corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW 530d m-sport lci Matt grey Arab wagon

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW 530d m-sport lci Matt grey Arab wagon
--ToM--

User status: Offline
14th Feb 15 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So as I'm sure your all aware by now iv sold the cav the bmw and the vectra estate as Im sick of running 3 cars and only really using one!

I wanted one car that will fit the bill as s family car but he fun for when I don't have the Mrs and the baby with me, although there's s lot to chose from out there iv always wanted a vxr vectra I think there really cool so it had to be one!

I wanted a red one for the main reason of liking red cars and also I don't think Arden suits the vectra as well as it does the Astra and corsa and black and silver look too much like diesel models imo although there are some nice ones out there! Plus they only made around 70 red ones which makes it quiet rare too!

I wanted a nice one so found a low mileage 48k with fsh 2 previous owners in Norwich originally sold to its first owner in Norwich also so was s local car! Looked spot on so was worth the journey for it! Hadn't driven one until I went to buy it and was actually surprised its a lot better than I expected it to be!

I have some plans nothing major for now, apart from doing the dreaded timing chains for piece of mind!

Here's the piks from the sale advert!

[Edited on 02-11-2015 by --ToM--]

[Edited on 05-11-2015 by --ToM--]

[Edited on 14-12-2015 by --ToM--]
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I had considered Red as well as the 2 Silver shades. Grown on me a lot.

--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First job last week was new pads front and rear, couldn't compain about that as the previous owner gave me 4 brand new tyres with the car he had them put on 3 days before he sold it the crazy chap!

Looking dirty!

Rear pads were a bit low on the inner pads!!

Front weren't as bad but did them anyway

--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing chains are s big problem with these cars and expensive as well Vauxhall quote £2000 for parts and £2000 for labour to do the job! So your snookered really in this country! I spent some time this week doing some internet searching and managed to source the parts from a GM dealer in the states! £500 later I have all 3 chains, guides, tensioners, gears, seals, oil pump the lot on its way! I'm going to do it myself so no doubt the car will be a non runner for sale on eBay soon

Anyway my other bits iv ordered arrived through the week so I gave it a wash today and fitted them!

Post wash piks!

Fitted my flat wipers

And then my pressed plates and surrounds

Before

After

Had to put a bend in the front one to follow the bumper contour

--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next up was wind deflectors

--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then I debadged the boot large griffin badge and the "vectra" off the chrome strip

Before

After

Car occasionally goes into limp mode but brings on no light managed to get p0234 code from it so replaced the boost pressure sensor today as well

Ian W

14th Feb 15 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a lot cooler than I thought they did, front end looks awesome and the spoiler is spot on
Mark.W

14th Feb 15 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These look great with the griffin removed from the boot.
Jason x
Premium Member

14th Feb 15 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree, has made a massive difference.
--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks lads! Also had the main cat and middle box took out on Thursday I'll get a video up of how it sounds when I get a chance, going to get the pre cat out soon too
Ben G

14th Feb 15 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great, Tom.

Why is the roof aerial base so chunky?
--ToM--

14th Feb 15 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate!

It's to do with the sat nav mate that's all I know couldn't tell you why it needs to be so chunky though lol
taylorboosh

14th Feb 15 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like a less cool version of my gsi
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha it's more cooler did you paint or wrap the boot strip
taylorboosh

15th Feb 15 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Painted
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to do mine black or red haven't decided yet,

Plans next are to get it in the garage at home and get the timing chains done once the parts arrive!

Then I'm going to fit a digi dash, a lot more accurate imo
taylorboosh

15th Feb 15 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol surely the chains cant be that bad
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There not making any noise or signs of being stretched but I'm doing them anyway because iv no record of them being done previously so if there on originals there's a 99% chance there gonna go
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 15 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are the chains a big problem? Normally you don't need to replace the chains, they may get a little noisy but they don't fail completely very often. It's the tensioners normally that cause failures with chains. Are they hydraulic tensioners on these?

On the mini chain tensioners were easy to replace without removing the chains

[Edited on 15-02-2015 by Steve]
ShEp

15th Feb 15 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chains are annoying, Be interesting to see the original chain to see the set-up, but Audi had bother with the 3.2 chains, and after some research it was found the chains were tested for strength durability and passed okay.

Then the manufacturer of the chain stamped their name on each link on the chain, therefor weakening it and they ended up having problems with them snapping

Just wonder if its the same idea with these.

[Edited on 15-02-2015 by ShEp]
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically between 06 and 2010 GM had a dodgy batch of chains used on these engines, the quality of the metal on the chains was not correct and they stretch with heat over time, insignia vxrs with 4k on the clock on 10 plates have had total failure vectra vxrs with fsh and low miles have been suffering problem in this country is that vauchal don't wanna know and even if the cars under warranty they will argue the toss, it's a massive problem in the states as this engine is widely used over there by Cadillac and Chevrolet but the yanks just replace it if it shows a symptom!

They don't snap or go really rattly just stretch to the point where the timing moves slightly and brings on cam and crank shaft codes and runs in limp mode, worst case they can jump and then it's contact and engine failure.

Mines shows no symptoms but with there being s possibility I'm going to do them for piece of mind the upgrades will last the life of the engine, sourced them direct from the states at s fraction of the price Vauxhall want! Also added extra bits to the list to do at the same time again for piece of mind, oil pump etc.

Tensioners are oil fed yeah, 3 chains, 3 tensions, a load of guides too replacing the lot
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's down to the grade of the metal their mate of, there no a conventional type of chain either which makes them expensive , they don't look like a bike chain type like most,
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's also to do with the engine originally being developed by GM as a non turbo but was then turbod by Saab who fitted their own chains to their engines but kept the GM ones on GM chains so there's slso rumours that there just not upto the job power wise, a Saab 2.8t chain failure or even replacement has never been heard of
Jambo

15th Feb 15 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not keen on the stick on tat, lovely car though.

Can you use Saab chains? What SAAB car was the engine IN?
--ToM--

15th Feb 15 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Saab chains don't fit allthogh primearily the same engine the chains and gears set up is different, they used it in the Saab 9-3 aeros not many of them same as the vectra most 9-3 aeros are 2.0 turbo

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW 530d m-sport lci Matt grey Arab wagon 23 database queries in 0.0184278 seconds