corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Surface 2 or Lumia 2520

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Surface 2 or Lumia 2520
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 13 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was all ready to get a Surface 2 as part of my switching-to-Microsoft experiment, but then Nokia have announced the Lumia 2520 tablet which has a faster processor, 3G/LTE built-in and a keyboard case which adds 5 hours of battery life - all for more or less the cost of a Surface 2 with type cover. I think it looks like a winner - and matches the styling of my new Lumia Windows Phone.

Anyone having the same dilemma?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFXRYrZFxsg

If you don't like Windows RT, your input is not required here. I've done my homework - Windows RT will do what I want to do on a tablet fine, but with longer battery life than a full Windows tablet, on a thinner device, which turns on instantly.

[Edited on 22-10-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like how "first hands-on" is actually Nokia themselves promoting their own product.

Makes sense to stick to products in the same family and it looks like the spec is very similar to the Surface 2.

Camera spec is nice for a tablet, but I guess that's sort of Nokia's thing at the moment. How does the Surface compare on that point?

While we all hate people taking pictures with their tablets, I've actually used the camera in my iPad more than expected.

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about bundled apps? Does the Lumia come with Office, like Surface?

evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
What about bundled apps? Does the Lumia come with Office, like Surface?

Yes - I think Office RT comes with Windows RT 8.1 regardless of device. The 2520 also comes with a bunch of Nokia apps - like Nokia Music, which is very good on my Lumia phone.

[Edited on 22-10-2013 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I like how "first hands-on" is actually Nokia themselves promoting their own product.

There are several hands on videos floating about, but I picked this one because it's presented by an English person rather than an annoying American.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Camera spec is nice for a tablet, but I guess that's sort of Nokia's thing at the moment. How does the Surface compare on that point?

I don't know - I haven't paid any attention to the camera on either device.
AndyKent

22nd Oct 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite tempted by the Lumia.

Least Nokia are chucking out apps on a regular basis and if they can undercut the surface could definitely be a potential.
evilrob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The more I look at it, the more I think the 2520 might be the way forward. Would look ace next to the Lumia phone.
kz

23rd Oct 13 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit weird seeing as though Microsoft will own Nokia next year.

You know my stand on it, Surface Pro all the way but I know you want RT... I'd go Microsoft myself but the Nokia doesn't look too bad. Only thing I don't like is that the bezels look huge.
AndyKent

23rd Oct 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surface Pro is actually twice the price though.

For general browsing use, thats properly hard to justify.
kz

24th Oct 13 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, and I know Rob's need for a tablet is different to mine.

For me, my Surface Pro was my desktop replacement, so it makes sense. Can't be doing without x86, at least not for the time being!
evilrob
Premium Member

24th Oct 13 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If money were no object, I'd love a Surface Pro - but I don't think I'd use it for anything other than stuff I could do on a boggo Surface/2520. For tasks that require a proper computer, I'd use a proper computer!

I'm seriously tempted by the Asus Zenbook UX301 (aka Infinity) that comes out later in the year - and that isn't going to be cheap, so I don't want to spunk a load of cash on a tablet which can do stuff I'd probably end up doing on this:

[Edited on 24-10-2013 by evilrob]
kz

25th Oct 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touchpad looks good but no one can rival those yet against Apple

New Poll