corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It has happened..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It has happened..
Dom

User status: Offline
16th Nov 15 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Ian said on here himself - "the way things are going, we'll be shutting down BEGINNING of next year.

When did Ian mentioned that?
Generation

16th Nov 15 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of weeks back, was in a random thread can't remember which one. Do a search
Dom

16th Nov 15 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Do a search...

Already did prior to replying; i guess what you quoted was incorrect as the search returns nadda on any of those terms/keywords.

Either way, i'm surprised Ian said that as i wouldn't have thought running costs of the forum to be that much. Although arguably there's other costs for running it as a club and i guess a lot of it now is funded out of his own pockets.
Generation

16th Nov 15 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless original thread got trashed? No idea TBH. Clearly been mentioned as two different people have said about it closing now
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Nov 15 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I always wondered why there was a 15 day thing anyway...

Why the need to hide them away, new ones go to top anyway

Because in the olden days, anything more was too large a set of results to worry about processing it in memory while there were that many people online. Shame eh.
Jason x
Premium Member

16th Nov 15 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't see that post but from what I've heard about it being March sort of ties in with that as Its still within the first 1/4 of the year.

No exact dates have been give yet though so just need to wait and see, doesn't look like we'll be moved over to another site though
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Nov 15 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Either way, i'm surprised Ian said that as i wouldn't have thought running costs of the forum to be that much. Although arguably there's other costs for running it as a club and i guess a lot of it now is funded out of his own pockets.

Server costs still a 1U rack space with a fair bit of redundancy so its not pennies but its certainly not a worry that the budget will cover the demands.

Club stuff still costs a bit but everyone loves a day out eh.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Nov 15 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
I didn't see that post but from what I've heard about it being March sort of ties in with that as Its still within the first 1/4 of the year.

No exact dates have been give yet though so just need to wait and see, doesn't look like we'll be moved over to another site though

What is this CS is closing poppycock you seem to quote wind-up I'm afraid.

On the contrary, I intend to sit in waiting and see what comes up. Don't forget my opinions on how utterly wank Facebook is for any type of car conversations. I'm sure I've ranted on here about it but suffice to say, the software isn't very good and I'm not sure it ever will be. Obviously that will piss on my chips if it becomes so but I'm not sure that's where Facebook want to go. Certainly the business model (same shit questions every day) is nowhere near what you'd need to cover the costs of something massive.

You need a few revenue streams, namely membership and some subtle commission-based affiliations, add that to traffic and boom you're in business. While they could probably sort out the latter, I'm not convinced they'd ever try the former. To be honest I'm not convinced the car-specific groups have much of a business model, most of the money by the sounds of it comes from fooling businesses in to thinking that Boosting posts is going to gain them exposure but most people who use it don't have many good things to say about it.

Also don't overlook the fact that I'm far too busy to change anything, hence why its been the same for years and years and I've no real plans to address that. Obviously the next big thing is mobile so we'll see what that brings. But yeah, no grand close-down. Speaking selfishly going to shows as a punter is shit and I need an excuse to have a big tent and a tea machine so CS and WR fit that bill perfectly. So whoever sticks by it retains the benefits too.

No plans to change, but well done to the rumour-mill.
oJNAo
Premium Member

17th Nov 15 at 00:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In regards to club events I wouldn't mind coughing up a bit extra alongside entry tickets to help towards a tent and tea
deano87

17th Nov 15 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic Barnes

17th Nov 15 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news it's not closing.
Ellis

17th Nov 15 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I never trust a man who eats 54 bags of oven baked sour cream & onion crisps a week.
Dom

17th Nov 15 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Server costs still a 1U rack space with a fair bit of redundancy so its not pennies but its certainly not a worry that the budget will cover the demands.

I'm surprised the site(s) is still running on a dedicated/colo'd box; i would have thought you would have moved it over (granted, it takes time etc) to a VPS or one of the 'cloud' infrastructures which would no doubt be vastly cheaper Unless you've managed to bag mates-rates in which case fair enough
ed

17th Nov 15 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could get it hosted for free on AWS (for a year), then it's cheap as anything when they start charging. Then there's no worries about backups of data (if you use RDS) or source (because you have to use Git).

Granted it does take a day or two's messing about to get it working nicely.
Jason x
Premium Member

17th Nov 15 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cannot stomach them anymore, usually only around 12 plain oven baked now
Ellis

17th Nov 15 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Nic Barnes

17th Nov 15 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This Jason X is definitely the new Steve.
taylorboosh

18th Nov 15 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Told you he was billy bullshit

Im also in agreement forums will comeback
Nic Barnes

18th Nov 15 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nobody is agreeing that john.
taylorboosh

18th Nov 15 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian is
Jambo

18th Nov 15 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
quote:

Dom

18th Nov 15 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

He's well past yours and Steve's level of trolling; it's as if you and Steve did a 'Junior' and Jason is the result
Steve
Premium Member

18th Nov 15 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u wot m8
Generation

18th Nov 15 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't troll, just got tired of people ignoring him IMO, and now tries his hardest to be weird.
Easy to see its all fake thoigh, just gets attention. Used to be normal 6 months ago, then turned "weird"
Nic Barnes

18th Nov 15 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

He's well past yours and Steve's level of trolling; it's as if you and Steve did a 'Junior' and Jason is the result
steve gave birth to himself pal. And also Steve gave birth to another one of himself. I don't think Jason X is involved in Steves self birthing plans.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It has happened.. 22 database queries in 0.1915572 seconds