corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Elite Ice Hockey

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Elite Ice Hockey
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Apr 14 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forever or just this season? Remember we won the challenge cup and Giants won the league-we did the triple last year which is what screwed up this year for us as we ended up in the continental cup - too many fixtures too close together.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Post Christmas we've been awful; just looking back at results. When we had 8/9 games in hand and theoretically, we should have been top with a handful of wins - we beat Giants 8-3, Clan 8-0, Steelers 6-1 (Which was an awesome game); started January well beating Devils 9-2 and then the wheels fell off.

But

JonnyJ

7th Apr 14 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many grand slams you won? Steelers are the more decorated side. 7 league titles, 9 playoff titles and 1 quadruple/grand slam in 01.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 07:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 x League Titles; (6 x Autumn Cups) 7 x Challenge Cups and 5 x Playoffs. when you combine all competitions, both steelers and panthers are on 22 cups, so equally decorated.

Also, David Clarke is the EIHL All time leading goalscorer.

As far as Grand Slams, the autumn cup ended in '00, so there isn't much possibility of that nowadays. Three cup grand slam, we won last season.
JonnyJ

7th Apr 14 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be honest I was only look for a nibble from you Rich mate I haven't been to any games for about 8 years now, shame as I used to enjoy it. Fife Flyers are just down the road now so hopefully next season ill get to a few when Sheffield are in town. The Panthers/Steelers rivalry was always a good one, same with Manchester Storm/Phoenix.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to try and make more away games this year, might have to come up to Fife.
JonnyJ

7th Apr 14 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give us a shout if you do, will happily meet for a pint!
Ryan

7th Apr 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to get to a couple of Storm games a season, back in the days of the MEN. Seems depressing to go and watch the Phoenix in the dome now.

It's a shame the EPL and EIHL can't come to some kind of wage cap/import compromise and merge the leagues. Would be much more interesting.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Apr 14 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chalk and cheese though now; the void between EIHC and premier is so vast. I've been to a couple of Phoenix games over the last couple of years and the quality of play, pace of the game and atmosphere just isn't as good as EIHC games.

[Edited on 07-04-2014 by RichR]
Ryan

7th Apr 14 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the elite league still what it used to be? I can't imagine it's still at the level of the late 90's-early 00's super league?

It's hard to comprehend how quickly it all went to shit, especially as a Storm fan.
Marc

8th Apr 14 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus, one is a semi professional league. Would be like Leeds in the PL
JonnyJ

8th Apr 14 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
Is the elite league still what it used to be? I can't imagine it's still at the level of the late 90's-early 00's super league?

It's hard to comprehend how quickly it all went to shit, especially as a Storm fan.

Finances were horrendous in those times though with no cost cap. Dont know what its like now but Manchester folded and had to reform as Phoenix (mental considering the crowds they got at the MEN), Steelers nearly went to the wall several times, Ayr Scottish Eagles were always in trouble and eventually got an MK Dons like move, Cardiff Devils went bust and had to reform in the British League, same for Bracknell Bees. Panthers were in financial trouble for a long time too.

[Edited on 08-04-2014 by JonnyJ]
Ryan

8th Apr 14 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I know the history of the Storm/Phoenix. I saw some figures a couple of years ago with regards to what they were paying to use the MEN, crazy.

The elite league was formed with a cap on imports and a salary cap (although that it is a bit of a grey area), to bring the costs to a sustainable level.

With regards to one being a pro league and the other semi-pro, apart from the bigger EIHL teams (Panthers, Giants, Steelers etc) surely there cant be a huge difference in budgets? The Devils play in an arena identical to the Phoenix. I cant imagine the smaller teams like the Clan, Stingrays pay a living wage for all players?

[Edited on 08-04-2014 by Ryan]
Matt H

13th Apr 14 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The structure of the entire league isn't very stable, teams sharing owners etc. Plus the Elite league teams have really alienated the junior programs. That's why you're starting to see the EPL teams gain a bigger following

Most of the guys I play hockey with have pretty much boycotted watching the Elite league in favour of the EPL

[Edited on 13-04-2014 by Matt H]
Robbo

15th Apr 14 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bagged game 2 tickets for Rangers Flyers $192 though :\
RichR
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's about what I paid for Devils v Islanders.
Robbo

15th Apr 14 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I missed the actual sale so these are through the TM re-sale, thionk i paid an extra $30 so not much really. 2nd row of the 2nd tier behind one of the 'corner flags'... well excited! would have rather the devs but rangers flyers is a pretty good draw
Matt H

15th Apr 14 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When's that for rob? The playoffs?

I'm off to Czech Republic next week playing in a tournament & were getting tickets to the KHL playoff finals in Prague. Should be a good atmosphere in the O2 arena with 16000 people there!
Robbo

16th Apr 14 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, this sunday - game 2!

that soudns swag as mate! O2 Arena is quite nice too iirc
JonnyJ

16th Apr 14 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

swag as...

Swag. As.
Robbo

16th Apr 14 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JonnyJ

9th Sep 14 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just booked tickets for Fife Flyers vs Sheffield Steelers on saturday, in the away end obviously. 1 of 13 fans so far
Aaron

9th Sep 14 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watched Hull Stingray's first home game on Sunday night. I've never really been in to spectator sports...but i just love the passion, skill, precision and controlled aggression* in Ice Hockey.

I'll be going to all the home games this season, and no doubt the away games at Sheffield.

We lost to Braehead Clan 6 - 8 the other day...what a game.

Our assistant coach (Carl Lauzon) is a quality player. Pretty small in stature for an Ice Hockey player...but he's scared of no-one!

*i.e they smash fuck out of each other on the ice, but they're all friends again after the whistle. Saying that though, there was a full line scrap at the final whistle on Saturday night, and it took a good 5 minutes for all the players to compose themselves for the usual post-match handshake

[Edited on 09-09-2014 by Aaron]
RichR
Premium Member

9th Sep 14 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might come up and sit in the away end in my panther's shirt Jonny...
JonnyJ

10th Sep 14 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
Might come up and sit in the away end in my panther's shirt Jonny...

I'll be forced to remove your lips m8

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Elite Ice Hockey 23 database queries in 0.1032910 seconds