corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bitcoin

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bitcoin
James

User status: Offline
4th Dec 13 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much like most things, if it was easy and profitable, everyone would be doing it.
Dan
Premium Member

4th Dec 13 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe, but at the moment, it looks relatively easy to make some money whilst they are not overly common in comparison to bitcoin.

If I had plenty of cash laying around, id probably have a go. But as that's not the case. Ill settle for getting 1 coin over a fair while lol

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Paul_J

5th Dec 13 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FYI:

Due to news that the Bank of China is starting to ban transfers to BTC exchanges, the BTC price crashed a bit today (probably not as bad as it could've been due to people jumping on board with the price drop) - but the guarenteed rise of prices may be over.
John

5th Dec 13 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price rises were never guaranteed, it could crash tomorrow with or without Bank of China stopping transfers.
Dan
Premium Member

5th Dec 13 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could also double I think the lower costing litecoin is a better option for small investments lol

Brett
Premium Member

5th Dec 13 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excited about the bubble bursting tbh
DannyB
Premium Member

6th Dec 13 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this is any use to you but it was linked in something else I was reading

https://pay.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1rls76/official_eli5_bitcoin_thread_round_ii/
Dan
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the news of litecoin being sold at 25k outlets in the uk?

Dan
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im now the proud owner of 1 LTC!

Everything is crashing atm, so got one while its relatively cheap. As I really believe these are going to go up considerably.

Brett
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expert now
Dan
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been looking at loads of things and have an opinion. Far from an expert. But unlike Paul. If I see an opportunity I don't let it slip. Regardless of anyone else's opinion on it. One day I'll catch an opportunity that pays off larger than expected!

Brett
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol ok
John

7th Dec 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew what bitcoin was but have been reading a bit more about it since it's been in my face constantly. The more I read the more I see it's basically a big scam.

There are lots of pitfalls, but the biggest one is that they are only worth so much at the moment because everyone is hoarding them. As soon as everybody tries to get out, they will be completely worthless. If the anonymous inventor cashes all his in, it'll be worthless.
John

7th Dec 13 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously if you get in and out at the right point you can make a quick buck. Unlike Paul_J, although I (along with everyone else with the internet) can see that a mile off, having the guts and the timing is a different thing.
Dan
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea. I think bitcoin is kinda a pyramid scheme. Those who got on it first got them easy and could have potentially made billions.

I think the bit coins are going to drop to a lower price. But something else is going to go up in its place. What will take its place is the thing nobody knows. I'd like to think it's going to be litecoins as they are making progress pretty fast.

Who knows. It's cost me £18 and I'll see what happens.

Brett
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only saving grace for BTC is that retailers are taking it now because of the hype. Obviously I could be wrong but I think assuming each of the 50 odd cryptocurrencies now will start to climb once another has peaked is a little naive, especially when there's a lot of people in line to get burnt with BTC. I suggested litecoin originally in the hope that with it being the second most popular then you might be able to ride the end of the BTC wave and make some cash.

As John mentioned, it's a little unnerving that there's some mysterious creator who has a massive wallet and could fuck the market in a single shot, however that'd be a dick move if he wanted to make as much as possible. Most creators have massive wallets they've premined, it's all a bit of a scam tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 13 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://bitcoinrichlist.com/top100

Top wallet has $100m
Dan
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 16:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crazy how many have such large wallets, and arnt selling up. You would think a lot would have sold up at the 1k mark.

80% of the coins are still owned by the rest of the wallets, so they top 100 don't hold a very big share really.

Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 13 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is also mad is that the top guy was on $144m the other day, and has lost $44m by not cashing out.

Although re my earlier point about money being available in the other currency, don't think you'd ever see it all as there aren't enough dollars waiting to buy it.

Price would crash before you ended the exchange. Probably why the big people can't cash out - the marginal rates would fall to zero with every coin they sold.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really don't get the mining part. How do you actually get these things? I've watched videos on how to do it which seems simple but don't get how it started etc
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 13 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Essentially run software to calculate things, wait while it does so, then at the end you have a coin calculated.

Takes thousands of years for 1 coin at current rates. Hence why despite my interest also, I haven't started anything.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Dec 13 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the higher value the coin the more complex calculations are? Who decides all this?
Dom

7th Dec 13 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
http://bitcoinrichlist.com/top100

Top wallet has $100m

I believe one of those wallets in the top 10 is stolen coins from Sheep Market hack a few weeks back. Unlikely the owner will ever be able to shift that amount and laundering would take forever.

[Edited on 07-12-2013 by Dom]
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 13 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
So the higher value the coin the more complex calculations are? Who decides all this?

No the difficult increases with each coin which is created, that's predetermined in the software.

The price going up at the same time is the market responding to how much more difficult it is to make new ones, compounded by the fact that people aren't really selling them. Short supply - increase in price.

Price is already on the fall though, which may indicate people are cashing out which is increasing supply, which in turn lowers the price, which causes people to cash out more quickly, which leads to a complete crash.

Or it might stabilise around mid range of what value it was. Nobody knows really. One thing for sure, its not a stable currency at all.
Dom

7th Dec 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

No, it's based on currency circulation - so the more 'coins' that are mined and put into circulation, the higher the difficulty level (based on some calculation in the bitcoin algorithm) and the harder it becomes to mine.

You can thinking of mining as puzzles for computers; you run the application, the application/computer is given a puzzle to solve ('Block') and when the computer solves the puzzle you'd get a bitcoin. Obviously the quicker (or higher hashrate) the computer can solve it, the more you obtain.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll