corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » House Extension Project

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author House Extension Project
Pop

User status: Offline
18th Oct 14 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time for the weekly update and thankfully things have continued to move on.

Insulation has continued to go in and plaster board fitted...

For a reason unknown to me, the ceilings in the front of the house were slightly higher than those at the back! This meant that the hallway ceiling had to be counter-battened to ensure it was level all the way through. This was done and plaster board put up...

The kitchen has had the same counter-batten treatment, but the ceiling hasn't been put in yet...

As the home cinema room had new joists put in the ceiling was level, so no messing about there. Insulation in and lots of plaster board now fitted...

Jobs for next week:
- Electrician here this afternoon to finish the power points in the kitchen
- Kitchen wall partially plastered where the new boiler is going to be fitted
- New boiler in and pipework run through the ceiling etc
- Plaster board up in the kitchen

If all of those things happen it would be great, but to be fair I'd settle for some of them. We are reliant on nothing going wrong at each stage to hold things up
Rob_Quads

22nd Oct 14 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like some good progress although not sure about the roof complying with building regs in terms of insulation
Pop

22nd Oct 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are your roof concerns shown in any of the pics on this page of the thread?
Rob_Quads

23rd Oct 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup - the first pic on this page, is that the new extension/room i.e. is that the underside of the flat roof in the picture?
Pop

23rd Oct 14 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The first pic shows the bathroom which is just a bit larger than the original was. It is within the house, rather than the flat roofed extension, and has a bedroom above it.

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Pop]
Pop

22nd Nov 14 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time for another update - Excuse some of the ropey pics, we've got stuff everywhere so it's hard to get the right angles on some of the pics to get a good view.

First up, the new hanging tiles were fitted to the outside of the house. With the long window removed and replaced with a more standard size one I think it's an improvement.

In the kitchen the old boiler has been removed and a new one fitted in a different position. We've also had a new tank fitted, room stat and valves on all the radiators. The majority of the kitchen is now plastered, with some boxing in to be done before the plastering can be completed.

The main lounge has also been plastered, new door and frame fitted, replacement coving up and skirting boards on. It still has the new bathroom and kitchen stuff stored in it, hence the really tight angled picture.

One end of the hallway is now plastered, as well as the ceiling for the full length. The rest of the hallway should be plastered next week. We spent the afternoon today lifting the old parquet floor. It's a shame to get rid of it but it wasn't really in a salvageable condition.

The bathroom is fully plastered and drying out. Being so small it's difficult to get a pic of. The first pic shows it as you look in from the hall and the second pic shows the cupboard that will house the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Last but not least is the home cinema room. This is plastered, door and frame fitted and skirting boards on. We need to get some coving up then it will be ready to paint once the electrician has done his second fix.

[Edited on 22-11-2014 by Pop]
Colin

24th Nov 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking a while, I'd be demented by now & just want it finished. Are you doing anything yourself, finishings etc?

I'm due to start mine in February and hoping its done in around 6 weeks.
Pop

24th Nov 14 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we are ready for it to be done now, thankfully changes are happening thick and fast.

We'll be decorating it all once the builders have finished, everything else is being done by them or a sub-contractor.
Pop

20th Jan 15 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's been a while since the last update but we had a very busy December in which we were away for a couple of weeks and seeing family over Christmas. We also don't currently have the internet at home as the phone socket has been moved and is getting re-connected shortly.

The main reason for a slight delay to proceedings was our heating system not working efficiently. To remedy this we ended up having a lot of floorboards lifted to ensure the issues were rectified sufficiently. It's better to get it done now whilst we are dealing with the rest of the upheaval.

The builders have removed the old manky looking pipework from the front of the kitchen/house and made good. I think it's a big improvement.

The original 6' window in our master bedroom was removed and replaced with a standard size window. This has now been plastered underneath inside and painted. It's made a big difference to heat retention in the room.

The large splash panels were fitted around the shower, with the mixer unit too. The wood was there to hold in place whilst the bonding dried firmly.

Whilst this was going on the rest of the bathroom was fitted.

This last weekend we were able to position the washing machine and tumble dryer in their new home. I never thought I'd be so happy to be able to do washing again! It's such as hassle not having a machine at home.

They started fitting the kitchen.

Once they had boxed in and plastered round the soil pipe and central heating piping they set to fitting the rest of the kitchen.

Since I took all these pictures the build has been moving at pace and the following has been done:

- As of yesterday the kitchen is now fitted, they just have a little bit to sort next to the freezer
- The electrician has been and done the second fix, so we now have lights, smoke alarms and sockets
- The shower door has been mounted
- Skirting has been fitted
- We have put coving up in the TV room

Hopefully we will be meeting the builders tomorrow night to go through the snagging list as we are very near the point of them being done. It will then be within our control to get the decorating done ahead of carpets and other flooring being fitted. The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel.

[Edited on 20-01-2015 by Pop]
random dav
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good. Looks so much better with the pipes moved.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Ian W

20th Jan 15 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, must of being a job lifting the dryer up that high if it's anything like the weight of a washer haha
Graham88

20th Jan 15 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front looks much better with those white pipes removed. Good work
Ben G

20th Jan 15 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work Pop, always enjoy the progress. It's all coming together now

Btw how the hell did you lift the dryer? I had to move mine in the garage and nearly dropped a bollock
Pop

21st Jan 15 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers everyone.

The washing machine was really heavy and took two of us to shift into place. The tumble dryer was a bit lighter and I lifted that on my own.

The technique used could be best described as the human forklift I opened the door, bent my knees, put my arms inside the machine and lifted.

The best bit is we will be moving them again temporarily in the near future to have some carpet fitted underneath

VegasPhil
Premium Member

22nd Jan 15 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice update mate.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Chris x

22nd Jan 15 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop

25th Jan 15 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another quick update as we are making progress with the decorating.

We've taken the covers of everything in the kitchen and finished the painting. Just the flooring to be laid now and the skirting boards on afterwards.

The TV room has been filled and rubbed down, coving fitted, everywhere mist coated and two proper coats of white on the ceiling and coving. You can see a sneak peek of the wall colour that we are going with in this room.

pow
Premium Member

25th Jan 15 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have that oven
Pop

16th Feb 15 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The builders have now finished the snagging list and the extension is complete as far as they are concerned. We are just awaiting confirmation of sign-off from building regulations.

All the rooms are now painted, including gloss on the skirting boards, window sills and radiators. In total we sanded down 11 doors and doorways before priming and glossing. I'll be happy not to see any sand paper for a few years now!

If everything goes to plan we will be having the flooring people here next week to fit carpets, latex the hallway & kitchen, then fit flooring on top. Once that's done we can refit the skirting which was removed and glossed.

Only one picture to update for now, the rest will follow once the rooms are all finished. I have three signed football shirts that I have wanted to hang for a while and we decided they would go in the home cinema room. We test hung them on Sunday and getting them level with an even gap between them was a challenge!

The shirts will be taken off before the carpet fitters arrive so that they don't get knocked off or damaged. Once all the wrapping is removed from them they will be re-hung.

baza31

17th Feb 15 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll