corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Running Thread...

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Running Thread...
Pop

User status: Offline
8th May 14 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Are you following a specific programme?

Yeah I am following one from Runners World. Basically you use your last 5k time and then most of your subsequent runs are based on variations of this pace. After 4 weeks you do another timed 5k and you should improve; the pace for your runs then increases.

If you are interested in knowing more let me know. I think it's pretty good as it will gradually lower your times.
Pop

8th May 14 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wednesday 7th May

6.4km in 36:50 at 5:45 min/km pace
8 x 100m at 4:22 min/km pace

Thursday 8th May

3.2km in 17:28 at 5:27 min/km pace
4 x 100m (fast strides)

I've got a rest day tomorrow then a timed 5k on Saturday. My aim is to go to my first Parkrun for the 5k as I know that having others around to chase/hang on to will help me lower my time. I'm hoping for sub-23mins.
Pop

10th May 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 10th May

I didn't make the Parkrun so I decided to go and run 3 and a bit loops of the industrial estate near me.

5.00km in 21:51 at 4:22 min/km pace

Splits:

1 - 4: 03
2 - 4:21
3 - 4:30
4 - 4:34
5 - 4:23

PB - 5k - 21:51
PB - 1k - 4: 03
PB - 1 mile - 6:47

*All PB's are from when I started running again a month ago as it keeps me motivated having something achievable to beat

I'm ecstatic with the overall time but not that happy with the run itself. As you can see from the splits I set off way too fast and it took another 3km before I got a second wind and sped up again. I'm going to have to concentrate on pacing over the next few weeks/months as I really didn't feel good!

Having said that though, after only 1 month back out running again I couldn't be happier with the overall time. Onwards and downwards towards the 20 minute target.
Ben J

10th May 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome run mate! 4.03 1st km though!!! You nutter!

I haven't had a proper go at a 5km for months. My one and only ParkRun was 25.08 but that was in thick mud. I've run a 23min during a training run too.

I like to think I could run a sub 23 now. Ran a sub 25 5km today as part of a 6.5km run this morning.

My run today was horrible. Time was okay 6.5km in 31.10mins but I felt sick at end. Went off too quick. Also had a curry last night and needed a shit at about 4km!! Also had a lace come undone for 1st time ever!

Hopefully that's all the shit out of the way before the race next Sunday!!

[Edited on 10-05-2014 by Ben J]
Pop

10th May 14 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, it wasn't pretty but it was faster than expected!

Is it a 10k that you've got next Sunday?

It sounds like you went through all the things that could go wrong today, I'm sure none will happen for you next week.
Ben J

10th May 14 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. BUPA Great Manchester Run 10km.

Yeah. Fingers crossed. Obviously won't be having curry night before either! I'll be on the carbs!
AndyKent

10th May 14 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ran the parkrun this morning, the first time running in 3 weeks.

Felt rubbish at 3km so hardly tried. Was also without my Garmin so had no idea of pace.

Still managed a sub-25 but barely! Must get back to the training!!
Pop

11th May 14 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After the timed 5k on yesterday, I've now got a new easy run pace of 5:34 min/km.

Sunday 11th May

6.4km in 33:46 @ 5:16 min/km pace

So having just noted a new easy pace I promptly went out and ran at 18 sec/km faster than I should have. However, it felt comfortable and I was enjoying myself!
Ben J

13th May 14 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meant to be running tonight. Gentle 5km just to spin the legs in prep for Sunday. However if its pissing down as it is now, I'll be scrapping it. Don't want a cold.

Was planning on a gentle 5km tonight then a gentle 2-3km Friday night or Saturday morning.

[Edited on 13-05-2014 by Ben J]
Robbo

13th May 14 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a 25 min 5km last night at the gym, first one since I ran round Central Park at the end of April I think. Will be off to a Parkrun on Saturday I think.

Anyone want my place in the BUPA 10000 on Sun 25th btw? £20, I can't make it Mo will be there!
Pop

13th May 14 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuesday 13th May

1.6km warm-up at 5:34 min/km pace
2 x 1000m at 4:29 min/km pace
2 x 800m at 4:23 min/km pace
2 x 400m at 3:59 min/km pace
1.6km warm-down at 5:34 min/km pace

I felt like I put a shift in tonight. As long as it makes me faster in the long term it's worth it.
Ben J

13th May 14 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My "gentle" 5km ended up being a 24.30.

Probably not do anything now until Sunday.
AndyKent

3rd Aug 14 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone still running?

Did a 10 mile training run this morning in 1:21:15. Hovering around the same sort of pace I was at last year. Still 5 weeks or so until the great north, plenty of time to keep improving
Ben J

3rd Aug 14 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sort of. Training for triathlons now.
Pop

3rd Aug 14 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a little bit on and off, my plan is to build up to half marathon distance by December. I've been keeping things ticking over on my mountain bike.

Ben - have you done a triathlon yet? I am considering buying a road bike towards the end if the year with a view to maybe doing a triathlon.
Nic Barnes

3rd Aug 14 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm starting back up again as I've entered the Cumbrian run in October. Did the distance in 1hr 57 min which I think is good going as I'm back up over 90kg in weight these days. Need to trim weight and time down I'd like to manage it in 1hr 50 or under.
Ben J

4th Aug 14 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I have a little bit on and off, my plan is to build up to half marathon distance by December. I've been keeping things ticking over on my mountain bike.

Ben - have you done a triathlon yet? I am considering buying a road bike towards the end if the year with a view to maybe doing a triathlon.

Not yet. Hammering the training over next 6 months then doing a few sprint distance events next year then maybe an Olympic distance. Aiming to build up to Half Ironman maybe!
Pop

4th Aug 14 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A half Ironman would be a challenge!

There was a program on yesterday about the 2014 UK Ironman that was held last month. It's going onto 4OD so I'm going to give it a watch.
Ben J

4th Aug 14 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watched the swim start of the Ironman and the first few onto bikes at Pennington Flash which is just down the road from me, then marshalled on the run section. It's bonkers but a huge inspiration.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 02:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been on a couple recently. But I've twisted my ankle some how and got massive blisters on my arches. First one was 7.5 miles in 15 second was around 4.5 in just under 45 mins
Pop

5th Aug 14 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
I watched the swim start of the Ironman and the first few onto bikes at Pennington Flash which is just down the road from me, then marshalled on the run section. It's bonkers but a huge inspiration.

I think I'll head up to watch it next year. Have you bought your road bike yet?
Ben J

5th Aug 14 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J

I think I'll head up to watch it next year. Have you bought your road bike yet?

I'm awaiting my certificate from Cyclescheme. Deposit is down though to hold it.
Nic Barnes

28th Aug 14 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed 14 and a bit miles last night although I can barely walk this morning. 5 weeks to the Cumbrian run, I've put too much weight on, so it's not going to be a comfortable run in October.
Jimbothebarbarian

28th Aug 14 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meh, don't worry man. Settle into a comfortable pace and just chill. That did me.

Also top tip from a fat middle aged fool. Be the last to set off. This way everyone you go past is a gain. You always feel you're gaining places which helps make it fun. Doesn't make any difference to your time as it's from the moment your chip passes the start mat.
Jimbothebarbarian

28th Aug 14 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and protect them nipples!

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Running Thread... 23 database queries in 0.1041100 seconds