corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just bought some 17s

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought some 17s
AshMan2

User status: Offline
13th May 03 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought some 17s for my Corsa C. 2nd hand but in good condition.

Guy I got em off only had the wheels, no nuts or owt, plus I had to get some spacers for the front.

Been to two places now, Halfords and a local garage and I can get any alloy nuts or none for that matter to go on. Ive currently got the old ones from my 13 inch steel rims.

Just wondered how dangerous this might be and where people think I should go to get some more.
K100RSA

13th May 03 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the need for spacers is worrying!!

the best place for longer bolts is ripspeed or demon tweeks

AshMan2

13th May 03 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is the need for spacers worrying? I was adviced to get them as they rub on the brakes or sumthing without them. Its my first set of alloys so I didnt know much before I got them, but I havent paid the guy for them as he says I can give them back if I have any probs.

They are Khans, with a 45 offset. The steel ones I had on were ET 43.

A couple of things I hope someone can help me with:

When i brake the wheels seem to pull slightly sometimes to either side, not much but its noticeable.

When I went down the moterway, reaching around 70, the steering felt alot "loser" than it did with my original wheels. There was also vibrations in the steering. Could this be wheeler balancing or something else. It just didnt seem safe to take it above 70.

Going to have another look for some longer nuts tomorrow. How much would I pay for alloys ones with locks?

Cheers. Hope I dont sound thick but like I said, its my first lot of wheels and dont know much about everything!
Adam_B

13th May 03 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, u need to get them balanced. Cant see why u would need a spacer, is the Corsa C not also et 49 ?
AshMan2

13th May 03 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The standard 13's I took off said ET43 on them, and they aint been touched since I bought the car new.
Wheels ive bought are ET 45.
Red_SXi

13th May 03 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems strange that these wheels are rubbing the brakes TBH, i can understand on the 1.8sri that has bigger brakes, which needs ET40, but i can't see why your car needs this, the standard Sxi wheels are ET49, and the 16" Sri ones that i have are ET40. I can only reccomend if they are rubbing to get spacers to push them away from the brakes, make sure you also get the same size or spacer all round, or if you have to get 2 bigger than the other 2, put the bigger ones at the rear.

[Edited on 13-05-2003 by Red_Sxi]
AshMan2

13th May 03 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already got the sapcers on the front, so it doesnt rub. The standard wheels I had were def ET 43.

Was mainly concerned about the wheel slightly pulling to either side somtimes and the vibrating at 70 but more than likely is the balancing hopefully.

Also need longer wheel nuts as the guy I bought em off didnt have em so ive got the standard ones in. Anyone know how much im likely to pay?
Makarus

14th May 03 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the pulling and vibrating will be the balancing, only costs me £4.11 per wheel, only need the front 2 doing.

If your looking for extended wheel bolts then try asking your vauxhall dealer.

But your safest bet is to get some wheels that actually do the trick properly without spacers, less hassle more piece of mind.
Red_SXi

14th May 03 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you should put spacers all round rather than just the front 2 wheels?
Makarus

14th May 03 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In theory it shouldnt really matter if only the fronts have spacers because the back is a different axle so the the running width of it all will still be the same.

New Poll