corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1998 Corsa C20let Project ***Final PVS Push*** (20/06/2016)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1998 Corsa C20let Project ***Final PVS Push*** (20/06/2016)
mark106mark

User status: Offline
16th Jan 14 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello all!

Having owned and modified a c20let corsa from a member on here back in 2004 I really fancied building my own. I have owned for the last 2 1/2 years a stunning 1989 Ford Escor RS Turbo which was spanking. Infact it was so MINT I was almost scared to drive it or park it bloody anywhere. Apart from that I really missed the power of a c20let corsa Im a little further along than the thread reads ref the build but I need to get the time to catch up with pics etc......

So anyway I sold the RS Turbo and set about looking for a decent corsa. I wanted something solid underneath with the body work in a reasonable state.

I spent ages looking at different ones and weighed the benefits up of weather to buy a redtop corsa as a base obviously because id save a few £££ on conversion parts and could get a few £££ back on the engine.

I finally saw this corsa advertised at £1250 with the following spec

Shell 60K
C20xe Engine
Kent cams AST1612
Coscast head
F16 Box
Uprated clutch
Digi dash
2.0 brakes
MTEC conversion pars, shafts hubs etc
Roose hoses

A family member knew the history of the car aswell which was an added bonus. He had a good look over the car and underneath it was spot on. B pillar had been welded previously and it had the odd mark and ding but that never bothered me.

I weighed up what parts I could re-use on this for the conversion and this came in my favour

So it was time to talk £££ with him and finally after a few negotiations I bagged it for £1200 how it was. Initially my offer was around £1000 but he wanted to remove the cams at that price and I couldn't be ased with the messing about.

££££ exchanged

[Edited on 08-06-2016 by mark106mark]

[Edited on 20-06-2016 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

18th Jan 14 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is the RS that I let go, definitely miss the old girl!!

My cousin who I cant praise enough is helping me with this project hes a top mechanic and has build a few of these.

So with the ££££ exchanged we set out a plan of action. The cars going to be stored in Devon until the actual conversion is complete and ill be commuting from the midlands at weekends and whenever I can to work on it.

With the underneath being spot on we thought a clean and some underseal was in order prior to doing anything else.

[Edited on 22-01-2014 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

18th Jan 14 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Timing has been good really as my cousin had decided to temporarily hold on his 2nd c20let nova project and offered me the engine for a decent price. Comes with the turbo but ive got to source an ECU and buy an intercooler setup along with a Gearbox.

Im thinking of using the F20 again I used this in my previous corsa which was 283 bhp and had no problems.

Whilst im sourcing bits Mike will be given the block a clean and paint.

Im definitely going to use this chance to change the cambelt and water pump and fit some ARP conrod bolts. Im aso going to source an XE inlet cam

managed to source a few bits

PJ standard ecu for £80
F20 Box for £50
XE inlet cam for £15

we have also ordered gasket sets, cambelt kit, water pump, ARP conrod bolts

I plan to clean up the gearbox which is at my house at the moment. Lots of degreaser, brake cleaner and then it will go black

[Edited on 18-01-2014 by mark106mark]
ArdenblueDan

18th Jan 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great buddy rst looked stunning too
mark106mark

18th Jan 14 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dan! Yeah the RS was a stunner I would have kept it if i could have afforded to but im far from rich so there we go!
mark106mark

18th Jan 14 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right after around 6 hours of cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning the box came up pretty well. I was pretty sick to death of trying to clean it but well happy with the finished result.

Im probably going to get the TX Autosport FMIC kit with enlarged tophat once we get to the stage of needing the intercooler. To be honest im trying to spend the money at the right time on the right bits and I know I wont need that yet.

[Edited on 18-01-2014 by mark106mark]
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a very tidy base car to start your project, good thinking on picking up a c20xe and saving on the conversion parts
Are you planning on keeping the exterior poverty spec for the sleeper look?

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
mark106mark

20th Jan 14 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the poverty spec when I look back at the pictures but I think ill end up with post 97 colour coded bumpers. The slabs will go at some point too but im going to concentrate on getting the conversion done first
mark106mark

21st Jan 14 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to find an alloy radiator and some hoses on ebay. Im definitely going to stick with red silicone hoses despite the car being silver as its a bit different to the usual blue.

The hoses were £45 delivered and won the radiator brand new at £93 posted

Mike has made a start on the engine. Turbo is off and inspected and appears well. Crank pulley bolts were seized on.

So got out the drill and away he went and managed to get them all out.

Ordered a load of bits from autovaux so cam belt, pump, arp rod bolts and gaskets all next. The blocks going to get a clean up and a lick of black paint and the XE inlet cam put in.

[Edited on 21-01-2014 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

22nd Jan 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right few more goodies purchased Got a SARD FPR and a solid rear engine mount. Going to only have asolid mount at the rear I think as a few mates have said upgrading all three mounts feels like your driving a tank!!!

[Edited on 22-01-2014 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

24th Jan 14 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rightey, first job was to get the sump off, remove the standard rod bolts and fit the ARP's
With all that going smoothly it was time to fit the XE inlet cam retarded one tooth

Next cam belt, water pump all done

Next.............clean up the block and give it a lick of black paint

Ill be sending the cam cover and rocker cover off for paint soon

[Edited on 24-01-2014 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

25th Jan 14 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few more parts arrived bought the TX autosport inter cooler setup with high flow top hat. Slightly annoyed that TX autosport held my order because they ran out of top hats and was then told it would be 6 weeks. The when it arrived I had one black hose, called them and they said they had ran out of red but would send one in a few weeks free of charge. Anyway luckily I managed to source a TX tophat off ebay

Going to spend a weekend removing the C20xe engine and prepping the bay for a repaint.

Engines painted up and pretty much ready to get dropped in........

[Edited on 25-01-2014 by mark106mark]
Jambo

25th Jan 14 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Mark you had my old car you bought it off the guy who bought it off me. Miss that car was only 237bhp when I had it though!

Cool updates this will be a good thread.
mark106mark

25th Jan 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate and that's the one I'm referring too, miss it so much just had to have another I'd probably buy it back if I had the chance!!!!!
mark106mark

30th Jan 14 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right got a busy few days ahead whilst having a few days off work. Plans are going to remove the c20xe engine and start cleaning up the engine bay.

I got both my cousins helping out and cant thank them enough................

Mike started doing the wiring side of things whilst I started removing some of the basic bits fro the engine.

All AUX equipment pretty much removed prepping it ready for the crain Started removing bumper aswell

Standard pose from Adam

Up she comes

Out she is with a few more posing pics from Adam

Next.....

Decided despite the engine bay being pretty clean that I was going to give it a fresh lick of paint....as I love fresh paint

So guna rub the bay down next and then spray her up. We are going to do this ourselves we have everything we need apart from a spray gun for the compressor. Paint shop like 5 miles away so going to get all the proper stuff

Guna make a home made spray booth........ jesus!!!

[Edited on 30-01-2014 by mark106mark]
Kieran
Premium Member

30th Jan 14 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they not bloody cold?!
mark106mark

30th Jan 14 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nahhh as previosuly mentioned at the start of the thread im a little further along that this. These were taken September and it was still warm enough
mark106mark

31st Jan 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right mission on the following day. managed to get the wings all off and any other niggly bits getting in the way.

Think we spent at least half a day prepping the engine bay. All degreased and then keyed with skotchbrite pads. Dont help I can be a bit anal when it comes to this kinda thing I couldnt have probably spent longer on it tbh

I was really supprised just how nice it came up and to be honest it probably didnt rally need a paint but I had to seize the opportunity

Managed to borrow a basic spray gun from a mate. Nothing special but I was told it would od the job!!

[Edited on 31-01-2014 by mark106mark]
mark106mark

1st Feb 14 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rightey.............managed to prep the garage into a converted spray booth and started rolling the beast in.

Once in final prep was made and them off to the paint shop to buy the paint.

Few pics

mark106mark

1st Feb 14 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paint mixed up and the spraying commenced

i have to say it went really really well and looks amazing.....however it still has to dry overnight so feeling proper nervous about rolling it back out the garage in the morning

Im sure it will be fine....................

ArdenblueDan

1st Feb 14 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks stunning matey
mark106mark

2nd Feb 14 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning all!!!

Had a proper crap nervous sleep overnight thinking god I hope the engine looks sweet today.

It was a horrible feeling opening the garage and I was over the oon when it passed the first look test.....and 2nd and 3rd look test.

Looks really good I cant really fault it at all and happy to start putting a few bits on.

Car wont be touched now for a few weeks as need to prep some parts such as engine mounts etc etc and source few more bits

watch this space!!!!

Little man doing his bit too!!! haha

[Edited on 02-02-2014 by mark106mark]
Col004

2nd Feb 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good progress mate.. Credit to you

One thing though... With it becoming a LET. I would have welded in some strengthening plates on the lower cross member before paint. Spot welds dont last long with the extra power.
M Beirne

2nd Feb 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good.
Who's is that Nova ??
Any pics of it ??
johnny86
Premium Member

2nd Feb 14 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nova looks well done!! And well done on the corsa mate

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 1998 Corsa C20let Project ***Final PVS Push*** (20/06/2016) 24 database queries in 0.1705129 seconds