corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dealership rip off prices

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dealership rip off prices
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Jan 15 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a discussion going on in my project about dealer rip off prices, and also a rant in PL from me, so this could be the third place you have seen me waffling on about this

quote:
Its got me thinking. Why isn't anyone investigating it. Or at least gathering a bit of evidence and presenting it to the dealers/tading standards.

It's easy to do, there are 100's of manufacturer parts that are branded with the same part numbers that the dealers just use and rebrand then sell on for double/triple the amount!

I would like to see what response you would get if you purchased for example a Gates timing kit off ebay for £60 then a dealership one that use the same parts just in a dealership branded box thats is twice the price.

Stemmed from this

quote:
Defender oil pressure switch, cheap ebay 3rd party one £4, high quality expensive ebay 3rd party one £8

Dealership genuine part, £30!!!

Basically, dealer prices, a lot of the time the genuine parts are made by someone else then put in a dealership box, a lot of the time you can go on ebay and find the same part in the OEM packaging for a fraction of the price, how are they allowed to get away with this? I think it is misleading for customers who havent the knowledge to realise the same parts can be found cheaper on ebay

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by Steve]
spencer88

28th Jan 15 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy it somewhere else.

Although I agree it is a rip off, I also think things like i-phones are rip offs, based upon their cost to manufacture etc.

Not sure they are legally doing anything wrong?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are under no obligation to buy them. they can charge what they want
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my issue with buy it from somewhere else is I would have thought the dealer would ahve a responsibility to ensure their prices are fair, purely because not everyone has the knowledge to find the same parts elsewhere. Particularly in the car market I would have thought there would need to be some transparency as they almost have a monopoly over you if you own their car and don't have the inside information to realise the parts are lurking on ebay for cheaper. Bit like the energy companies have to be regulated.

iPhones are a bit different, its not like Apple make iphones and sell them on ebay for £30, but then Carphone Warehouse repackage them in their own box and sell them for £130

DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You pay a premium for several reasons:

1) Because they can away with it.
2) Because they've had to hold stock, some times for YEARS..
3) Because its an OFFICIAL part, it will no doubt be of a better quality than the £3 (which will equate to about 10p manufacturing costs) Chinese factory jobby.
4) Surely its actually a FORD part... Try FORD numb-nuts

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I would have thought the dealer would ahve a responsibility to ensure their prices are fair

Its a BUSINESS not a bloody CHARITY!

And lets be honest Defenders aren't exactly 'fairly priced' for what they are so you should expect the trend to continue all the way to the top
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You pay a premium for several reasons:

1) Because they can away with it.
2) Because they've had to hold stock, some times for YEARS..
3) Because its an OFFICIAL part, it will no doubt be of a better quality than the £3 (which will equate to about 10p manufacturing costs) Chinese factory jobby.
4) Surely its actually a FORD part... Try FORD numb-nuts

Im not talking about replica parts in talking about the exact same parts just in a dealer box. Eg a lucas pump or gates timing belt etc
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happened with my clutch, bought one from VW for a little under £300, it didn't last as long as the original, so bought another from eurocarparts for £100.

It was exactly the same clutch kit, came in the same box, same brand.

had it with quite a few parts now, and just don't go to the dealers unless its something i really need.

Want a repair panel at the moment, Vw wanted £82+vat, but they say its obsolete and can't get me one.

Found out i can get the same thing from German VW for 50 euros.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think dealers do it so when a normal person comes in, they quote a massive price, the normal person has no idea what parts are what and won't shop around..

Something that could be fixed for £50, might cost them £300+ at the dealers (with labour), They may as well buy a new car for £199 a month and has luck has it, the dealer has a room full of lovely shiny new cars to sell you.

They just aren't interested in keeping an older car on the road, they just want to sell you a new one every three years.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My issue is when you buy a car you effectively own a product of that brand, and it requires a specific set of knowledge to realise that ebay holds the same parts for loads less.

So to the unsuspecting customer who knows no better, and this is a massive portion of the population, they feel like they have no choice, especially if they are keen on "genuine" parts.

Its not like you can go to any old car store and they will hold "Ford genuine" parts for a lot less.

For most people its either buy a 3rd party part, or have to pay an extortionate amount for a genuine one.

There is no competition for genuine branded stuff, certainly not enough to keep the prices reasonable, therefore I think it needs regulating.

3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do agree with you, but its the same with quite a lot of products.

Someone might throw a pressure washer away as it stops working, another man may be able to fix it with a bit of solder and a 10p electrical part. Or you send it off to Karcher and probably pay £70-£100.

It does make me feel better when i find a cheaper way to fix something, almost a smugness over the people who just watch tv or stand in a pub during their spare time and haven't really got a clue about anything useful.
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probably all come of the same tools,

problem is when and to what standard

during production life of the vehicle this will be controlled tightly by the company.

once out of production tool probably change hands parts are made to a lower quality, tools begin to wear ect,

difference is quality the down the line suppliers wil cut corners to save money as they dont have to hit the high standards set by the OEM

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by tom130691]
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't buy that at all lol
Jambo

28th Jan 15 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But placing their brand on it, you could argue increases the value of the part.

For example the Sachs shocks I got for my M3 where the same as the OEM ones I removed bar a small printed BMW moniker on the strut case, Sachs logo still there etc. However, these Sachs ones where from ECP and a third of the cost of BMW. But to someone who does not know about cars, they would view this as "non genuine" parts as it didn't have a BMW badge on it, nor did it come in a BMW box and it did not have a BMW receipt. So whilst it is the same part, it is not "endorsed" by BMW nor carry their warranty.
The brand adds value for consumer confidence and reassurance. Plus ECP are almost always useless in sending you the wrong parts etc whereas you can expect a better service and part accuracy from a main dealer who will have access to the correct system via VIN rather than relying on a third party reg lookup system which I can assure you is not always correct (from experience).

Not sure why you are annoyed if you know where you can get the parts cheaper and have no trouble with it?
Tiger

28th Jan 15 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought 3rd party parts before from eBay and they were shite, I got the bits from dealer and they were spot on.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember watching "the garage" and they had a Bentley in that need new suspension. The parts came in a posh Bentley bag and box, but once out the box had a Citroen logo on the part

I think you just have to be wise. People like VW don't own a factory making bearings etc, i used to work for some pikey small time local factory that could barely keep a kettle running, they supplied parts to NASA.

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by 3CorsaMeal]
DaveyLC

28th Jan 15 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I remember watching "the garage" and they had a Bentley in that need new suspension. The parts came in a posh Bentley bag and box, but once out the box had a Citroen logo on the part

The Green Hydro-gas 'sphere' things? The Citroen parts are used on loads of older cars, Mercedes too I believe.. I bet that upsets loads of people

Ben G

28th Jan 15 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't bother me.

If someone is stupid enough not to do research or look online then it's their problem.
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 15 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

The Green Hydro-gas 'sphere' things? The Citroen parts are used on loads of older cars, Mercedes too I believe.. I bet that upsets loads of people

Yeah, that was them.

I can go to Ford and buy VR6 parts cheaper than i can from VW, as VW sold Ford the engine to go in the Galaxy V6, i also believe a few merc vans use the VR6 as well.
Ben G

28th Jan 15 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Galaxy must be quick if it has the legendary VW corrado Vr6 engine.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I bought 3rd party parts before from eBay and they were shite, I got the bits from dealer and they were spot on.

Im not talking about 3rd party parts you fucking imbecile
Jambo

28th Jan 15 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parts from eBay and cheapo Chinese parts are generally shite yes.

Temp sensor was £10 from GSF or £21 from BMW. I took the GSF one and fitted it, the pins looked like they where aligned by Stevie Wonder and upon driving the vehicle it showed me after the engine being on for 2minutes that it was overheating. Drove straight to BM, got a gen part, fitted in >5mins and temp gauge was normal.

Also there is a lot of parts that will only be manufacturer stocked such as interior fittings etc.
Steve
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
But placing their brand on it, you could argue increases the value of the part.

For example the Sachs shocks I got for my M3 where the same as the OEM ones I removed bar a small printed BMW moniker on the strut case, Sachs logo still there etc. However, these Sachs ones where from ECP and a third of the cost of BMW. But to someone who does not know about cars, they would view this as "non genuine" parts as it didn't have a BMW badge on it, nor did it come in a BMW box and it did not have a BMW receipt. So whilst it is the same part, it is not "endorsed" by BMW nor carry their warranty.
The brand adds value for consumer confidence and reassurance. Plus ECP are almost always useless in sending you the wrong parts etc whereas you can expect a better service and part accuracy from a main dealer who will have access to the correct system via VIN rather than relying on a third party reg lookup system which I can assure you is not always correct (from experience).

Not sure why you are annoyed if you know where you can get the parts cheaper and have no trouble with it?

Dont get me wrong I expect to pay a bit more for something to come in a box that says Ford, for the reasons you and others point out, but some of the inflation is ridiculous, we are talking 3-500% inflation on some bits

My oil switch for example I was willing to pay double the most expensive item I could find on ebay but when they quote 3-4 times the amount its a down right rip off

Firestate88

28th Jan 15 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure if this is for all dealers but I know vauxhall don't make any money on the corsa's etc when they are sold they just about break even, they make their money on the parts which could possibly be why they charge so much, or they told us bullshit but just a thought
Mattb

28th Jan 15 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree for the most part. Never forget needing a blower fan motor for my passat. VW wanted £200 odd and that was with staff discount. Got a valeo one from euro carparts for £80. Same part same manufacturer different box. The only difference was this

Euro carparts warranty = 1 year part only
Vw warranty = 2 years parts and labour even though I fitted it myself

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dealership rip off prices 22 database queries in 0.1675599 seconds