corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple

Poll: Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
Better the devil you know - stick with Apple; if it ain't broke... 14 (43.75%)
Do it! (I have loads of Microsoft stuff and it all works well) 8 (25%)
Do it! (I'd be interested to hear how shit an all-Microsoft setup is without spending any of my own money) 10 (31.25%)

New Poll
  <<  17    18    19    20    21    22  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Not Microsoft at all, ever again - UPDATE 04/05/2017 - Gone back to Apple
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Apr 15 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone following the Microsoft BUILD 2015 conference?

Long story short: Microsoft have got some serious shit up their sleeves!

Windows 10 has the potential to be fucking epic.

One OS across Desktop PC, Tablet, Phone and Console (i.e. TV) - write your app once, let Windows 10 deal with presenting your UI in a way that is appropriate to the device on which your user is running your application from a single codebase; now with the ability to recompile your iOS or Android code to bring your apps from other platforms to multiple Windows devices with very little effort. Genius.

[Edited on 30-04-2015 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Apr 15 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Tunein radio app i use quite a lot on my android phone, has the "sign in with google account" option, which the win mobile app doesnt have, so i cant seem to log in. Im not to sure how the "sign in with xxxxxx" actually works as it didnt accepct my google email and password.

Rob, do you know of any other RDP apps? I have the offical one installed, but that doesnt seem to do screen scaling or setting of the screen size for the remote connection. I connect to a machine that needs the screen size setting at 1280x1024. I use Pocket Cloud RDP on android and can do it on there.

Sorry old chap - missed this. I have no experience in RDP on Windows Phone I'm afraid. Did you find something suitable in the end?

[Edited on 29-04-2015 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Apr 15 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, let's not forget about Continuum which basically allows you to hook up a bigger screen, keyboard and mouse to your phone and have it operate like a small, low-powered portable PC:
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/continuum-for-windows-10-for-phones-puts-a-pc-in-your-pocket-1292491

Video of Continuum in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oi1B9fjVs4

Bonkers. Feeling good about having put my faith in Microsoft when I switched back in 2013.
3CorsaMeal

30th Apr 15 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had a chap come round to replace the garden gate. His was called bill. Called his company bills gates. I thought that was good.
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Apr 15 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob_Quads

30th Apr 15 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some interesting stuff being released. One of the guys I sit next to at work is there.

The one app thing is interesting. I guess a lot comes down to how easy it is to write an app that works with the system.
kz

30th Apr 15 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah two things impressed me yesterday, phone to PC and HoloLens.

Phone to PC is good, but no x86/x64 yet so not the ideal solution, but this is basically something I've wanted forever; I'm sure they'll get there! Very impressive none the less. If they can tweak Miracast so you don't even need to plug into HDMI that'll be even better.

HoloLens is just fucking crazy! Everyone should watch that on stage demo.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 15 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hololens looks like a cool gimmick. And thats what it will only ever be. Because, like google glass, you still have to wear stupid looking glasses, and everything you would ever use them for is pretty redundant as you will still choose traditional methods. eg. I dont want to watch a movie when im busy walking around the house, i just want to chill out and watch it

[Edited on 30-04-2015 by Steve]
kz

30th Apr 15 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main difference between Google Glass and HoloLens is Google wanted you walking the streets looking like a dickhead, whereas Microsoft only want you looking like a dickhead inside your own home or the work place... that to me, is a lot more feasible.

Most of the applications seem slanted towards the work place or for certain 'tasks' i.e. the examples they originally showed of changing a part on your toilet or something. Apply that to installing car parts and it starts to make sense! On the consumer front, playing something like Minecraft could be amazing, or just laying in bed with a 100" TV on your ceiling
evilrob
Premium Member

1st May 15 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Selling my MacBook Air since it is now surplus to requirements, if anyone's interested:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=668531

[Edited on 01-05-2015 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

11th May 15 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were curious about the Microsoft Band and/or getting a Windows Phone (maybe as a cheap backup phone / new toy), and were needing a legit copy of Office at home, O2 have a great bundle offer for the next couple of days:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/microsoft/lumia-640/

If you buy a Lumia 640 (either on contract or PAYG) before the 13th May, you can buy a Microsoft Band at the same time for £99 (normally £169) - also comes with a year of Office 365 (worth £59).

Lumia 640 has a 5" screen, quad-core 1.2ghz processor, 8MP camera, 4G, has an SD card slot - pretty decent spec for £144 PAYG on O2.

[Edited on 11-05-2015 by evilrob]
evilrob
Premium Member

20th May 15 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks to kz, I am now the proud owner of an Xbox One, to go with my Windows Phone, Microsoft Band, Xbox Music Subscription and Surface Tablet.

This means I am all set for the OneCore Windows 10 experience across all screen sizes / use scenarios.

I'm excited!

[Edited on 20-05-2015 by evilrob]
kz

22nd May 15 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

evilrob
Premium Member

22nd May 15 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha! Not THAT excited. Maybe if I took as much coke as Ballmer clearly did that day, I would be that excited too!
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd May 15 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off on a Dublin data centre tour in a couple of weeks, cannae wait

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else watching the big Microsoft product launch webcast?
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-gb
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HoloLens Dev kit available Q1 2016 - $3,000
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Microsoft Band with curved gorilla glass screen, looks amazing!

Now includes a barometer for elevation tracking.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 16:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still would like a Band. Hope they got it right this time.

I think the "less is more" approach to a smart watch is a much better way to go than the "OMG! EVERYTHING IN THE WHOLE WORLD RIGHT THERE ON YOUR WRIST" approach everyone else is trying to take.

evilrob
Premium Member

6th Oct 15 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my first gen band. Will definitely get the new one when it's out.
kz

6th Oct 15 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus Christ... that was a great event! Beat Apple this time round imo. Surface Book looks awesome, though still not sure I'd actually go for it over the Pro tablet. It makes the iPad Pro look like a toy.

Not going to bother with the new Band though as nothing's really changed other than the actual design.
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Oct 15 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Not going to bother with the new Band though as nothing's really changed other than the actual design.

Can I tempt you with this?

https://storetradeup.com/gb/en/pages/tradeup/home?icid=Band_PDP_above_add_to_cart_P1741_12102015

Proper Microsoft trade-in programme; get £70 for your old band when you order a Band 2.
kz

15th Oct 15 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah saw that today. My mate said he'd give me £70 for my Band because of that... tempted indeed, but I've only had this one 6 months (to the day funnily enough) and seems crazy putting in another £130 when the new version doesn't even have any new settings/features.
evilrob
Premium Member

13th Nov 15 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming you've updated to the new Xbone OS that came out yesterday, you can now play South Park: Stick of Truth via the new Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility feature, which as far as I'm aware didn't feature on any of the lists of the first backwardly-compatible games available at launch.

If you don't own the disc, you can pay for and download it direct to your console online here:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Stick-of-Truth/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802555308c5?DownloadType=Game

That's my weekend gone!

[Edited on 13-11-2015 by evilrob]

<<  17    18    19    20    21    22  >>

New Poll