corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Maintaining weight.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Maintaining weight.
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
7th Jan 16 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
I'm in my twenties I don't have homework
BarnshaW

8th Jan 16 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why don't you buy into it? what possible good can it be to eat crap/high carb food when you are going to be inactive for several hours and at the lowest point of your metabolism?, far better to eat it in the morning or earlier in the day. Works well cutting out crap/high carb foods in the evening, try it.
Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eat when you're hungry imho. Your own body knows better than the Internet.
boylers11

8th Jan 16 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of the research says you 'should' eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and tea like a pauper.

I don't do this myself, but I'm not wanting to alter my weight.

Long and short of it is; if you eat more calories than you burn, you put on weight. If you want to continue with a high calorie intake, you need to do shed loads of exercise to counteract it.

It always surprises me when you type in the number of calories in a 'bad' food e.g. Mars Bar and the suggested jogging/walking time to burn those calories off.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't work like that BarnshaW.

You lose weight when in a calorie deficit and gain in a surplus over a period of time, regardless of the time in the day you eat.

The calories consumed at night don't count as more calories, so as long as your still in a deficit (say you track over a 24 hour period) then you will still lose weight and if you're still in a surplus you'll still gain.

An example would be, I've eaten 1000 calories so far and it's 9pm I need to eat 2000 to maintain my weight. So I eat my remaining 1000 caloires to hit maintenance then go to bed. Will that cause weight gain? - no, because I'm still eating at maintenance level.

[Edited on 08-01-2016 by Jason x]
Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm eating about 1800 currently. Doing mild exercise every day to work and back on cycle and then gym 3x a week. I eat when I am hungry, maybe 9pm or later some evenings. Lost 3lbs this week. Working ok for me thanks for asking guys.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1800 calories must feel like poverty,

4,450 currently haven't gained weight in 3 weeks so will be going up slightly, eat dinner at 11pm after work

Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really. feels fine.
BarnshaW

8th Jan 16 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont buy it for one second Jason, going by your own argument, if you require 3000 calories a day to maintain weight, and you eat 500 during the day and then eat 2500 just before bed (lets say you eat a load of crisps and crap) do you honestly believe that your body is going to burn it off whilst you are asleep in that time, to be honest, no one is ever going to agree on it as everyone is different and different studies all contradict each other.

No harm in trying it and seeing how it works
Ellis

8th Jan 16 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with that to a certain extent. Your body doesn't reset at midnight to new day and you can consume all those calories again immediately. You would have to average your intake over any given 24 hour period, not necessarily midnight to midnight.

My intake is similar to Nic, about 1800-2000 per day and with regular exercise it keeps me at a steady 76-78kg.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your view of burning it off is too simplistic, if you've only consumed 500 calories throughout the whole day then you will have expended more than you've consumed up to that point.

So if you then eat the remaining calories at the end of the day, over that 24 hour period you will be back at maintenance calories.
Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My thinking is similar to what Jason is saying.

If you use an average of 2000 calories a day, why does it matter when you eat them? Science me the answer please?
Neo

8th Jan 16 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Science me the answer please?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/

Basically 400 odd fatties ate the same food, slept and exercised the same, some ate before 3pm and some ate after. Those who ate before 3pm lost more weight than those that ate after.
Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone has different metabolisms, is basically all that report is good at saying. Which everybody knows anyway.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Science me the answer please?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/

Basically 400 odd fatties ate the same food, slept and exercised the same.

"Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups "

So as far as I can see without reading 115 pages no one actually tracked the participants intake at all.

And there are a number of different lifestyle factors associated with eating late that could cause weight gain.

Marc

8th Jan 16 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong in this and I'm sure you are all trained nutritionilts, but isn't there a risk that if you eat 500 calories and then 1500 calories at the end of the day the body might start storing more fat to keep you going whilst it is waiting for the remaining 1500 calories?

Provided you regularly eat most of your calories at the end of the day.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What? If you don't eat enough, you'd start to burn through energy sources not store them eating at the end of the day would them make up for it or you'd end up losing massive amounts of weight.
Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like African people
Marc

8th Jan 16 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What? If you don't eat enough, you'd start to burn through energy sources not store them eating at the end of the day would them make up for it or you'd end up losing massive amounts of weight.

Quoted a doctor -

Because your body can only handle so much energy in one sitting (just like you can’t overfill your gas tank for 1,000 mile trip) hardly eating anything all day and then eating most of your calories in one sitting can cause problems:

Your blood sugar levels fluctuate instead of holding steady, which can result in a loss of lean body mass. In other words, it’s not fat that’s being lost but potentially muscle. And we don’t want to lose muscle. Lowering your lean body mass means your body burns less calories. Not good.
Eating when your blood sugar is low (because you’ve hardly eaten anything all day) causes you to release more insulin—which means more fat is produced.
You then get into a vicious cycle of your body losing lean body mass, producing more fat, and burning less calories.
taylorboosh

8th Jan 16 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Like African people

What time do they eat?
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:

Quoted a doctor -

Because your body can only handle so much energy in one sitting (just like you can’t overfill your gas tank for 1,000 mile trip) hardly eating anything all day and then eating most of your calories in one sitting can cause problems:

Your blood sugar levels fluctuate instead of holding steady, which can result in a loss of lean body mass. In other words, it’s not fat that’s being lost but potentially muscle. And we don’t want to lose muscle. Lowering your lean body mass means your body burns less calories. Not good.
Eating when your blood sugar is low (because you’ve hardly eaten anything all day) causes you to release more insulin—which means more fat is produced.
You then get into a vicious cycle of your body losing lean body mass, producing more fat, and burning less calories.

Dr Oz no doubt.

You lose and you gain bodyfat every day irrespective of whether you are in a calorie surplus or deficit.

During the day you'll have times where your body fat stores get bigger and other times during the day where they get smaller, but net turnover determines whether you lost or gained fat for that day.

Therfore you shouldn't be worrying about insulin.

Nic Barnes

8th Jan 16 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a cheese sandwich as I was hungry.
Jason x
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edited post so it makes more sense, and I also just ate Ric
oJNAo
Premium Member

9th Jan 16 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me Jason what are your stats?

I tried upping my intake to 4000 and it's hard work even with mass gainers etc. Only way I could consume that much is through Royal Marines training, mate of mine said to me that the 5000 calories they provide is not enough for him and he scrans takeaways/dominos/general rubbish like nothing lol
Jason x
Premium Member

10th Jan 16 at 02:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 5'10, 200ibs,

I'm used to eating that amount now so i don't have that much trouble getting it in, never want to over and above it though

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Maintaining weight. 22 database queries in 0.0131760 seconds