corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cellar conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cellar conversion
baza31

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 14 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well originally I was going to do this before I moved in but never got round to it . Well yesterday I started sweeping up back yard and thought fuck it I'll dig and try find the old window . Which after about 3 hours I revealed it along with a few nasty surprises one the tree roots from a tree with a preservation order have broken my drain and are fucking my foundations.

The cellar has stone flags which I am going to reuse outside . Under is quarry bottom shale and is almost impossible to dig by hand . For the bit in the picture it took over an hour. I wanted to go down a foot but 3 inch under the slab it looks like the house has been built directly on top which is not going to give me the head height I wanted but will still be adequate .

I intend on putting a window in and making a 4th bedroom . It's then going up for sale

[Edited on 23-06-2014 by baza31]

Graham88

24th Jun 14 at 03:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's proper cool.
Jimbothebarbarian

24th Jun 14 at 06:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who was that chap in Austria who did a cellar conversion? See if you can get tips from him...
pow
Premium Member

24th Jun 14 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Frizel - smash that tree root out
Gary
Premium Member

24th Jun 14 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some Slovaks in to get it dug out!
baza31

25th Jun 14 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I could do with some . I couldn't b arsed doing any tonight but I will crack on again tomorrow
RichR
Premium Member

25th Jun 14 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not need planning/building control for a habitable space in a cellar?
baza31

25th Jun 14 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see why . There is a window there and they don't know am digging down . Am not lining the councils pockets . Am not bothered whether it can be classed as a room or not and am fairly certain whoever buys it would prefer a useful room rather than a damp unusable cellar
Andrew

25th Jun 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty cool to have a usable cellar. I don't think i'd personally use it as a room but even for storage would be very useful.
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jun 14 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My kitchen was a cellar. You'd never know apart from the lack of Windows
RichR
Premium Member

25th Jun 14 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you not meant to have two means of escape from a habitable area? Fire regs?
spencer88

26th Jun 14 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bar digging deeper, changing a cellar from storage to living space is only a change of use, so doesn't need PP.

It will however require approval from Building Regs.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th Jun 14 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Are you not meant to have two means of escape from a habitable area? Fire regs?

He must have already else this picture would of been difficult..

Gary
Premium Member

26th Jun 14 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The k he means steps plus another. Which seems daft as most bathrooms have tiny windows that'd be no good as an escape route
Conway563

26th Jun 14 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC bathrooms don't count
From my extensive viewing of 'Homes Under the Hammer' they're the only room you can have without a window
chloe16v

27th Jun 14 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the house im moving to has a cellar that im considering turning into a living space, but it is on the same level as the back garden and has a full size door out onto the back garden, also already has windows in it so will just require lining and plastering, the boiler is down there so easy to put a rad in and also has a wc down there
Gary
Premium Member

27th Jun 14 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good for you
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Jun 14 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v
the house im moving to has a cellar that im considering turning into a living space, but it is on the same level as the back garden and has a full size door out onto the back garden, also already has windows in it so will just require lining and plastering, the boiler is down there so easy to put a rad in and also has a wc down there

Tomnova16
Premium Member

27th Jun 14 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

George clarks amazing spaces on ch4 Thursday had a house that turned the basement in a mini Vegas. Was really good. Worth watching on 4od
Lots of tips

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
baza31

30th Jun 14 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been down there past two nights . I must of took 150 bucket loads out . Last night I noticed I hit the foundations at one point which is now where am going to . I noticed a slightly bowed wall so called out my structural engineer mate who come give me some advice . I have about 10 massive stone slabs to get out hopefully whole so I can reuse or sell them . I have hit rock now so once I move the last of the soft stuff and get the flags out am going to dig the jack hammer out to get it level'ish . Am going to put insulation matting down now rather than kingspan then get some concrete down. Hopefully before I go away. I'll upload pics tomorrow
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Jul 14 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v

[img]http://musformation.com/pics/surprise-no-one-cares.jpg[/im

Female variant of Andrew ?
flybikeslee

1st Jul 14 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sex dungeon
Rob_Quads

1st Jul 14 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you doing this to building regs? or just as a room to crash in
Gary
Premium Member

1st Jul 14 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bowed wall, hitting foundations and out comes the jackhammer. I await a phone call from your dad letting g me know the funeral date
Chris x

1st Jul 14 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
A bowed wall, hitting foundations and out comes the jackhammer. I await a phone call from your dad letting g me know the funeral date

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll