corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » E.ON Free Meter Upgrade

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E.ON Free Meter Upgrade
deano87

User status: Offline
19th Aug 15 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we switched to E.ON some time ago. It was a hasty move to get a cheaper deal than SSE as we were on the basic "move in, get a non fixed tariff" tariff. Price comparison sites showed we could get best savings with E.ON although we only had about 6 months to compare.

Anyway, fairly happy we did switch to a bigger company. We have old-ish meters in our house and received an email to say they're upgrading all meters to Smart Meters FREE OF CHARGE.

All booked in for 9th September.

Thought that was pretty decent of them...assuming I haven't signed up to another 12 months with them
RichR
Premium Member

19th Aug 15 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

British Gas phoned me yesterday to ask me to do the same; seems too much like there's a hidden agenda to me. I want my whole meter moving from the kitchen to an outside locker but they want ridiculous money to do it - might try to blag a free move with a meter upgrade but I'm just hesitant that the free smart meter has some ulterior motive.
Dee25790

19th Aug 15 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
British Gas phoned me yesterday to ask me to do the same; seems too much like there's a hidden agenda to me. I want my whole meter moving from the kitchen to an outside locker but they want ridiculous money to do it - might try to blag a free move with a meter upgrade but I'm just hesitant that the free smart meter has some ulterior motive.

Gives them a more accurate reading, so no estimated billing and they don't have to rely on you or a meter man giving you meter readings. Obviously that saves them paying the meter mans wages.

It's only really beneficial to them but they sell it to you as you being able to keep an eye on your usage.

Edit: out of interest how far away do you want the meter moving? DNOs are fussy fuckers

[Edited on 19-08-2015 by Dee25790]
deano87

20th Aug 15 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did read that the E.ON "might not be compatible with another provider", I guess to try and stop you switching.

Did say in their FAQs your contract/tariff won't change.
Rob_Quads

20th Aug 15 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The big problem with the smart meters is that they are not standardised yet.

There was a huge push by the government to install them on talk that they would save the consumer loads of money. Now real numbers and studies have been done they are showing that they often don't make any difference so not worth putting them in at a cost to the householder.

British Gas are going out on their own and deploying their own meters which are not compatible with other systems meaning if you ever want to switch to another smart meter its a meter change - its a bit of a joke really.
Thankfully now they are now usable in dumb mode which from what I understand they weren't at first.
corsa-torque

20th Aug 15 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being a Smart engineer for Britishgas I can tell you that the smart meters have always been usable in "dumb" mode and also the compability to other systems has also been addressed.
Yes they have been slagged off as not saving the customer money, but they do help make the customer more aware of their usage via an in home display so savings can be made if required, most people carry on as they are and see the display as a Fad.
Dee25790

20th Aug 15 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We were amazed by what we used shown on the in home display, watched our usage etc the first week or so.. Haven't looked at it since
Rob_Quads

20th Aug 15 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-torque
Yes they have been slagged off as not saving the customer money, but they do help make the customer more aware of their usage via an in home display so savings can be made if required, most people carry on as they are and see the display as a Fad.

You've just confirmed that they are a gimmick for most and will costing the end consumer a few hundred quid.
corsa-torque

21st Aug 15 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would they cost the consumer a few hundred quid?
Rob_Quads

21st Aug 15 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because thats how much it costs to install them.
British Gas are not paying for them out of their profits meaning its prices will be higher to recoup the cost of installing them
corsa-torque

21st Aug 15 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And where are you getting these so called installation Costs?
Rob_Quads

21st Aug 15 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the reports and studies (such as the IoD) I have read about the subject they have talked about the meters costing approx. £200-£300 to install. I can easily see it costing this much for a brand new meter and someone to fit it.
ed

25th Aug 15 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd quite like one as I have electric heating you can view your consumption with a separate usage meter though.
Rob_Quads

25th Aug 15 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I have one of the external consumption units so I can see what I am using. Was helpful in justifying a new home server as I found it was going to pay for it self within a year. I am much more aware of leaving things on over night but it makes no difference to SWMBO
Ben G

25th Aug 15 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The word smart is ridiculous thrown around these days smart phone, smart meter, Jesus Christ, where will it end?

All it does is make stupid people seem intelligent by giving them products with cool words attached to them.
Dave

25th Aug 15 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You getting one then Ben?
Ben G

25th Aug 15 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no need for one. I'm always in credit on my electric bill.
deano87

29th Aug 15 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hero.
Russ

31st Aug 15 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
reduce your payments then..
ed

1st Sep 15 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just thinking that - it's hardly a thing to be bragging about.
Rob_Quads

1st Sep 15 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bizzarly I get more interest on credit on my gas/electric than my current account (OVO give 3%)

[Edited on 01-09-2015 by Rob_Quads]
Ben G

1st Sep 15 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
reduce your payments then..

No.need. I'd much rather have a cheque every year for a few hundred quid, than have to keep changing my payments depending on how much electric I use. They already reduced my payments for me last year and i'm still in credit

90% of the house has led lighting. Seeing quite large savings due to this.
whitter45

2nd Sep 15 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dee25790
quote:
Originally posted by RichR

Gives them a more accurate reading, so no estimated billing and they don't have to rely on you or a meter man giving you meter readings. Obviously that saves them paying the meter mans wages.

It's only really beneficial to them but they sell it to you as you being able to keep an eye on your usage.

Edit: out of interest how far away do you want the meter moving? DNOs are fussy fuckers

[Edited on 19-08-2015 by Dee25790]

exactly this - no estimated billing, in theory better cash flow as they invoice for exact usage

By law they only need to physically read a meter once a year so it means they have actual meter reads to bill on without the need of having an army of men walking the street

Been industry standard fro COP5 and COP3 metering with demand over 100kW and 1000kW

Having worked in this industry for many years its amazing how suppliers construct tariffs and flakey the industry is around actual reads and billing
whitter45

2nd Sep 15 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the actual meters cost peanuts - we manufacturer MID approved meters

Teh cost is labour to install - but the supplier will offset this with the benefits

It will become industry standard anyway so they are beating the wave and if it adds awaresness to the consumer then it brings green points to the supplier as they are heavily taxed on EUTS as we have our carbon targets to meet by 2020 or the governement will receive huge fines from the EU
Neo

2nd Sep 15 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
By law they only need to physically read a meter once a year so it means they have actual meter reads to bill on without the need of having an army of men walking the street

That's interesting, in the 6 years I've lived here we've not once had our meter read. I give readings every few months though.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll