corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Black beauty ('98 1.4 Sport on Porsche Twist reps)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Black beauty ('98 1.4 Sport on Porsche Twist reps)
langauld

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 14 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gidged500
Buy my boot badge

Haha! I would, but it's already got one now
BenC1985

3rd Mar 14 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its always had an Opel boot badge. Got it from autovaux when i fitted all the other Opel bits.
AaronTD

3rd Mar 14 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lovely we car mate, if you ever thinking about selling the wheels let me know
langauld

6th Mar 14 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AaronTD
lovely we car mate, if you ever thinking about selling the wheels let me know

Cheers mate The wheels are staying on the car for as long as it's mine though I'm afraid. I haven't seen another set of them anywhere else and am probably never likely to either, so I'd be a fool to get rid.
langauld

25th May 14 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent some money

[Edited on 29-09-2014 by langauld]
langauld

18th Aug 14 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's been an expensive few months, but needs must and all that. Car went for it's MOT and failed on headlight alignment and corroded seatbelt anchors. Thankfully the old man knows a welder, so that got fixed up in no time. Headlights were a little trickier to sort, had to take them apart to clip back in the bulb holders. Sailed through the retest

Then about a week later, I noticed my exhaust was blowing. It wasn't coming from the back so took it to a tyre and exhaust place for a free exhaust inspection and had a good look around underneath. Turned out to be coming from the manifold where it joins on to the flange for the centre section, there was a massive hole in it from corrosion and the heat shield was knackered too from all the scrapes

So ordered in a new manifold and gasket for it, and after worrying about not being able to get a heat shield it turned out to be built into the pipes on the new lump, which was handy. Got it fitted and my god has it never sounded to good! It must've had the hole since I took ownership as the rasp I mentioned in my first post has completely vanished.

Almost everything was sorted, except for the spluttering I'd noticed when I had the exhaust blow - despite the new manifold it was still spluttering every now and again. So I ordered a set of NGK sparkies to be on the safe side and discovered the old plugs were pretty loose when I came to fit them, so it'd likely have been losing compression! She's run sweet as a nut ever since, like a whole new car.

Next month I'll be ordering in some new wheel arch trims (with new fitting screws to replace the old rusty ones) to go with the new front muddies I purchased last week. Still as in love with her as I ever was

[Edited on 18-08-2014 by langauld]
Christopher

20th Aug 14 at 04:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work buddy, it's a pain when you get all these little niggled but feels great to get them sorted! Car still looks great
langauld

20th Sep 14 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So last weekend the car started revving high on idle, getting stuck between about 2500 and 3000 revs. I also noticed a weird hissing sound coming from under the bonnet. So after I'd got to where I needed to go, I had a good look around the bay to see where the hiss was coming from, assuming it'd be a vacuum pipe that'd come off or something, but I couldn't see anything.

I checked online for the symptoms and all I could put it down to was the idle control valve, which being located where it is, meant I couldn't do any fixing myself due to lack of tools!

Not knowing if this was going to cause more damage the more I drove it, I've worked from home this week rather than take the risk and had hoped the old man would be able to diagnose it once back from his holibobs on Friday. He came over and had a look, and after spraying all around the engine to see where the hiss was coming from, and unplugging various sensors to see if it'd change how it idled, we're still none the wiser.

I did the paper clip test and got 3 fault codes: 0443 (EVAP Emission Control System purge valve?), 0105 (MAP sensor) and 0505 (idle air control voltage high). None the wiser as to what the problem actually is, as I only did the paper clip test *after* various sensors had been unplugged, and since the ECU is super helpful with not offering a way to clear fault codes, I don't know what else to do or try to prove its definitely the idle control valve other than taking everything off to get to it, or paying £25 for a new MAP sensor (my dad's suggestion, who reckons this is the part at fault, and that the hiss is just the engine pulling in more air than it needs to compensate for whatever's wrong with it).

Anyone else out there able to offer any other advice? Times like these I really wish I'd gone into car mechanics instead of web design!

[Edited on 20-09-2014 by langauld]
taylorboosh

20th Sep 14 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I curbed my evos wheel after like 2 days having them on - camber and wide wheels can easily catch you out
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Sep 14 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reset the codes and read them again before you start unplugging stuff.
langauld

20th Sep 14 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do I reset the codes?
langauld

29th Sep 14 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worked out how to reset the codes The scan tool we had didn't work with the car so borrowed one off a friend of a friend to read and clear them.

Was left with P0505, so definitely something to do with the IAC. Left the car at the old man's this afternoon so he could take everything off to get to it. After a thorough clean and it all put back together again, it was still the same, so he's having another go tomorrow! This time to give the throttle body a check and to clean that up. If that doesn't work, then probably going to need to buy a new IAC.

Good ol' Corsas! (And thank god for giving me a very patient mechanic for a dad!)

In other unrelated news, I saw a white Corsa B earlier near where I work in Leicester. Pretty sure it was a LET. Had some lovely wheels on it too! <3

[Edited on 29-09-2014 by langauld]
langauld

1st Oct 14 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the engine was took to bits again yesterday and the throttle body was cleaned out. The butterfly flap also has a tight seal. Idle problem still there.

Took it to bits again today and replaced the IAC with a brand new one, but even that hasn't fixed it.

Has anyone else ever had similar troubles? My dad's at a loss as to what it could be now the throttle body is clean and it's got the new IAC fitted. The fault codes were cleared after fitting the new valve, started the engine, idle revs are fine while the engine's cold (around 1,200 rpm) and the EVAP's running, then when it's warm enough and the revs should drop to 800 rpm it rises up to 3,000 then 2,500, then 3,000, and so on. Then the EML comes on, same fault code - p0505.
langauld

2nd Oct 14 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem solved! Turns out there's a split in the rubber hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the throttle body, which was only discovered after taking the manifold off to do a second spray test after cleaning the MAF and that having no effect either. Can't get a new hose until early next week unfortunately so it's getting temporarily sealed up. So happy.

[Edited on 02-10-2014 by langauld]
Ad Blue B

2nd Oct 14 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame about it all being a ball ache but congrats on finding the fault!

Car looks mint buddy!
langauld

5th Oct 14 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks dude! My dad's telling me to sell it as it's having so many bits go wrong in a short space of time but she's in otherwise perfect condition still, these are just hiccups that come with old age!

But yeah it's running like a dream again now the idle problem's been found and sorted, and with the new idle valve, clean throttle body and clean air intake pipes it feels a lot nicer to drive. Should be able afford to sort the outside plastics next month and give it an Autumn polish so it'll be ready to be for shows again. PVS was amazing. Just left me wishing I had the money to drop a LET in mine!
langauld

5th Nov 14 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking forward to getting these badboys on, compared to the ones on it now they look ridiculously dark, almost black. Along with the new arch trims (still yet to order), it'll look the dogs danglies.
--ToM--

5th Nov 14 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give your dad his shoes back
taylorboosh

5th Nov 14 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Give your dad his shoes back

Brett
Premium Member

6th Nov 14 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

langauld

6th Nov 14 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, they don't go with the car really do they... Will drop them back round to him later.
langauld

23rd Oct 16 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is now on eBay. 24 hours left, no reserve. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152284481574
Ian W

25th Oct 16 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by langauld
Car is now on eBay. 24 hours left, no reserve. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152284481574

Bloody hell that went cheap
anthcorsa

25th Oct 16 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just thinking the same, I'd of been tempted to sell the wheels separately, bloody georgous those
langauld

25th Oct 16 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted tbh. Oh well. It served me well and was great while it lasted!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Black beauty ('98 1.4 Sport on Porsche Twist reps) 23 database queries in 0.1079710 seconds