corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Worth replacing Motherboard? Upgrading PC

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Worth replacing Motherboard? Upgrading PC
Dom

User status: Offline
10th Sep 14 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I have head macs are good for video editing which is something I am keen to mess about with...

That probably stems from old days of Final Cut but a lot of editors/production-houses (Sky etc) have moved on from FC/Avid and use Adobe products (Premiere and After-Effects for post) now.
Balling
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iMovie is insanely intuitive for basic video editing. Can't compare it to anything else, but the integration with iTunes and iPhoto is superb.

Never had any issues with iTunes. In fact I think it gets better with every release.

RAM aren't soldered in. Can be changed in 5 minutes, no warranty void. Don't even need tools.

Quick search reveals you can actually fit two drives, so I'd definitely be doing that, given you have a spare SSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLbc1JhLFQ

Jambo

10th Sep 14 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I correct in saying that I could then partition that to run Win 7?
Balling
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

Jambo

10th Sep 14 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This sounds better every minute. Is iMovie included on the OS or is that extra
Balling
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iNcluded. Some of the bundled software, like iMovie, iS very good. Some of iT, like iPhoto, iS rubbish.

You also get the iWork suite (basically Office) which is also great and syncs with your iDevices through iClouds.

Jambo

10th Sep 14 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks peeps
Dom

10th Sep 14 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
RAM aren't soldered in.

Bet you a Mars Bar that the next refresh of the Mac Mini will have though
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 06:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe. I think not, though.

Apple have always been pretty fair in making drives and RAM user upgradeable, without voiding the warranty.

Something that can hardly be said about most competing brands, to my knowledge.

The exception of course being the MB Air and Retina models, but then this is a trade off from the form factor.

Apple ran the Retina along side the regular MBP's for a few years and the sales spoke a clear language. People cared more about a thin case than user upgradeable parts.

I don't believe the same applies to the Mini though, as it hardly needs to be any smaller.

It's worth noting too, that since excluding the old MBP models, Apple have upped the base hardware.
The 15" retina work laptop I just received this week is the base model but with 16 GB of RAM.

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so what are the "downsides" of the Mac? Or Mac's in general. I have never had one before, so no diddly squat about them or how they work.

I know the minimise, exit buttons are on the "wrong" side. Thats about it
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if things like the button locations are downsides, then there are a lot.

Like with any change in software platform, you'll find that a lot of things are out of place and some are down right illogical (pressing Enter on a file or folder doesn't open it? Wtf?).

It took me, I think, 3-6 months of ownership to feel completely at home in OS X.
After that, navigating a Start menu was the strangest thing ever.

Luckily, there are tons of resources online.
Most Mac owners are former Windows users, so you'll find lots of "quick start guides" showing you the ropes.
Some circlejerks hold true as well and most Mac owners really like their Macs and will go out of their way to help you enjoy yours as well, so there's always help to find.

The first time you install a downloaded application you'll be puzzled by the .dmg file type and the virtual drive it creates on your desktop.
Then you'll be amazed that the only step involved in installing said app is dragging it to the Applications folder, ejecting the virtual drive and deleting the downloaded .dmg file.
There are no settings or steps, no (visible) folders filled with random files and no annoying shortcuts scattered around the computer.

If you're like me in having a basic understanding of computers (which you seem to have), but prefer things that simply just work with minimum faffing about, then you'll enjoy using a Mac.

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah sorry I should have mentioned that is not a downside per say, just something to get used to

Your last sentace seems to sum me up just right. I am a big iPhone/iOS fan, and hoping this language translates to the MAc. I want one now, think I have talked myself in to it
Rob_Quads

11th Sep 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Downsides:

No cut & paste. I still don't get why they don't implement that. At first it was deemed to dangerous but with TimeMachine that much less of an issue.

IF you also have other Windows machine no NTFS write support ($20 software does it)

Obviously Cost BUT remember resale value, its total cost of ownership and Macs go for a lot even after 4/5 years meaning often the total cost is no more than outlaying on 'cheaper' PCs
Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No cut and paste?!

Whats the work around? That seems like a bit of a ridiculous omission?
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No cut and paste of FILES!

You can obviously still do Cmd+X > Cmd+V (Cmd doing on Mac what Ctrl does in Win) on text etc.

And the work around? Just drag the file where you want it to move it. Simple.

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, sorry I read that as you couldnt copy and paste text, images, URLs etc.

That's ok then
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did sound like that was what Rob meant tbh.

Don't even remember it ever being an issue, though.
You get used to drag and dropping a lot on Mac, so it honestly just feels more natural to drag the file where you want it.

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I am a tard (highly likely)

Are they going to replace it, seems this has been out since 2012 (late)
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current form factor has been out since 2012. Hardware has been updated regularly. The base model is more powerful than it was two years ago.

Edit: I might be wrong here.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/29/support-page-references-unreleased-mac-mini/

There's no saying when a new one is released, though. I've never cared much about these release predictions as they rarely hold true.

[Edited on 11-09-2014 by Balling]

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watched a couple of YT vids. The bench marking of the Mini i7 + 16GB RAM is similar to my Lenovo desktop with i7 at work and this is crazy fast. Seems cheap compared to PCs of similar ilk also.

Much to think about
Dom

11th Sep 14 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ok so what are the "downsides" of the Mac?

Lack of a proper uninstaller for applications (unless they come with uninstaller scripts or apps; rarely though) is my biggest gripe as typically most apps tend to leave shite around the place after you've 'trashed' them. Luckily you can get apps like AppZapper that are well worth money.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just watched a couple of YT vids. The bench marking of the Mini i7 + 16GB RAM is similar to my Lenovo desktop with i7 at work and this is crazy fast. Seems cheap compared to PCs of similar ilk also.

Much to think about
Complete overkill for your needs though, isn't it?

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say so, but future proof which is something I am keen on.
Balling
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess that's a fair point.

Still, the base model is upgradeable to 16 GB at a later date, I believe, so might as well save the money now and upgrade later, if need be?

On the other hand, if price isn't a concern, might as well get the best.

Jambo

11th Sep 14 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends really.

The thing is I can get a Mac Mini for £700 with i7. But a pc would be £900+ so it's seems bizzarely good value. I'm sure someone will be along to dispel Apple and how I may as well end my life now rather than buy a Mac, but the maths add up! Ram is about £120 for 16gb and not necessarily needed now. So will only get cheaper.

So far, Mac Mini is winning

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll