corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Event 22/10/13

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Event 22/10/13
A2H GO

User status: Offline
25th Oct 13 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My post wasn't in response to any rumours, it was just me speculating.

The Air name was guessed by a well known journalist over a year ago, although it's not like that wasn't predictable either.

Your point about there not being consistency between Apple naming conventions actually makes it more likely.
JordyCarter

25th Oct 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was planning on boycotting this event
Balling
Premium Member

4th Nov 13 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, getting one of the upgraded 15" Retina's in at work tomorrow.

Need to set it up for a new colleague (of course that's a job for marketing, why wouldn't it be???) and decide if I should keep it and just give her my early 2013 one.

Mine has the 650M dedicated GPU and 2.3 GHz i7 (last gen), new one has Retina screen, better battery, 2.0 GHz i7 (current gen) and it's lighter.

Tough decision... #firstworldproblems

A2H GO

4th Nov 13 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need something bigger for development, 11" Air is great for the train but doesn't cut it when I'm at home.

Of course I could just hook it up to a big monitor, but where's the fun in that

Let me know what you think of the retina...

[Edited on 04-11-2013 by A2H GO]
Rick Draper

4th Nov 13 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my Retina 13" MBP with a I7, 16gb of Ram and a 500gb flash drive. It's a nice piece of kit. Just going to Apple now to pick up a iPad air.

[Edited on 04-11-2013 by Rick Draper]
John

4th Nov 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In LA?
Rick Draper

5th Nov 13 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
In LA?

Boston actually bell sniffer.
Balling
Premium Member

5th Nov 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In LA?

What are you saying?

Balling
Premium Member

5th Nov 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Let me know what you think of the retina...
It's great. Very thin, thinner than I expected. Quite light, but not as light as I expected.
Screen looks insanely good.

Doesn't have the physical battery check button of the previous MBP, which is sort of a shame as I liked that quite a lot.

It's completely silent during web browsing and light work. Haven't stress tested it yet.

Build in speakers are not as good as the previous model, but not as bad as I'd have expected from the size.

There's a big drawback to the super high resolution, being all bitmap graphics on web looking horrible.
Sometimes it's hardly noticeable, other times it hits you in the face.
Everytime I encounter a smiley face on CS I squint to try and get it in focus, which can't be done.
Looking at the BMW homepage I get the impression that not a single picture is in focus.
Browsing our own website all the graphics look broken, which isn't exactly a good way to review my own work, as I know for a fact it looks as intended at a regular resolution.

OS X handles the resolution in a weird way, where you can't actually choose the native resolution, but only choose between 5 predefined zoom levels, determining how the software upscales.

Currently downloading Borderlands 2 as I'm curious to see how the Iris Pro fares.

Tomorrow I'll be spending the day in InDesign and Photoshop which will be my final test in determining if I want to keep the laptop.

So far, I think I'm staying with my trusty old 1440x900 MBP, unfortunately.
It's a shame they ditched the 1600x1050 high res option, as browsing the web on that actually looks quite a lot better.

Conclusion is that my +2 year old MBP can still outperform both of my 2013 work machines, when it comes to simply displaying the internet.

John

5th Nov 13 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have they changed the zoom level thing Balling?

I didn't use it for any length of time so could be completely wrong, on the last model, I thought I had found an option that just gave you native res, didn't do any scaling.
Balling
Premium Member

5th Nov 13 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't say, this is the first retina Mac I've used.

It has five zoom levels, neither of which is native resolution.
It "recommends" using simulated 1440x900 as then is should, theoretically, be able to uspcale everything 2:1, but it doesn't actually look any better than the other settings and has the huge disadvantage of all elements being too large.

John

5th Nov 13 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like it's only available through 3rd party tools.
Balling
Premium Member

5th Nov 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So far I've been running the simulated 1680x1050 resolution as I like the size it renders at, but running 1920x1200 does improve bitmap graphics quite a bit.

Think I'll try this for a while and see how well I cope with tiny text.

Balling
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, there's not really any chance I'm giving back this computer...

My biggest concern was Photoshop, but that turns out to be a bit of a non-issue.
Photoshop handles the resolution differently than other apps, which means you actually get 1:1 pixel mapping and no horrible upscaling.
You still have to zoom to 200% to see an estimate of how things will look on regular screens, but it seems a reasonable workaround.
Given that I still have an external monitor, I think this will suffice.

I've noticed that the screen somehow darkens glares quite a bit. I've got no clue as to how, but sitting with two laptops in front of me, the window behind me is reflected much, much darker on the retina screen.

Battery is very good. I've been using it for 3.5 hours since taking it off charge this morning and it's still at 60% capacity.
That's constantly downloading over wifi while working in Outlook, Excel and Photoshop simultaneously.
Brightness is set to auto which leaves is at about 80%.

All in all, I've got to say I'm impressed.

A2H GO

6th Nov 13 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Balling. *cracks open piggy bank*
John

6th Nov 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell Precision M3800 is finally coming out 14th November.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Dell Precision M3800 is finally coming out 14th November.
Any info on pricing?

John

6th Nov 13 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing I've read said starting at £1149.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only thing I've read said starting at £1149.
I'm guessing that'll be with the base 1920x1200 screen (which is still an awesome resolution for a 15" laptop)!?

Would be a top contender for replacing an old Lenovo laptop in our office. Though convincing our IT guy that Lenovo is not actually the only laptop manufacturer in the world might be difficult...

John

6th Nov 13 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2013-10-22-dell-precision-m3800-mobile-workstation?s=corp

'available in' would suggest that there are other screen options I think. Will probably be hideously expensive with that QHD+ screen.

quote:

Viewing fine detail is easy with the workstation’s vivid 15.6-inch UltraSharp display available in QHD+ (3200 x 1800), which is higher resolution than the Apple Mac Book Pro Retina, or FHD (1920 x 1080).

[Edited on 06-11-2013 by John]
Balling
Premium Member

6th Nov 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a higher resolution than the Retina because it's a wider format, so a bit silly comparison really.

QHD+ might very well prove to be expensive, but the 1920x1080 is still a pretty good option.

John

6th Nov 13 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've also just brought out a 12" Latitude 7000 with a 1920x1080 screen, there is also a 14" version of that.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll