corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend football thread sponsored by Ben Gs amazing disappearing threads

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekend football thread sponsored by Ben Gs amazing disappearing threads
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 15 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GET RID OF 3-5-2!

thanks
Marc

12th Jan 15 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought we found yesterday really difficult. I recorded it and watched it a bit later (managed to not look at any scores) I don't think it was from a lack of trying on our part, but really need to sort our defence out. Southampton were brilliant and deserved the win. If only we could sort our defence out like theirs.

Herrera could do with beefing himself up a bit too.
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
GET RID OF 3-5-2!

thanks

Interesting, isnt it?

What I've heard from Man Utd fans this season: "Oh its a million times better under Van Gaal, you can see the progress and its far more entertaining" [well, you'd hope so given hes spent over £100m on players]

Utd under Moyes after 21 games:

37 points, 35 goals

Utd under Van Gaal after 21 games:

37 points, 34 goals

Oh, so thats neither progress, nor more exciting. Talk about head in the sand.

Knew this would happen though. Van Gaal is trendy, hes foreign, talks in riddles in press conferences, plays a funky formation and once subbed a keeper before a pen shootout which for some reason had people wanking, so people give him a ridiculous amount leeway.

I absolutely guarantee that if Moyes had stayed, spent the money he had, brought in the players he had, played the formations he did and produced these results then the fans would be up in arms. Proof that image matters and can change peoples opinions, regardless of the obvious facts. Hes also lucky the premier league is weak as fuck this season although that makes the points hes scored even more of a joke.
p

12th Jan 15 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the situation quickly as I'm on the train, RE United, the defence is a non debate, plus the new players they do have need time to gel and bed in, get consistency, and no injuries. As for the strike force, there's just too much to accommodate I think. Rooney, Special Juan, Dive Maria, Falcao, RVP, it's too mislodged. Midfield isn't as combative and destructive as it needs to be. Those attacking players not exactly known for helping out the defence exactly.
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said at the start of the season their squad was ridiculously unbalanced, especially in midfield. They've got no fucker whose going to get stuck in and break up the play, even a conference manager knows you can't just pack your team with flair players and expect to win stuff. He could've spent half of what he did in the summer and had a far better team. Instead he wasted it on players like Falcao who are perma crocked and Di Maria who wasnt even required. What type of twat spends that much and still ends up with a starting 11 that includes Tyler Blackett and Jonny Evans?!

But its ok because its Van Gaal, he subbed a keeper once you know.
Marc

12th Jan 15 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did say recently we feel a bit like City at the moment, too many big name players (minus the results)

Problem with Moyes was no one wanted to come and play under him. Thats the difference. Results aside.
Cavey

12th Jan 15 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moyes beat Barcelona.
Y869 SRA

12th Jan 15 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Problem with Moyes was no one wanted to come and play under him. Thats the difference. Results aside.

Agreed. They just didn't trust him. Who would after he got ridda Fergies backroom staff? That was his first mistake.
He clearly didn't know what to do with all that money, he bought Fellaini after all.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The football is definitely better this year, it was woeful last year regardless of the similar points.

Up until yesterday home form had been excellent!
Marc

12th Jan 15 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Y869 SRA
he bought Fellaini after all.

Who happens to be playing a lot better under LVG!
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The football is definitely better this year, it was woeful last year regardless of the similar points.

Up until yesterday home form had been excellent!

Tinted glasses somewhat. Theres been numerous games this year where you've been garbage, you've even posted it on here yourself. This having spent some serious cash. Arsenal play some nice stuff but you're first on here laughing at Wenger when they dont get the results.

Why not just admit hes failing at the moment?

Whatever way you try to spin it, youve scored less, with an attack of Rooney/RvP/DiMaria/Falcao/Mata [Moyes only had 2 of those at this point last season], and you more importantly you havent improved points wise, the only stat that matters. £100m plus spent, no CL games and still the same as Moyes.

If this was Moyes youd be going mad, just admit it.
Marc

12th Jan 15 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think generally other teams aren't performing as well so far this season too. Hence our higher position in the table compared with last year.
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The premier league is gash this year. Liverpool have regressed horribly, Arsenal have been fannying about, Spurs have taken ages to get going and then get done by Palace. Everton have gone backwards.

LvG is lucky because this time last year his efforts would've had you 7th, 4 points away from 4th.

With the money spent and the fact he was hailed as some kind of managing god having scraped Holland past Costa Rica a title challenge shouldve been the minimum expectation, anything else is failure.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think title challenge is a bit strong as an expectation lol. Next year I am expecting a title challenge though.
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont see why not? He inherited a pretty talented side that needed a midfield enforcer and a few defenders.

He got given well over £100m to spend, more than enough. He also didnt have the distraction of any european games.

If Liverpool could manage it last season with the infinitely less rated Rodgers, then i dont see why Louis Van God couldnt?

He has no excuses.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A load of new players though, will take a bit of time to settle.

At Liverpool they had already been in place a while, the key players anyway

Don't forget the philosophy, it a process, and it take time

[Edited on 12-01-2015 by Steve]
JonnyJ

12th Jan 15 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The needing time to settle thing is a load of shite, Southampton arent managing too bad.

Fair play to LvG, hes smart, got his excuses in early and Utd fans have lapped it up
Rob_Quads

12th Jan 15 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The getting used to it does count for players coming from different league which are used to different i.e. non-physical, slow leagues but if your moving from club to club you should be able to adjust.

Man C (due to squad size) and Chelsea (due to sheer quality of players) are streets ahead of the rest which are all messing around - Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham etc and as a result you have the WHU and Southampton right up there
kennySRi

12th Jan 15 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think everybody (including the media) is forgetting that a big reason we are on the same amount of points despite spending all that money is because we have lost Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand all in one summer and haven't replaced them. Obviously we are losing games because of that and as soon as it gets addressed then a title challenge is going to happen.

This season's aim was to get into the top 4 and next year to go for the title and I don't see a reason why that isn't going to happen.
Ben G

12th Jan 15 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whu are right up there because they've been pretty bloody good, not because others have failed.

andys sxi
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think having a fully fit united squad is going to give LVG a task, because he doesn't know his strongest team and there best positions. After yesterday's performance questions need to be asked no shots on target at home that's poor ! I wish he would stop using the stupid 3-5-2 formation. I shouldn't really say this but I hope we get battered by a team 3 or 4 nil so he realises and stops using it

April 08 feature car
Joe

12th Jan 15 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think defence is the major issue any more, when you can't manage one shot on target at home then there is bigger problems further up the pitch.
Marc

12th Jan 15 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not defending the formation, but it isn't like we have a solid back 4. I can only think at the moment he thinks he is picking the strongest players.

Of course he could always play Valencia and Carrick out of position.
andys sxi
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't understand the Blackett change yesterday, we needed a goal so he brings on another defender why not put Carrick at cb and bring on another midfielder like Herrera

April 08 feature car
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jan 15 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whlst all the injuries there was an excuse for a back 3, now they are all back there isnt. I think hes trying to be clever.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend football thread sponsored by Ben Gs amazing disappearing threads 24 database queries in 0.1037478 seconds