corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread

New Poll
  <<  25    26    27    28    29    30    31  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread
Jambo

User status: Offline
21st Jun 15 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They sent him out late Jonny.
Ben G

21st Jun 15 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that was a bit shit Vettel not able to get past Massa and Lewis just being shit.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jun 15 at 14:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kimi/Nando crash was pretty scary. Can only imagine what's going through Kimi's head when he's strapped in to the point he can't move his head - and there's an F1 car a foot or so away, at any point could catch a post/part of the barrier and send it smashing into his face

Bit of a crap race for Lewis, but still did the sensible thing and backed right off after he got his penalty. Shame Rosbergs' wheel couldn't have fallen off on the last lap

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

21st Jun 15 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surprised the Lewis haters haven't sprung up.
Jambo

21st Jun 15 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty lame race really. Always get excited about Austria like Monza as it was a quick race.

But literally was a snooze fest
Ben G

21st Jun 15 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, been pretty much that way most of the season so far. Getting bored of F1 tbh. Might aswell watch 15 minutes of highlights as 2/3rd's of the race is shit.
Jambo

21st Jun 15 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This whole engine development thing is really getting me down also. As much as it amuses me to see McLaren unable to finish the race it's not really acceptable. It's pretty much a form of communism.
Ben G

21st Jun 15 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can understand why Mercedes and Ferrari are blocking it though. Rules are rules and they've spent a load of money preparing the best engines for years and years.

Any rule change will wipe our their advantage.
Aaron

22nd Jun 15 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Surprised the Lewis haters haven't sprung up.

Maybe they didn't want to hurt JonnyJ's feelings.
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice to know im always first in your thoughts you weirdo

Didnt think the race was that bad, first lap crash was pretty As said, must've been pretty scary for Kimi as Alonso's car kept coming over the top near his head, just glad it didnt clip something and pivot round into him.

Some decent racing in the midfield but Austria is tricky to overtake on and of course McLaren's test session went superbly McLarenly.

Good win for Nico, had Lewis beaten all ends up, I still dont know how Lewis found that time on him for pole but hes was quick all weekend so he got the win he deserved.

Silverstone should be the perfect tonic to get Lewis back in the zone again though

Oh and how the fuck did Maldonado hold that tank slapper on the straight?! Must've been doing about 170mph when that snapped

[Edited on 22-06-2015 by JonnyJ]
Jambo

22nd Jun 15 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im starting to really like Maldanado

Somewhere under all the calamity is some talent, he just gets on with it. I also noticed that and he just shrugged it off.

Hes great entertainment.

Second JJ's Mclareny - Kimi kind of helped too
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, i know people like to bash him because he gets into a few accidents but hes genuinely quick and hes starting to make less silly mistakes. He'll never be a top, top driver, but i do think hes worth his place on the grid.

Anyway, thank god he did hold it because if that'd been a safety car that the race finished under then Lewis' 5 second penalty would've probably punted him out of the points...
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jun 15 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did we ever get a good angle from Alonso's POV to see whether Kimi was tapped or if he just lost it on the gas?

If the latter, there definitely must be an issue with their launch map on that Ferrari as Kimi has dropped it a few times over the last couple of years either on the opening lap or after a pit stop.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kimi & Alonso have both said there was no contact prior to him losing it.

No onboard footage from Alonso apparently, probably McLarens fault that wasnt working too.

Rick Draper

22nd Jun 15 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no denying Merc have done a superb job both on the engine and the chassis and all the fanboys are drowning in a massive pool of jizz, piss and shit. Surely even they can see what a joke the current F1 series has become?. 25 place grid penalties when there is only 20 cars, public shaming of Honda and Renault (can F1 afford this?) despite them putting millions in trying to compete. How does F1 expect to attract any other car makes the way things are?

I think there might be big changes ahead and I agree with what Horner has said today, F1 needs a Brawn type figure, independant of the teams to draw up the rules, hand them to the FIA and then the FIA implement them. No I put from the teams, here are the rules, don't like them then leave. He described the teams strategy group as fairly inept as they will all have there own agendas as usual.

[Edited on 22-06-2015 by Rick Draper]
Ben G

22nd Jun 15 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but every team agreed to these ruoe changes until the 2017 season. Can't just change them half way through, else the fia will get sued for breaching contract.

JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would LOVE IT if they open up development and Merc just steamed further ahead

The way i see it no one put a gun to Honda's head and said enter in 2015 or else, they clearly werent ready so they should have waited until they were sure they had something competitive before entering and now they are making complete tits of themselves in public. And Renault can STFU up too as they were the ones that threatened to leave the sport unless these PU's were brought in. Not only that, given the teams, bizarrely, all have an input into the rules, they all agreed that this was the way to go [penalties, development limits etc], imagine crying about the rules of the game when you voted for them

Im 100% for opening it up, I'd love to see the others get closer [except McLaren, they can rot at the back for the lols] but Renault and Honda can hardly moan when they knew what they were getting into.

Lets not also forget that before this season, the teams could basically change anything on the engine, the ones they are running now are nearly all completely different to the ones they ran in 2014 and Merc are still in front and Renault have actually made theirs worse whats to say opening it up will actually achieve anything? Worth a go though i suppose, no excuses then.

Fully agree on the teams not having a say in the rules though, its ludicrous that they do. The FIA are the sports governing body and should decide them. Having the teams involved is bizarre and i cant think of another sport which allows this. Agendas everywhere.

Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jun 15 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
There is no denying Merc have done a superb job both on the engine and the chassis and all the fanboys are drowning in a massive pool of jizz, piss and shit. Surely even they can see what a joke the current F1 series has become?. 25 place grid penalties when there is only 20 cars, public shaming of Honda and Renault (can F1 afford this?) despite them putting millions in trying to compete. How does F1 expect to attract any other car makes the way things are?

I think there might be big changes ahead and I agree with what Horner has said today, F1 needs a Brawn type figure, independant of the teams to draw up the rules, hand them to the FIA and then the FIA implement them. No I put from the teams, here are the rules, don't like them then leave. He described the teams strategy group as fairly inept as they will all have there own agendas as usual.

[Edited on 22-06-2015 by Rick Draper]

Agree completely, which is weird because you're normally an idiot

The purists wouldn't like it, but we need to have a development allowance that is proportionally opposite to the WCC standings I guess.

There's no great danger in giving Marussia a million development tokens because they can't afford ot use any of them, but for the midfield teams with some budget it may be a nice equaliser.

Every year there will be the chance of a teaming rocking up in Round 1 with a massive gimmick or silver bullet component that the other teams are unable to emulate (until its too late) due to fundamental car design philsophy, funding or the block on engine development. What they need to be sure of is that a team can't get the silver bullet at the start of a new formula and then just enhance that advantage exponentially until the rules change again which appears to be what Merc are doing.

I'm not sure exactly what appointing Ross Brawn (or similar) would bring, some sense perhaps to the "strategy group" to prevent sprinklers and snow machines from featuring in Bahrain - but ultimately the sport needs an artificial diminishing returns mechanic to keep a leash on Mercedes or the Red Bull of yesteryear.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jun 15 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
but ultimately the sport needs an artificial diminishing returns mechanic to keep a leash on Mercedes or the Red Bull of yesteryear.

It's also worth noting on the counter argument that time alone will achieve this. That's exactly what happened with the V8s. When was the last time you can remember talking about Monza being a Mercedes track or Monaco being a Ferrari track in the context of engines? It was just Aero Aero Aero by the end of the V8 formula, same will happen with the V6Turbo's but how long will it take and at what cost?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jun 15 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F1 is/was exciting because of the danger element, slowly but surely they are making it safer and safer by removing the danger element. They will never start making it more dangerous again therefore F1 will never be as exciting again

[Edited on 22-06-2015 by Steve]
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
but ultimately the sport needs an artificial diminishing returns mechanic to keep a leash on Mercedes or the Red Bull of yesteryear.

It's also worth noting on the counter argument that time alone will achieve this. That's exactly what happened with the V8s. When was the last time you can remember talking about Monza being a Mercedes track or Monaco being a Ferrari track in the context of engines? It was just Aero Aero Aero by the end of the V8 formula, same will happen with the V6Turbo's but how long will it take and at what cost?

The history of F1 has shown that the more stable a rule set, the closer the racing gets. So they need to forget all this gimmicky bollocks, allow development and eventually they'll all arrive at the same conclusion. Obviously though the cost is the issue and we'd no doubt see several of the less well funded teams go bust. Maybe they should open it up on the priviso they cannot charge the customer teams more for their engines. I think Will Buxton made a decent post about this on his blog

https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/let-it-go/
Rick Draper

22nd Jun 15 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Agree completely, which is weird because you're normally an idiot

The purists wouldn't like it, but we need to have a development allowance that is proportionally opposite to the WCC standings I guess.

There's no great danger in giving Marussia a million development tokens because they can't afford ot use any of them, but for the midfield teams with some budget it may be a nice equaliser.

Every year there will be the chance of a teaming rocking up in Round 1 with a massive gimmick or silver bullet component that the other teams are unable to emulate (until its too late) due to fundamental car design philsophy, funding or the block on engine development. What they need to be sure of is that a team can't get the silver bullet at the start of a new formula and then just enhance that advantage exponentially until the rules change again which appears to be what Merc are doing.

I'm not sure exactly what appointing Ross Brawn (or similar) would bring, some sense perhaps to the "strategy group" to prevent sprinklers and snow machines from featuring in Bahrain - but ultimately the sport needs an artificial diminishing returns mechanic to keep a leash on Mercedes or the Red Bull of yesteryear.

Thanks it means a lot that you agree

Yes I agree JJ everyone signed up to the rules but at the same time all the rules are currently doing is driving away any manufacturer that was remotely interested in entering F1. Why spend millions to be made look like you have no idea at all?. Most are just trying to do it pioneer new technology but are unable to do so propley as there is a development ban penalties for failure etc etc.

You might as well go and race Lemans, I don't know why Porche or Audi would give up that series currently for F1?. If Renault Walt away that leaves just Ferrari, Mercedes and Honda. That's not in the interest of the sport or the public to have so few manufacturers and the show will just get even worse.

The idea with Brawn is Horner would like someone like him to sit, draw up a set of rules and regulations that the FIA can give to the teams and that's the formula for F1. Currently the teams and manufacturers cannot agree on what's black and what's white. They all want there own agendas and cannot even agree on additional engines so any major changes to the formula would be nigh on impossible.

McLaren are now where Williams once were, miles off the pace and a shit car. The only difference is they have two WC's that they are paying millions for!
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
F1 is/was exciting because of the danger element, slowly but surely they are making it safer and safer by removing the danger element. They will never start making it more dangerous again therefore F1 will never be as exciting again

Dont agree with that. I dont watch F1 on the off chance theres a massive crash or someone getting killed. I think the run-offs are overkill now but i wouldnt find F1 any more or less interesting/exciting to watch if the barriers were rigged to detonate on impact.
JonnyJ

22nd Jun 15 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper

Thanks it means a lot that you agree

Yes I agree JJ everyone signed up to the rules but at the same time all the rules are currently doing is driving away any manufacturer that was remotely interested in entering F1. Why spend millions to be made look like you have no idea at all?. Most are just trying to do it pioneer new technology but are unable to do so propley as there is a development ban penalties for failure etc etc.

You might as well go and race Lemans, I don't know why Porche or Audi would give up that series currently for F1?. If Renault Walt away that leaves just Ferrari, Mercedes and Honda. That's not in the interest of the sport or the public to have so few manufacturers and the show will just get even worse.

The idea with Brawn is Horner would like someone like him to sit, draw up a set of rules and regulations that the FIA can give to the teams and that's the formula for F1. Currently the teams and manufacturers cannot agree on what's black and what's white. They all want there own agendas and cannot even agree on additional engines so any major changes to the formula would be nigh on impossible.

McLaren are now where Williams once were, miles off the pace and a shit car. The only difference is they have two WC's that they are paying millions for!

As i say Rick, i do think they need to open it up and give incentives for others to join. I think they didnt quite realise what they were getting into when they drew up the rules for these new PU's, overambitious to say the least. I think a relax is needed, whilst making sure the increased spending doesnt drive out the privateers.

Unfortunately, its not going to happen whilst the teams have a vote on the rules, because those with the advantage are never going to agree to put that at risk, especially when, in fairness, all they are guilty of is doing a good job.
Jambo

22nd Jun 15 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Dont agree with that. I dont watch F1 on the off chance theres a massive crash or someone getting killed. I think the run-offs are overkill now but i wouldnt find F1 any more or less interesting/exciting to watch if the barriers were rigged to detonate on impact.

Agree 100% with this.

<<  25    26    27    28    29    30    31  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread 24 database queries in 0.1935129 seconds