed to mix up the grid and it would be an easy format to televise/follow as a fan.

Q1 would become one of the most important sessions of the weekend if not the most important, and Qualifying would become a much bigger part of a WDC campaign. The promoters have apparently been demanding this qualifying shakeup because not enough people are attending/buying tickets for a Saturday. Making Saturday a more pivotal part of the weekend may fix that.

Like I said originally though, team orders would ruin it. If a driver in a team got the first few "internal wins" in a row it's probably fair to say that the losing driver would be handicapped for the rest of the season. Also Kimi would get fucked as he's getting bummed in the qualifying battle

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

4th Apr 16 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they're already happy with artificial measures in F1 e.g. DRS, then what about success ballast like implemented in BTCC?
Dave

4th Apr 16 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mixing up the grid is pointless if you can't overtake though, you'll just end up with a fast car in midfield destroying his tyres trying to make up a few places while the leader clears off in clean air to take the win.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 16 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Mixing up the grid is pointless if you can't overtake though, you'll just end up with a fast car in midfield destroying his tyres trying to make up a few places while the leader clears off in clean air to take the win.

We know that doesn't happen though. Through non-false reasons we've had people out of position recently with no issues getting back up to the podium places.

A Merc starting at P11 would still be a podium contender at any track other than Monaco, and I'd still not bet against it at Monaco

The winner taking off into the distance kinda already happens too

[Edited on 04-04-2016 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
whitter45

4th Apr 16 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About to say - it's not a case of if merc would win if started down the grid it's just a case of how quickly they can get to the front

If merc qualify in the top 10 they will get a car onto of the podium - only Ferrari could challenge that
Christo55

5th Apr 16 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey all,

Really happy to see this post, I recently put a post up asking for F1 fans and someone kindly linked through to this!

What predictions do you lot have for this season? Do you think they are going to change the qualifying joke that is going on at the moment?

I also thought id share this circuits quiz i came across the other day. I only got 7/13 which i think is poor, my excuse is that a lot of the questions were before my time

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers,
Jambo

6th Apr 16 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise there was a thread, so hello chaps

Two things, LOL @ that magnussen banana pic

and also LOL @ Ben's phone

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Bottom should get a penalty for that. Proper banzai'd it into t1.
Ellis

6th Apr 16 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aggregate qualifying being talked about now
Jambo

6th Apr 16 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RE: Liveries Red Bull looks great (hate the rake tho!) Renault also looks bloody brilliant.

Ferrari I wasn't keen on initially as didn't like the white compared with the F15T but it is growing on me. Mclaren also looks pretty good.
Jambo

6th Apr 16 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

Yes. For. Fuck. Sake.

Poll on Sky suggests 82% of people would rather they just switch back to 2015 rules!
Ellis

6th Apr 16 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally I would think 82% is high however I worry what the other 18% think is an acceptable qualifying format.
Jambo

6th Apr 16 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How dull would that be, why is it even an option?!

Qualifying should be like it used to be, an hour of people driving round trying to go quickest and the quickest man starts on pole.

Not hard.
RichR
Premium Member

6th Apr 16 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about making the top 3 spots in qualifying worth points; 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. This would mix up qualifying as I'd imagine midfield teams would go all out for the potential points and could result in an otherwise displaced grid.
Ellis

7th Apr 16 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Potentially good idea that.

Also, what about altering the points to include down to say 15th place. Felt it was a bit unfair to see Wehrlein drive a fantastic race in the Manor to then be rewarded with fuck all. I feel that would bring about more competition at the middle-bottom of constructors championship.
tom130691
Premium Member

7th Apr 16 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

Yes. For. Fuck. Sake.

Poll on Sky suggests 82% of people would rather they just switch back to 2015 rules!

I quite like the idea of the aggregate format, gets more cars on the track pushing, cream will still go to the top.

only issues for me are it might need more tyres and difficult for fans at the track to work out
Kyle T
Premium Member

7th Apr 16 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
What about making the top 3 spots in qualifying worth points; 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. This would mix up qualifying as I'd imagine midfield teams would go all out for the potential points and could result in an otherwise displaced grid.

I think the points would need to extend beyond the top 3 for them to be relevant. It's not like midfielders don't qualify on the front two rows through lack of trying, they're almost exclusively reserved for the fastest two teams even if they just set banker laps

Aggregate sucks because it takes the shine off of that one banzai lap. I quite enjoy the format we've had for a while because of the traditional "banker" plus one banzai.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ellis

7th Apr 16 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

Yes. For. Fuck. Sake.

I quite like the idea of the aggregate format, gets more cars on the track pushing, cream will still go to the top.

only issues for me are it might need more tyres and difficult for fans at the track to work out

Each to their own but what was the problem with 2015 format. Fans/teams were happy with this, there was scope for adverts in between Q1, Q2 & Q3 to keep corporate people happy and at the end of it, you had the fastest man/car on pole. Happy days.

Albeit a slightly different format proposed this time as I understand, aggregate qualifying was a complete flop 10 years ago.
Ellis

7th Apr 16 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Common sense has at last prevailed.

2015 quali format to return from China onwards.
Jambo

7th Apr 16 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boom
Ben G

7th Apr 16 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What an absolute farce basically, Todt and Ecclestone appear to have been backed into a corner and forced to change it back, as they were both certain it wasn't going back to 2015 quali style just a week ago.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread 24 database queries in 0.1071870 seconds