corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's the weather like by you?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's the weather like by you?
kennySRi

User status: Offline
18th Jan 15 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just come home from the most dangerous few hours of my life

It's been snowing and sleeting here the past day or so and temperature just over freezing. I had been driving around the local towns all night without any problems really but noticed that I hadn't seen a single gritter on the roads. Then all of a sudden the roads became sheet ice, and I mean the main A and B roads. I had a call from my mate saying he has crashed his car into a field so I went down to help. It's a 60mph and even going 20mph and expecting it to be bad I lost control and nearly crashed. Whilst standing by the road with them and a taxi who stopped to help a car came flying down the road and completely lost it and smashed into a wall. I was only there for a 5 minutes and so many cars came sliding all over.

Half an hour later I went onto another main road and as I was pretty much sideways going round a bend there was a taxi on its roof that had smashed into a signpost that I nearly hit. Obviously stopped to see if they were ok (a few cars had already stopped to help) and again I saw another load of cars sliding around nearly crashing.

The road are absolutely lethal around here with no grit anywhere. I've never seen anything like it, especially on the main roads from town to town.

What's it like for everybody else?

Ps. Is there any reason my bmw cannot move on flat icy roads at 5mph without any throttle on without sliding constantly? It was useless!

Sorry for the long post, I'm just amazed at how many crashes are going to happen tonight in this town.
Brett
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 01:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thick snow outside. Should be fun in my BM tomorrow, more so with the two rear tyres that caused it to fail its MOT today Need to go get them sorted tho.
C2RL R

18th Jan 15 at 04:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

31 degrees and humid
Welly Wanger

18th Jan 15 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

31 degrees also, drops below 20 at night and the locals are kitted out for the UK's weather atm
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 07:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My experience has been that most people show utter ineptitude when it comes to driving in winter. Too fast when the roads are icy and 30mph everywhere when they are just wet
johnny86
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rain no ice
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine in Derby; cold but no snow. Been snow just south of here during the week and I think there's plenty in the peaks just north.

Plan on heading into the peaks today with the camera so that should make for a bit of fun on the lanes.

MX5 Project Thread
andy1868

18th Jan 15 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whereabouts in Lancashire are you Kenny? I'm in South Lancs near Ormskirk and the worst we've had is sleet and a shitload of rain, we always tend to avoid the worst of it round here!
taylorboosh

18th Jan 15 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice here
VegasPhil
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had that sheet ice one morning here years ago. It is literally so lethal. People couldn't even get their cars to move.

Weather is damp here on the south coast . Might wash the car off.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
BeetleGav

18th Jan 15 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty bad round mine, frozen solid. Somehow don't think even my winter tyres will work on sheet ice to get off my street.
They were awesome in the snow though, no wheelspin at all (unless on purpose)
pow
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a spattering of snow on the higher areas yesterday, little bit of ice around but ntohing to write home about.
kennySRi

18th Jan 15 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
Whereabouts in Lancashire are you Kenny? I'm in South Lancs near Ormskirk and the worst we've had is sleet and a shitload of rain, we always tend to avoid the worst of it round here!

I'm in Blackburn. I went over to preston/chorley and everything was fine and came back to blackburn/clitheroe and was a town full of sheet ice.

It's meant to get really cold this week so just a warning to you all that even if the roads look fine they may not be!
Generation

18th Jan 15 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not seen any snow, or ice here at all
Ben G

18th Jan 15 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cold but sunny here. Hate winter.
BeetleGav

18th Jan 15 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
quote:
Originally posted by andy1868

I'm in Blackburn. I went over to preston/chorley and everything was fine and came back to blackburn/clitheroe and was a town full of sheet ice.

It's meant to get really cold this week so just a warning to you all that even if the roads look fine they may not be!

Motorway was bad last night between burnley n Blackburn.
Seems alright, just in Blackburn now. All thawed

[Edited on 18-01-2015 by BeetleGav]
Dave

18th Jan 15 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem round here seems to be that the temps are hovering around 0. The "snow" that fell was pretty wet anyway, almost like fine hail really, so it thaws slightly during the day then freezes again over night. There was no way I was taking the car out this morning but it seems to have thawed again now and a few people have driven over and broken it up.
whitter45

18th Jan 15 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dropped the Mrs off at the airport this morning and the M56 was bad

This was ours around 8am this morning at -4

whitter45

18th Jan 15 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesn't stop this guy though

[Edited on 18-01-2015 by whitter45]
kz

18th Jan 15 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think we're going to get any snow this year in Southend... didn't last year either! The one year I really wouldn't mind seeing as though I'm not driving atm.
Ben G

18th Jan 15 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was my missus' parents road over Christmas. That's not a dusting of snow. It's pure ice. Luckily it's a cul-de-sac so you can just drive down it at 1mph. I can only imagine it being an absolute nightmare on any main roads.

pow
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

None of the south saw snow last year KZ
BeetleGav

18th Jan 15 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ShEp

18th Jan 15 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4-5 inches of snow past few days.
Aaron

18th Jan 15 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
doesn't stop this guy though

[Edited on 18-01-2015 by whitter45]

Probably a drug dealer

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's the weather like by you? 23 database queries in 0.1029558 seconds