corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dealership rip off prices

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dealership rip off prices
baza31

User status: Offline
28th Jan 15 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's called business . It's down to the consumer to save their own money not the supplier to save the consumer money
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
I agree for the most part. Never forget needing a blower fan motor for my passat. VW wanted £200 odd and that was with staff discount. Got a valeo one from euro carparts for £80. Same part same manufacturer different box. The only difference was this

Euro carparts warranty = 1 year part only
Vw warranty = 2 years parts and labour even though I fitted it myself

My heater matrix was the same, £177 from VW for a Valeo unit, £67 on ebay for exactly the same thing.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
It's called business . It's down to the consumer to save their own money not the supplier to save the consumer money

I would suggest in a market where there is no direct competition for genuine parts, there should be some sort of regulation, as there is in other areas where there is no natural competition to keep prices fair.

Especially when its surrounding something like a car that people are invested to once they have purchased

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by Steve]
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start an online petition, that'll show em
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I don't buy that at all lol

Why?

seems logical, I see the the amount of agreements and standards/tolerances the suppliers have to meet, little things can scrap a part, that a bloke on his drive wouldn't notice.

None OEM service stock is never going to meet the same requirements

there is a mark up a Jag diff is £250 in house, from a dealer its over 1k, that side of it is business, im sure the logistics of storing all these parts in warehouses isnt cheap.

if you want a good part designed and manufactured properly you have to fork out
DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:
I don't buy that at all lol

Why?

seems logical, I see the the amount of agreements and standards/tolerances the suppliers have to meet, little things can scrap a part, that a bloke on his drive wouldn't notice.

None OEM service stock is never going to meet the same requirements

there is a mark up a Jag diff is £250 in house, from a dealer its over 1k, that side of it is business, im sure the logistics of storing all these parts in warehouses isnt cheap.

if you want a good part designed and manufactured properly you have to fork out

Plus the manufacturer is potentially risking a massive warranty payout over a part and I'll bet an OEM supplier has to bare some of the responsibility if they can prove it was an OEM part that failed and say wrote of a £5k engine.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts are not suddenly going to start being a different quality to what they were a few years previous just because a dealer isnt buying so many of them, dont be stupid.

DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Parts are not suddenly going to start being a different quality to what they were a few years previous just because a dealer isnt buying so many of them, dont be stupid.

There may be zero different but the 'official parts' will have official part numbers and will be covered by warranties etc.. Like I said they probably have deals with the manufacturers so they'll have to pay a premium to them as no doubt they'll be signing up to something to agree to pay-out if one of their parts needs revising because its failing and causing damage/warranty claims.
Tiger

28th Jan 15 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I bought 3rd party parts before from eBay and they were shite, I got the bits from dealer and they were spot on.

Im not talking about 3rd party parts you fucking imbecile

watch that blood pressure!
DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about this Steve:

Say you're Mr Chong and you run a factory in Shehnzhen knocking out oil pressure regulators for 1 USD a piece and Land Rover comes to you and says "Mr Chong, we want you to be an OEM supplier but there are some conditions around warranty claims etc."..

Well being as your a shrewd business man you wouldn't continue to sell these parts at 1 USD a piece would you? No ofcourse not! You'd stamp a Land Rover logo on them, pass them through some new stringent QA tests and sell them at 10 USD a piece under the risk of getting royally screwed if it turns out your pressure regulators are junk.

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
Nic Barnes

28th Jan 15 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this seems to be a load of waffle as the guy is having a slow day at work.
Ben G

28th Jan 15 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You pay a premium for several reasons:

1) Because they can away with it.
2) Because they've had to hold stock, some times for YEARS..
3) Because its an OFFICIAL part, it will no doubt be of a better quality than the £3 (which will equate to about 10p manufacturing costs) Chinese factory jobby.
4) Surely its actually a FORD part... Try FORD numb-nuts

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by DaveyLC]

Im not talking about replica parts in talking about the exact same parts just in a dealer box. Eg a lucas pump or gates timing belt etc

Just noticed on the work computers background it says we build the defenders engines here 2.0 and 2.4 diesel?
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont build the 300tdi ones anymore lol
Nic Barnes

28th Jan 15 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could have gilberts sweat in your engine
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some brown residue in the header tank?. Not rust, it'll be fake tan.
Ben G

28th Jan 15 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're build over on the old side, not in our advanced diesel centre thanks very much.
Nic Barnes

28th Jan 15 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Got some brown residue in the header tank?. Not rust, it'll be fake tan.
you trying to say he is a sweaty orange man?
Balling
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price fixing on OEM car parts is something I think is a real issue.

Looking online or at physical dealers a given OEM part almost always costs exactly the same.

I'm surprised they can get away with this.

You look to have an option to report it, so maybe try that:
https://www.gov.uk/competition-law-unfair-pricing-agreements

I'd leave out any arguments about being able to buy similar products at other outlets, though, as frankly that angle is a bit moronic.

Being able to scout the market is your own responsibility.

Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jan 15 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Comparing it with Ebay is a bit silly as that could be one guy in a shed stockpiling a load of old stuff.

I do think the dealers have a challenge on their hands storing all the stuff whether it sells quickly or not. Deffo at an advantage as an indy retailer who can pick and choose what to stock and doesn't really have the same obligation to have the right bits available over the counter.
Dave

28th Jan 15 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do main dealers stock that many parts though? I've often had to order stuff in, although that could be it was rarer stuff I couldn't get from ECP/GSF etc. That said the indy suppliers have to stock for a range of marques too.

I remember when I did the cam belt on my old S3 the tensioner had the Audi logo ground off.

Is there a price difference where different brands share parts, buying Audi parts from a Skoda dealer for instance?
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say 8/10 when iv been they haven't kept something on site
RichR
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other issue is simply dealing with large corporations is a complete farce; simply as a result of the messing about, we load prices or at the very least, don't offer the best pricing structure as the level of paperwork and admin is horrendous. Currently we're being made to sign up to one of the most ridiculous systems I've come across whereby the suppliers of a particular car company have to submit all CoCs and MSDSs online though a specific supplier portal. We only currently supply one material with one MSDS and so far have spent 2-3weeks trying to gain access to the portal including a live web broadcast, telephone conference and PC takeover by the car company's IT and materials departments and we still can't upload the MSDS. We're not allowed to email it over for them to upload on our behalf but in the meantime, we and they have wasted hundreds of hours over a relatively cheap material.

Multiply that over the tens of thousands of items they purchase and the internal and external admin costs are ridiculous and part of the reason that end coatings are so high.
Robin
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find out who supplies the original to the 'manufacturer' and buy it elsewhere. No 'manufacturer' in the world makes every part for every car for themselves.

Mercedes for example;

Filtration is all Mann & Hummel, both logos are printed on their own 'original' filters.
They use ZF steering, suspension and gearbox components, again, all marked with both logos.
Their brakes are supplied by Textar, labelled as either Ate or Brembo.

Everything is available elsewhere, for less money, in the same brand.

At my work, we sell ZF (lemforder) suspension arms which have VW/Audi logos ground off as the agreement is that we can't sell them with that logo on, even though from the dealer it still has the ZF stamp on it.

It's all a con, dealers charge massive amounts for a box with their logo on, that's all, there's hardly anything they make themselves, you're talking about an assembler rather than a manufacturer to be honest.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dealership rip off prices 23 database queries in 0.1915119 seconds