corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My House

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My House
John

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 15 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiling is fairly easy when you have flat, square walls. Not quits so easy otherwise. Big tiles are also surprisingly more difficult than small ones.
Carl

2nd Jan 15 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work , love these threads.
Graham88

3rd Jan 15 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah tiling made me realise how uneven the walls were! You can compensate for it slightly with tiles, like John said bigger tiles are harder, a lot easier to notice the imperfections

Cheers Carl!

Finally got down to Richer Sounds to buy my AV Receiver & Surround Sound & Sub. Have done a lot of research into this before buying but am happy with what I bought. It's overkill for me but gives me the chance to progress the sound system further in future if I want too. Plus being able to control it from my phone is pretty cool!

Can't wait to have a proper play about with it tomorrow :-)

Also got a pic of the finished boxing underneath the boiler!

[Edited on 03-01-2015 by Graham88]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Jan 15 at 02:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks great only thing i dont like is the worktops. makes it look cheap imo
Graham88

3rd Jan 15 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, first person to say anything negative about them tbf, everyone else loves the fact they're different from the normal patterns, but each to their own and all that :-)
Jon_C
Premium Member

3rd Jan 15 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks cool in the background
--ToM--

3rd Jan 15 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the tiling advice guys! Gonna have to have a crack at it I think!
Graham88

15th Jan 15 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted the speakers, they sound awesome

I fitted my Xmas present. It's actually an awesome hose. Never thought I'd get excited over a hose!

Sent some pictures and a long email to the Council explaining what I want to do for my garage, have to allow 28 days for a reply, long.

Have plenty of little jobs to get on with but have completely lose my mojo since stopping for Xmas.

Right I'm going back on GTA V.
Ben G

15th Jan 15 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those hoses are so good. Absolutely love mine. No more farting around trying to reel it in, just pull and let it reel itself.
Graham88

16th Jan 15 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah man it's epic, didn't realise how good it was till I installed it, very idiot proof to put together too! Enjoyed giving the cars a wash as they hadn't been done since I moved in.
Graham88

16th Jan 15 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh & me and my brother finished off the LED strip lighting. Gives a nice effect.

spencer88

16th Jan 15 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea why anyone would say that worktop is 'cheap'

Whole kitchen looks brilliant.

What LED strip lighting did you use?
whitter45

16th Jan 15 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks fantastic - congratulations

Mrs keeps going on about a new kitchen
Graham88

16th Jan 15 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Spencer. Was a bit baffled by that comment but like I said each to their own!

I used RGB strip lighting on recommendation from my Bro so we can switch to fancy colours if we want, but I mainly bought it so we can have a cool white effect , does make me wish we had more higher cupboards but the kitchen is the wrong shape for that!
It has a 3M sticky back but I'm not overly impressed by it as it keeps coming unstuck. Not sure if it's because the surface it's stuck too is perfectly smooth? Very easy to install though and cut to length, only £13 on eBay!

Cheers whitter, very happy we have done it. Nice to read comments on here and everyone who has seen it so far has loved it so makes all the hard work worth it.
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have that hose as well
Graham88

6th Feb 15 at 02:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Built a corner out of MDF and put the coving up to finish above the boiler:

And put the last bit of coving above the doorframe up to the extractor and painted that:

After a bit of a nightmare with the shelving and the AV receiver not fitting I removed it all, made new shelves out of 9mm instead of 18mm and moved the bottom shelf down to rest on the skirting so I could both get the receiver in plus give it some breathing space. All fits lovely now, just need a longer sub cable as you can see, and a HDMI extender for the thunderbolt lead from the computer as it's short by about half a metre. Very happy with how neat it all looks. Just need to sort 2 double sockets to get in there to start to tidy up the messy wiring to the right hand side where the computer is. Eventually want to build a computer desk for that corner to get rid of the freestanding one.

Starting to price up garage build costs. No idea where to start with it all to be honest. Going to do as much of it myself and even the bits I can't do will be organised by me, as in I'm not paying a builder to come in and sub contract the work he can't do as that will be alot more costly. I know a bricklayer and my good mate is a plasterer so he will render it so I can paint it. The main thing is deciding on a roof as a flat but sloping roof will be simple enough to DIY but if I go for a dual pitched tiled roof then I need a roofer and the only guy I know I wouldn't want to tile my roof, so that won't be cheap.

[Edited on 06-02-2015 by Graham88]
Marc

6th Feb 15 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work.
DaveyLC

6th Feb 15 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have been tempted to create a false wall all the way up the chimney breast
Graham88

6th Feb 15 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was tempted, but I want to buy a new TV at some point, and without knowing those dimensions it's hard to build it around :-/

Maybe when I get it I can do it, but also thinking the new TV will be alot flatter so won't stick out as much?

One thing I am learning with all this building malarky is trying to get things done in the right order!
random dav
Premium Member

7th Feb 15 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work. Got anywhere with the council reply for the garage?

WRLFC !

Project cars
Graham88

8th Feb 15 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
Nice work. Got anywhere with the council reply for the garage?

Yeah got a reply mate, this is why I need 2 different prices based on the roof choice so I can have an idea of whether to go for planning permission:

I can inform you that a garage in this location is considered to be permitted development, not requiring planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

· The garage must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and a maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
· Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a garage within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
· No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
· No more than half the area of land around the original house would be covered by additions or other buildings.

However, as the garage you are proposing is likely to be less than two metres away from the plot boundary to the rear, it cannot exceed 2.5 metres in height if you wish to build it using your permitted development rights (not requiring an application for planning permission). If the proposed garage is likely to exceed 2.5 metres (in the instance of a pitched roof for example), you will require an application for full planning permission for the works.

I have attached the form for full planning permission for your perusal. The fee for this is £172.00.

Basically because I am building it directly next to the back alley I need planning permission to go above 2.5m. It's a one off fee of £172 so it's not too bad at all, I don't want to lose 2.5m of the garden just so I don't have to get planning permission. There are other garages that are tall next to the alley, so I know it won't be turned down.
Haimsey
Premium Member

8th Feb 15 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work, looks brilliant.
Lighting in the kitchen is very neat.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
whitter45

8th Feb 15 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks Brilliant Graham, congrats
Graham88

25th Feb 15 at 05:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys.

My next job I wanted to do was sort the shed out before it got so filled up with crap it would be a huge job to sort. Basically where the guy has put block paving in the back garden it raised the level above the damp line of the shed, so it kept filling up with water every time it rained, very annoying! Talked about waterproofing etc but in the end I decided just to lay some concrete down and raise the base up, I went with the simple basis that water might make it's way through waterproofing etc over the years, but it will never be able to travel uphill!

Plastic sheet down and hardcore

Messy job this, alot messier than I thought!

Found it very difficult to level, what with not really being able to stretch inside it much, and neither me or my Dad have really ever done concreting on as big a scale as this (I know this isn't a big scale but compared to filling holes with cement, it is!)

That done and dried, next job was to brighten the place up, literally roughly applied some white paint, not meant to be a pro job by any means, it's a shed! Also bonded up some gaps where plaster had come away, again, not going for neatness here

Some grey paint on the floor

Some bits in this photo missing as bonding was still drying

All finished and made a bit of a difference to brightness!

Next was to sort the shelving out, the Mrs wanted a 2nd freezer and her Nan was getting rid of their fridge/freezer and we thought it could be handy for storing cold drinks if we have a party in summer or anything, so I needed to make space for it

(There was a shelf when I was painting hence the line, that went the whole way across)

Fridge/Freezer will go on the right in the corner

Changed the shelving from the opposite side from this:

to this:

Much better use of storage and hopefully dry!!

Just want to run some armoured cable into it from the fuse board on it's own breaker as at the moment I have just run a temporary cable in to run a light and 1 plug socket. The feed to the garage when it's built will then come out of the shed and use the same breaker.
Graham88

9th May 15 at 02:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been doing a bit more to the house, blocked the vent up in the kitchen, had to take the cupboard off the wall to make the job alot easier

Looks alot better.

Added 2 double sockets under the TV behind the AMP etc to help hide up some wiring.

Annoyingly the gap between the 2 was too thin when cutting so it split. Although will be handy when running wires up the chimney breast to upstairs so not too fussed.

Wanted to a build a brick BBQ

Can't wait to use it now!

Next major project was tackling our bedroom, ripping out the built in wardrobe and boiler cupboard and starting again with the wardrobe going all the way along. Not messing about with removing the chimney breast.

Funny what you find!

Ignore the naughty turn at the end running a socket for the TV. Rewiring this room was alot easier here than in the kitchen thanks to running everything under the floorboard and just channeling a small bit up to the socket. This is the only long chase needed.

Added a single socket next to it for Coaxial cable which still has to be run in. Was looking at ways to be able to use the downstairs Virgin box upstairs, but to be honest we barely watch TV in bed and it was looking far too complicated. So will just be happy to have decent free view signal as currently use a portable aerial which always cuts out if you so much as move your feet! Plus will buy a Smart TV when this one packs up which will have alot more TV features on it, BBC iPlayer etc.

Some old school boxes on the light switch and some funky wallpaper.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll