corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel prices, especially Birmingham people.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fuel prices, especially Birmingham people.
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
12th Jan 15 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Exactly so you can't say it's exactly 1 litre of fuel.. Which is my point

??? It is
pow
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't believe I've strectched the current tank out over two weeks! Won't need any until I do my Bucks school visit on Weds.
Ben G

12th Jan 15 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Exactly so you can't say it's exactly 1 litre of fuel.. Which is my point

??? It is

It could be 1.005 of a litre. Not exactly a litre.
pow
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be 1.009 litres You could also stop worrying about 4p over a tank of juice.
Ben G

12th Jan 15 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Pow. I wouldn't worry about it. Just pointing out the obvious error by johnbooshtaylorxecorsa

I filled up today at 104.9p/l. 50 quid, 48.something litres. Not bad at all.

It was over 70 quid last year. 20 quid a week saving is a lot to me. That's my sky bill paid for every month.

[Edited on 12-01-2015 by Ben G]
IainW

12th Jan 15 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put 10 litres in and it will show as £10.79 or whatever the price is by you... It never shows properly when you put 1 litre in, I've tried it and it didn't show, put 10 in and it was exactly the same as advertised.
Generation

12th Jan 15 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad you two can see what I'm saying.. This is exactly what people
On Facebook were ranting about, accusing staff at petrol stations of all sorts
IainW

12th Jan 15 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People just can't comprehend it and just want something to complain about nowadays. It's pretty easy to understand tbh

[Edited on 12-01-2015 by IainW]
Andrew

12th Jan 15 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm saving a small fortune at the minute. I've gone from a revvy petrol to a boring diesel.

Costs me £50 - £52 to fill up the Focus and that lasts me a 6 day working week (around 500 miles). Gets filled up at Morrisons when doing the weekly shop.

Loving the current fuel costs!!
taylorboosh

12th Jan 15 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'm saving a small fortune at the minute. I've gone from a revvy petrol to a boring diesel.

Costs me £50 - £52 to fill up the Focus and that lasts me a 6 day working week (around 500 miles). Gets filled up at Morrisons when doing the weekly shop.

Loving the current fuel costs!!

Fucking revvy petrol you are actually my favourite member
GB123
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

taylorboosh

12th Jan 15 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Decides against ep3 ctr and buys a revvy pug 307 instead

Logical choice
Ben G

12th Jan 15 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw that but didn't want to comment
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jan 15 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Sure have been. Paid more than the price listed.

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
It is exactly 1litre of fuel. 1.00 is 1litre.

You can have exactly four apples, because they're countable. You can't have exactly four litres, because in the real world, it would be very difficult to regulate that accurately.

What you're seeing there is a rounding error which based on how the pump works will be somewhere around 1 litre, but not exactly.

My suspicion is that its a floor measurement, ie. simply chop off the insignificant digits. In order that you don't every get actually had off, for example if you dispensed 0.995 litres and that got rounded up and you got told you had 1 litre when you didn't.

You'd need to take a load of measurements at different prices to get a rough idea of what is going on which I did plan to do after that hoohar on Facebook a while back which me and Mike pooned.

But the crux is you can't accurately say what you've put in the tank. Hence you're already dealing with error before you even begin to multiply by a decimal and truncate the outcome of that.

There are also scenarios under which the error gets less at larger values, ie. if the calculation only rounds right at the end of dispensing a large amount so the price can only be +/- 1p in the final score. ie. the most you can possibly lose out on is 1p, and that's if you were very unlikely and dispensed the exact amount of liquid to put yourself at the greatest disadvantage.

Not really is it not really worth worrying about, but there is also no real solution unless you want highly accurate pumps (more accurate than they are already) and the ability to pay in fractions of a pence.

You probably lose more through evaporation while you're stood there.

[Edited on 13-01-2015 by Ian]
Corsa_Sport21

13th Jan 15 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But at the end of the day, the price per litre on the board didn't match the price per litre at the pump.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Jan 15 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but it never can. What you are proposing there is to be able to pay in fractions of a pence.

Or to give that fraction to either you or the retailer. The latter being what actually happens.
SVM 286

13th Jan 15 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
I don't see the point in looking, i'd still need to put petrol in to get to work and back whether its expensive or not.

Yes, but you go to whom ever is cheapest though don't you Jason.
SVM 286

13th Jan 15 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I only fill up at Shell, even though it's usually a few pence more than the supermarkets. I even drive into the next town, past Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons purely to use Shell. How's that for elite

Shell is cheaper than anyone else near me Dave. I'd use them anyway, but the price makes it a non decision.
Jason x
Premium Member

14th Jan 15 at 00:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
I don't see the point in looking, i'd still need to put petrol in to get to work and back whether its expensive or not.

Yes, but you go to whom ever is cheapest though don't you Jason.

I go to Morrisons for petrol, mainly because of the build a burger sweets they sell by the counter.. and the fact the woman at texaco doesn't let me in the shop and makes me pay through a window like im at the post office.

[Edited on 14-01-2015 by Jason x]
taylorboosh

14th Jan 15 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should go to the hot food counter and get yourself some criss cuts and chicken bites - im getting some today
Dave

14th Jan 15 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ordered 2000ltrs diesel for 45p/ltr. I assume that's what we'd pay at the pump if it wasn't for fuel duty.
Ben G

14th Jan 15 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think at today's prices, we'd be paying 30p a litre of petrol if there we no taxes. That's what I read anyway.

Obviously oil companies would just increase the price anyway.
Nic Barnes

14th Jan 15 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I think at today's prices, we'd be paying 30p a litre of petrol if there we no taxes. That's what I read anyway.

you think what you read
Ben G

14th Jan 15 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.
pow
Premium Member

14th Jan 15 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filled up with diesel for 109.9 tonight. Bit lighter on the pocket.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel prices, especially Birmingham people. 22 database queries in 0.1917140 seconds