corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a car from a garage - no service history

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying a car from a garage - no service history
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 14 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, just wondered if you've heard of this before. I've never bought a car from a garage before but I'm looking at trading in my lexus for something a tad newer. Seen a car for sale on auto trader and have contacted the garage asking for more information.
This was the reply.

"MOT is till the end of the year, but if you would like we can put another 12 months on for you. Taxed till end of September. The cars come direct from a Audi main dealer to us and they said the service history and manuals might follow. If they come we will forward them on to you, but at this moment in time no service history.

We can take the Lexus in part exchange, best thing to do is come have a look at the Car and we can have a look at the Lexus and take it from there."

Is this normal and still worth going to look at or should I just walk away from this one now without making the effort to view it.

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 10-08-2014 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The audi main dealer will have a record of its servicing, give them a ring

[Edited on 10-08-2014 by Steve]
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The audi main dealer will have a record of its servicing, give them a ring

[Edited on 10-08-2014 by Steve]

Perfect, exactly the answer I was looking for. I'll see if I can get details of the main dealer from the garage

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
John

10th Aug 14 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could also mean it doesn't have any, won't find out until you ask some questions.

Another strange thing about that is, any main dealers I know of, if it's not on their own forecourt, it goes to auction.
andys sxi
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Audi will only have records if there has been serviced only at Audi, don't be surprised if you buy it and the service history doesn't come through

What car is it ?

April 08 feature car
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy, that's what concerns me I'd only realistically buy it with history.

It's a lexus is250 sport

John, that's another thing I'm not clued up about, why has it come from an Audi main dealer to another independent garage.

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Pauly

10th Aug 14 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Could also mean it doesn't have any, won't find out until you ask some questions.

Another strange thing about that is, any main dealers I know of, if it's not on their own forecourt, it goes to auction.

Not all cars from main dealers go to auction. Many now deal with local second hand dealers as they can get the cars moved on quickly and are more likely to get the price they want. There is a lot of crap involved with sending cars to auction
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've asked for details of the main dealer they got the car from and this was the reply

Hi Dan

We can't give the details of we're we purchase our cars from as the dealers done like being contacted after to find out about paperwork. I'm more then happy to give you the registered keepers name and address and if you can get there contact details via google.

We only listed the car late last night and we've had another enquiry on it today aswell.

We work from home so you can see it pretty much anytime as long as it's not extremely late. Just let us know on the day what time you would like to view and we can take it from there.

What are people's thoughts ?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can ring any audi dealer with the reg and ask for service history FYI
gooner_47

10th Aug 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"The cars come direct from a Audi main dealer to us and they said the service history and manuals might follow"

If they won't give you the details of the dealer to do the work yourself, make them find out... say you're not happy to buy the car if it doesn't have the history, so "might" isn't really good enough. Ask them to contact the main dealer and find out for certain if there's service history or if there isn't. Someone must know!
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know the cars currently in Illford so I'll give the nearest audi dealer a ring with the reg and see if I can get anywhere with that lol

I've also just responded to the mail and basically said what gooner_47 has written above.

Also on the actual for sale ad it says they have all old MOT's ? Surely if they have them they'd have had the rest of the paper work too? Or is that to simple

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
John

10th Aug 14 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had dealings with a couple of the 'work from home types'. I've never bought a car from them in the end.
nibnob21
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny W
I know the cars currently in Illford so I'll give the nearest audi dealer a ring with the reg and see if I can get anywhere with that lol

I've also just responded to the mail and basically said what gooner_47 has written above.

Also on the actual for sale ad it says they have all old MOT's ? Surely if they have them they'd have had the rest of the paper work too? Or is that to simple

You can get the MOT history from the gov.uk website, all you need is the reg and either the v5c number or MOT test number.

MX5 Project Thread
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 12:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
quote:
Originally posted by Danny W

You can get the MOT history from the gov.uk website, all you need is the reg and either the v5c number or MOT test number.

Ah I see so it's possible they've done that then

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Marc

10th Aug 14 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will the seller be giving the car a service before he sells and is there a 6 month warranty with the car, or is he really just selling cars on his driveway?
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Service and fresh mot would be agreed but no warranty, the car has done 59k on an 06 plate, so it would be about due it's 60k service ?
I've hpi'd the car and milage etc. have all come back ok

[Edited on 11-08-2014 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Marc

10th Aug 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will a diagnostics machine bring up previous services?
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Aug 14 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MOT history is easy but its also very likely to have had MOTs

Service history assumes:

1) its been done
2) its been done at a dealer who records it
3) you can find out which dealer

I'd also question whether the person selling the car wouldn't have arranged to have that available in order to get a good offer on it.

ie. its not been done.

Not sure you should walk away from the car, just build that in to your offer and make the decision based on merit not fear.
Chris x

10th Aug 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be able to tell from any Audi main dealer. Had my gf's TT serviced at Audi last year and they had all previous info about the car as it has always gone to a main dealer. Ring up your local dealer, say its due a service and you plan on taking it to them if you buy it. Should sweeten them up a bit!
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Aug 14 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car he's buying is Lexus is it not?

Audi have taken the car in part ex.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Chris x

10th Aug 14 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has a Lexus, buying an Audi from a non Audi main dealer. WIll be trading in Lexus to non main dealer. Non main dealer says they got the Audi from a main dealer.

[Edited on 10-08-2014 by Chris x]
GB123
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read it as he has a lexus and is also buying a newer one.
Brett
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was deffo bought from auction with no history imo. The manuals might follow is just the line they throw out there.

All you can do is contact Audi with reg and see if there is anything.
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 14 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian is correct, currently have a lexus is200 I want to part ex

Found a newer lexus is250 sport for sale on from an independent trader (good spec, manual, petrol, good miles good colour)

Asked for more information about the car

I was told that the Car was taken as a part ex at an Audi dealer

Then bought by said independent garage (not an Audi dealer)

They don't have any service history with the car but said it may be sent out to them.

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Chris x

10th Aug 14 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, sorry!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a car from a garage - no service history 23 database queries in 0.1971900 seconds