corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Maintaining weight.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Maintaining weight.
Jimbothebarbarian

User status: Offline
6th Jan 16 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm crap at explaining stuff so here goes....

If you routinely consume to many calories, for arguments sake we'll say 3,000 a day. Your weight is obviously going to be high, lets say 15stone.

Now if you reduced your intake to 2,000 a day, very roughly the recommended for your ideal weight of 10stone. Would you drop over time to 10stone or would you maintain your excess weight?

Or do you have to reduce your calorie intake to less than the amount to maintain your ideal weight until you hit it, then increase it to the 2,000 calories when you're the correct weight?

[Edited on 06-01-2016 by Jimbothebarbarian]
Jason x
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 02:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
I'm crap at explaining stuff so here goes....

If you routinely consume to many calories, for arguments sake we'll say 3,000 a day. Your weight is obviously going to be high, lets say 15stone.

Now if you reduced your intake to 2,000 a day, very roughly the recommended for your ideal weight of 10stone. Would you drop over time to 10stone or would you maintain your excess weight?

Or do you have to reduce your calorie intake to less than the amount to maintain your ideal weight until you hit it, then increase it to the 2,000 calories when you're the correct weight?

[Edited on 06-01-2016 by Jimbothebarbarian]

If you're 15 stone you will more than likely need to eat more calories to maintain your weight than someone who's 10 stone would, so dropping your calories to below a point that you'd need to maintain 10 stone is not necessary.. you need to drop it to a point to below what you need to maintain 15 stone.

Easiest way to find the point of maintaining your current weight is to eat how you currently are and just track it, don't try changing anything just eat like normal for a few weeks just putting in what you eat and monitor your weight using the same conditons ie first thing in the morning after you wake up. Write the weight down each day and calculate the average at the end of the week for say 3 weeks.

Once you have found a point of where you are pretty much maintaining your current weight you can then drop the calories below that to start losing, advantage being you'll still be eating a heck of a lot more while losing weight at a steady pace depending on how much you drop the calories.. Also helps when you start to stall/stop losing weight as you can make adjustments without starving yourself.

May seem like a bit of a faf but it will also help you when you come to a point of where you want to maintain weight again (say when you reach target weight) as you will know how Many calories to add back to stop losing the weight without adding too much that you start to gain it back.

Edit- weigh yourself in pounds and track using myfitnesspal

[Edited on 06-01-2016 by Jason x]
oJNAo
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 02:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to have a calorie deficit to lose weight as you would need to be burning more calories in a day than calories you consume.

Using this calculator will give you a rough estimate of how many calories you need to maintain your weight without the calories you expend from exercise.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
Jason x
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 03:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Calculating BMR alone is not that useful unless you are in a coma but you can use the figure to find your TDEE (a more true maintaince level)

Have a look at this OP
http://thegetinshapeworkoutplan.com/how-to-determine-how-many-calories-a-day-you-need

Use the figure from the BMR calculator and use the activity formula in the above link to times bmr by what you feel your activity level is to find a more true Maintaince estimate, estimate being the key word as no calculator is going to give you the exact number you need.. You need to find this out yourself but it's good starting point.
Jason x
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 03:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with BMR calculators like the one on bodybuilding.com is that they don't take lean body mass into account
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 03:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically what they have said. You need to eat less than what you use! It's not all about calories though. You need to eat clean.
oJNAo
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 04:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would advise eating clean but I don't
oJNAo
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 04:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
Calculating BMR alone is not that useful unless you are in a coma but you can use the figure to find your TDEE (a more true maintaince level)

Have a look at this OP
http://thegetinshapeworkoutplan.com/how-to-determine-how-many-calories-a-day-you-need

Use the figure from the BMR calculator and use the activity formula in the above link to times bmr by what you feel your activity level is to find a more true Maintaince estimate, estimate being the key word as no calculator is going to give you the exact number you need.. You need to find this out yourself but it's good starting point.

I was gonna calculate my TDEE but then I saw you couldn't just put numbers into boxes and press equals and gave up
Jimbothebarbarian

6th Jan 16 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow! Some pretty in depth and useful info there!

Basically I've been getting tremendously fat since I packed in the fags ten years ago. I do far more exercise now than I ever did back then. The only thing I have noticed is my alcohol intake is shocking.

So in a moment of bordom I thought I'd google how many calories in a tin of Stella. I nearly fell over when i read 189 calories per 440ml tin! Couple to that the drinking nibbles like peanuts, crisps or the odd pizza......well you get the idea! So basically I'm necking/nibbling an extra 1,000 calories a night minimum. Whooops...

So hence my question if i simply do nothing other than knock the ridiculous amount of drink on the head will i settle down to a lower weight..
Ellis

6th Jan 16 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's so easy to take in that extra sugar and calories with a couple of tins each night. See if you can limit the drinking until the weekend. You may see results doing that alone if you're already doing plenty exercise.
Jason x
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian

So hence my question if i simply do nothing other than knock the ridiculous amount of drink on the head will i settle down to a lower weight..

If cutting back the calories from the drinking puts you into a calorie deficit, then yes.

Jason x
Premium Member

6th Jan 16 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
You need to eat clean.

Really
BarnshaW

6th Jan 16 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem is also eating it at night, all that fat and calories right before bed is doing no favours
taylorboosh

6th Jan 16 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im fat too
Jimbothebarbarian

6th Jan 16 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Im fat too

I was quite flabergasted to learn that being fat is actually unfashionable and often frowned upon!
Nic Barnes

6th Jan 16 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being unfashionable is the new fashionable.
Generation

7th Jan 16 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
problem is also eating it at night, all that fat and calories right before bed is doing no favours

I don't buy into this at all.
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 16 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No me either. I've never worried about eating late on, never been a bother.
oJNAo
Premium Member

7th Jan 16 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always eat big at night as I can't eat much in the mornings. If anything protein-rich foods before sleep helps maintain weight (muscle) through protein synthesis.
Jason x
Premium Member

7th Jan 16 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I eat late as well usually after a few lines
Ellis

7th Jan 16 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After a few lines
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 16 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His mum makes him write them if he hasn't done his homework imho
Jason x
Premium Member

7th Jan 16 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in my twenties I don't have homework
Ellis

7th Jan 16 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a bit of cocaine before bed
Jason x
Premium Member

7th Jan 16 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a taste of it for the weekend

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Maintaining weight. 22 database queries in 0.0930650 seconds