corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Neglected Garden

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Neglected Garden
DaSess

User status: Offline
25th Jun 13 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So obviously with the summer weather coming in the gardens need attending to, I have neglected mine for quite some time now, putting it off for aslong as possible but the mrs has getting on to me and as i'm off tomorrow i said i'd do it, so thought i would get some before and after photos for use.
Heres the garden after been neglected for months:

Brett
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plan of attack?
Gary
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kill it with fire
Whittie

25th Jun 13 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Feel for you, mine is an uphill battle too, was left for 2 years before moving in.

What you going to do to it then?
DaSess

25th Jun 13 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kill it with fire sounds a good option as I'm a bit scared there might be snakes in amongst all this.
Well first things first I need to try and get rid off all the weeds in the concrete then I'm going to take the grass so it's standing again (squashed down quite a bit over the last few months) then try and strim the grass down a bit so that I can get it cut and back under control. I'm probably going to need to put soil down again as were the circle concrete is in the middle of the garden there used to be soil round there but now it's just weeds (big ones at that)
That's what I'm thinking but I'm open to suggestions, thanks.
_Allan_

25th Jun 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£30 strimmer from B&Q will get shut of most of that in no time. Weed killer on whats left and between flags etc.. then leave for a month or so to kill off the roots.

I need to sort mine this summer on a new build and have been fighting back the weeds for over 2 years. They grow like a mofo in spring.

monkeytwizzel

25th Jun 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can buy a weed killer called roundup,This stuff will kill anything in about two weeks.
Use this then start a fresh.
DaSess

25th Jun 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by monkeytwizzel
you can buy a weed killer called roundup,This stuff will kill anything in about two weeks.
Use this then start a fresh.

Where might I get some of this from?
_Allan_

25th Jun 13 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get from

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-Fast-Action-Litres-Weedkiller/dp/B00187TTUQ/ref=pd_cp_lp_2

Sometimes they have the same cheap offer in B&Q, homebase etc... The refiill normally costs £20 but you may as well buy the pump version for the same price when time for a new one
DaSess

26th Jun 13 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Can get from

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-Fast-Action-Litres-Weedkiller/dp/B00187TTUQ/ref=pd_cp_lp_2

Sometimes they have the same cheap offer in B&Q, homebase etc... The refiill normally costs £20 but you may as well buy the pump version for the same price when time for a new one

Looks great, I will defiantly try that thanks.
Ben G

26th Jun 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell how have you manage to live with that for so long?

As said, roundup kills anything and as it's all concrete, just spray the shit out of the whole place. It'll soon all be dead.
DaSess

26th Jun 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i attacked the garden today, i battled the violent hayfever i suffer from, 4 and a half hours after the battle, i have to say i've not made alot of progress heres how i done:
First strimmed it down

After that i cut the grass then strimmed around the sides

Well after the grass cutting day i have decided i'm digging up the whole garden, grass is rotten i hate it.
Didnt even get the chance to tackle the weeds but thats a definite to be continued.
one thing i have learned is that i wont be neglecting the garden again.....
Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Jun 13 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Props for doing that with hayfever! I've been suffering like mad the past couple of days!
Graeme
Premium Member

26th Jun 13 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a low maintence garden I would suggest digging out all the flower beds. Put a membrane down and then gravel.

Can put some low maintence grasses and small plants. Then dig up the circle like you have said and grass it. Need to try cut the grass every week in the current conditions.

But doing a bit often it will soon make alot if progress.
DaSess

26th Jun 13 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My eyes are stinging like a bitch now...so i'm paying the price, safe to say i'm struggling to sleep this evening.

The mrs wants rid of the grass but i'm all for keeping it as think gardens look nice with grass (when looked after)
Never thought of this before reading comments but think i will dig up circle and replace with grass, thanks
Graeme
Premium Member

26th Jun 13 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will help with resale as well
A nice family house needs grass.
Once a week in summer it won't take long the amount you have there and very rarely in the winter.
Ste
Premium Member

27th Jun 13 at 06:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bite the bullet and get a skip, rag out all the shite and get shut. nuke the place with a Glyphosate herbicide. get rid of the dead stuff after a week. then rake it all to help germinate any seeds that are left, then nuke it again once they have germinated. Most people miss out this stage and wonder why the weeds have grown back.

Then turf it.

[Edited on 27-06-2013 by Ste]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
DaSess

27th Jun 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hear what use are all saying and use are right defiantly going with the idea of grass replacing circle, going to take time but its a working progress... Watch this space
taylorboosh

27th Jun 13 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would spray weed killer all over the circle and flower beds once a week for a month
3CorsaMeal

27th Jun 13 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Helipad
Ben G

27th Jun 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with ste. Get rid of it all and weed kill the shit out of everything, then re-turf, else you'll be fighting a losing battle next summer when the weeds re-appear.

Good job so far though. Well done.
DaSess

27th Jun 13 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks everyone i agree needs weed killer sprayed all over to kill all the shit going to order some tomorrow with it being payday hopefully can get it to arrive before tuesday as tuesdays my day off and i will be back out doing the garden.

Came home from work just there and found this in my bin which was full of GRASS yes i repeat GRASS after wednesday in the garden:

so now i still have a full garden waste bin due to the soft cocks that work for the council, even the cat could of lifted the bin, i managed to get it up the bank to the end of the road and i'm no arnie (11 stone of not very much muscle).
so safe to say i'm a little pissed off and will be taking my frustration out over the phone tomorrow to the council.
Lee_fr200

27th Jun 13 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I moved loads of gravel and grass and half a tree and the bin man looked in it tried to move it, couldn't then walked off, when I questioned them they said the branches and gravel weren't garden waste, I said its gravel for my garden that I don't want therefore garden waste, they still didn't take it so an angry call to the council got it emptied within 24hrs
Root

28th Jun 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I did my garden when I first moved in...

We had about a 3 foot high, by 3 foot wide mound of soil dumped in a corner of the garden. Weeds overgrown the lot.

Week by week, I would put soil into carrier bags and put it in my normal wheely bin. After about a month or so, it was all gone and there was no need for a skip Even put the weeds and shit in there too. So just do that would be my advice, awkward bastards.
Bonney

28th Jun 13 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for weedkiller, I got some stuff off ebay called Clinic ace, Very strong stuff and does the job better than roundup.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll