corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home cinema day, projector setups

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home cinema day, projector setups
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Oct 13 at 07:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it time to refresh my projector setup, so went for a complete overhaul.

Replaced my projector for this one

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/specs/12138

New motorised screen too etc. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly can any recommend a decent wireless headphone setup for home cinema based use.?

Second, I need to purchase some 3d glasses, is strongly recommended to get the genuine Epson ones as they are twice the price of alternatives? I don't know of whether you notice much difference when it comes to 3d glasses.

Cheers
John

6th Oct 13 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't even bother buying 3D glasses at all.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 13 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I probably will only use it a few times but I will still have to buy them to satisfy my curiosity
John

6th Oct 13 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't made it through a full film at home in over 2 years. After the initial curiosity at the cinema, I've only ever watched 3D if I've accidentally turned up at a 3D only showing.
pow
Premium Member

6th Oct 13 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you actually use it? I have a decent projector at home that i was given after we did a refresh at my last place, teacher who mainly used that room was a technophobe maths teacher so it had a grand total of 60 hours of use over 3 years

Takes a DVI in and does 720p but I can count the number of times on one hand I've used it.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 13 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will because it will be hooked up to the PS4/One when they come out
Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 06:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stage 1 is done, repaint my room a darker colour to make the room darker in daylight hours. Will get some pics up later.

This projector is meant to be Ok in light though. It's 3lcd rather than dlp, went for that mainly because I suffer from rainbows at times

[Edited on 07-10-2013 by Steve]
Balling
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 07:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Headphones:
Sony PS3 Pulse - Awesome headset with insane amounts of bass (if you want them to).
Battery isn't good for more than 4-5 hours, but they charge over mini-USB, so can just use any phone charger or similar, while using them (unlike other models, that require a charging dock and are completely "dead" when out of juice).
Transmitter is a small USB dongle, so needs an AVR/DVD/Console with USB within range, which shouldn't be an issue these days.
They're incredibly comfortable, the virtual surround (works only with PS3/PS4) is surprisingly good and their sound is remarkably detailed.

Passive 3D glasses:
Oakley, hands down. Only 3D glasses with proper optic qualities. About £50-70 for a pair, though.

3D is good, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. The issue is lack of good 3D content.
I've watched a handful of 3D films at home and played a good few PS3 games in 3D. I can maybe name three or four titles in all, that make proper use of the format.

Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure if 3d on projectors is better or worse, I remember going to a convention a couple of years ago, and one of the stands had a 3d projector and I remember being pretty amazed at what it was doing, more so than when I first saw a 3d TV in action.

That could be down to bespoke 3d quality on that particular video though.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has nothing to do with the medium, but everything to do with the source material.

Projectors use passive 3D, which is technically a better solution than active 3D, as used in most TV's.

John

7th Oct 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not seen any 3D on a passive TV but have at the cinema, which is equally as rubbish as on the TV.

Avatar is the only thing that's ever benefited from it and that's probably partly because of the storyline being a bit thin.
A2H GO

7th Oct 13 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Do you actually use it? I have a decent projector at home that i was given after we did a refresh at my last place, teacher who mainly used that room was a technophobe maths teacher so it had a grand total of 60 hours of use over 3 years

Takes a DVI in and does 720p but I can count the number of times on one hand I've used it.

Sounds like a DLP projector for showing presentations rather than home cinema use?

We use our projector more than the TV, infact since moving into our new house nearly 3 months ago the main TV's been on less than a handful of times.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This projector also converts regular stuff to 3d, does anyone have any experiences of that? im expecting it to be pretty crap
Balling
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've not seen any 3D on a passive TV but have at the cinema, which is equally as rubbish as on the TV.

Avatar is the only thing that's ever benefited from it and that's probably partly because of the storyline being a bit thin.
Most cinemas suffer from focusing issues at the best of days. Add to that a pair of flimsy plastic glasses with terrible optical qualities and you have the reason behind terrible 3D in most cinemas.

To rate 3D by medium, from worst to best:
Average LCD screen with active 3D
Average cinema
High end LCD with active 3D
High end LCD with passive 3D
High end Plasma
IMAX cinema

I haven't seen any 4K LCD with passive 3D, but based on any logic it should equal/rival IMAX 3D.

As said though, the real issue is that hardly any material is good enough to press the limits of even the worst 3D TV's. Which is a shame, because done well, 3D is a great effect.

I recently re-watched Legend of the Guardians and it's just a beautiful, beautiful film made for 3D from the ground up. All without gimmicky "look how I can press this thing in your face".
The level of details in ruffled feathers, falling rain, sparks and fire is just without par.
If more (any other) 3D films were of this quality I'd be converted in a heartbeat.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
This projector also converts regular stuff to 3d, does anyone have any experiences of that? im expecting it to be pretty crap
Your expectations will be met.

Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might have a look at that film if only to look at decent example of 3d
A2H GO

7th Oct 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My experience of 3D in the IMAX is also crap, paid about £20 to see Man of Steel for about one bit to actually be in 3D.

The computer generated opening advert promoting 3D was the best bit, went downhill from there.
Balling
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
My experience of 3D in the IMAX is also crap, paid about £20 to see Man of Steel for about one bit to actually be in 3D.

The computer generated opening advert promoting 3D was the best bit, went downhill from there.
Again, that's the material, not the medium.

The messages at the start will have been rendered in stereoscopic 3D, the rest will have been post converted.

Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i went to see my first 3d movie at the cinema, at the start they had this 3d advert with a monkey, and the monkeys head came right out the screen like it was right in front of my eyes, i remember thinking wow this is amazing, then the film came on and there was hardly any of that
Steve
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just tried out my projector, just against the wall at the moment because my screen hasn't arrived yet, my walls are a matt slate grey colour and I think it looked fantastic, now this could be because its just a better projector than what im used to, but now im wondering whether to go with a matt grey screen now?

[Edited on 07-10-2013 by Steve]
Gary
Premium Member

7th Oct 13 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't wonder. Just have a white one.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Oct 13 at 06:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
im wondering whether to go with a matt grey screen now?
You're touching on one of the reasons that I'd struggle to live with a projector.

The short answer is, if you want to use it for 3D, definitely go white.
Reason being that the 3D glasses will darken the image, so you'll need all the brightness you can get.

Other than that, grey vs white screen is really a matter of true black vs true white.

If you can adequately block out all other light sources and the projectors is fairly bright (which most newer projectors should be) then it might be worth considering a grey screen.

White screen gives a brighter image, but trades off a bit of contrast. In a completely black room, most modern projectors will need you to adjust the brightness down a fair bit, when used on white.
Then, if you need to use it in daylight or a lit room, you can up the brightness and the white screen should show a decent image (albeit without any trace of true black).

A2H GO

8th Oct 13 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went for a white screen with an adjustable filter for the lens.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Oct 13 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does the filter do? This projector has an auto iris not sure if that's the same thing
Steve
Premium Member

8th Oct 13 at 07:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres the room before painting, a bit birhgt not good for ambient light reflections (a mess because everything was dumped in the middle for painting)

The colour I did, and the colour I tested the projector on, looks a bit lighter in the pic actually then it is

Still not ideal, but I wasn't going to go black, and it should improve contrast a bit

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll