corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » GiffGaff - Tethering

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GiffGaff - Tethering
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jan 14 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

I'm of the understanding that they don't allow tethering on the unlimited data packages.

As of next week I'm going to be working away and would dearly miss my internets.

Is it right that I can bypass their detection using a VPN on my mobile or is that just an internet myth?

Cheers
Rob_Quads

21st Jan 14 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would as they would not be able to see what is going down the wire.

They know its teathered when they can see the encrypted requests going through with things like Ipad etc in the name. If all the yare seeing is data they can't tell if its from the mobile or something teathered. Obviously if its something thats only possible on a non-mobile then its also obvious
Gaz

21st Jan 14 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would it not be better to see if Three are doing any sim only deals and run a dongle for a 4g connection?
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno tbh? Didn't know they did unlimited data dongle deals? Assumed alike GiffGaff any other unlimited deals had restrictions against dongles and 3G tablets.
ed

21st Jan 14 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure all they do is sniff out the user agent string from a request. I never did any testing to see what was sent, but an iPhone seems to broadcast that it's being used for tethering and you get caught straight away (on Three). I've used my Galaxy S4 for tethering loads and haven't been caught yet.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On giffgaff yeah?
BarnshaW

21st Jan 14 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

moved to three last month on the 15 quid unlimited data package (which allows tethering), currently getting around 21mbps download and around 4mbps upload, pretty decent really
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a contract deal?
ed

21st Jan 14 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
On giffgaff yeah?
No, on Three still. I'm trying to remember what I did when I was on GiffGaff - I'm sure it just worked?

[Edited on 21-01-2014 by ed]
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The community forums implies they've implemented some new detection system recently iirc. You get 30min data bans when detected then suspended until your goody bag runs out beyond that, etc.

I know it's not a lot of money, but I didn't really want to topup £12 on it to find out it can't be done. If i can just use the VPN then happy days.

Three sounds like it's worth a look tho. I guess they're not like the Three of old with wank reception?

[Edited on 21-01-2014 by Brett]
BarnshaW

21st Jan 14 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is that a contract deal?

its £15 if you do a 12 months contract or you can pay £18 and have it as a rolling monthly one.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 14 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds alright, will take a look.
AlunJ

21st Jan 14 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Three sounds like it's worth a look tho. I guess they're not like the Three of old with wank reception?

[Edited on 21-01-2014 by Brett]

3 are much better nowadays, I use a mifi in work for my tablet and it's faultless, generally carry it in the car and it rarely if ever drops out.
A2H GO

21st Jan 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried Three twice in the last 6 months, it's so bad signal wise I've had to go back to GiffGaff. Annoying as when you do have signal their speeds are actually really good compared to giffgaffs which are terrible.
BarnshaW

21st Jan 14 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sit next to my mate at work on giffgaff and when we both use the same speed test my phone consistently gets around quadruple the speeds he does.

he gets no more then 5 mbps on giffgaff
Rob_Quads

21st Jan 14 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As with all things mobile it just depends what its like where you are.

Round mine 3 is fairly poor signal and at work non-existent yet 02 I get full signal at home and signal enough to make calls
A2H GO

21st Jan 14 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5mbps on GiffGaff is good, I get on average < 0.5 in the centre on Manchester

Had over 30mbps on Three 3G before but signal on the train was poor and just got 'no service' at my house. As above, all depends on your area.

Oh and it was a nightmare trying to get your PAC code from them whereas GiffGaff is all done online which is nice.

[Edited on 21-01-2014 by A2H GO]

New Poll