corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » which laptop to buy this week?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author which laptop to buy this week?
baza31

User status: Offline
4th Jun 13 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the gf birthday , shes just started uni and i am sick of her using my laptop all the time . Can someone reccomend a decent laptop upto £700 . Also is it worth getting a touch screen one? does anyone ever use it ?

cheers in advance
baza31

4th Jun 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the biggest possible screen please
Toby
Premium Member

4th Jun 13 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP are doing some big screen laptops and dont seem to be suffering from heat like they used to.

Dell should also be able to sort you a 17" screen

However, if its for Uni surely you want to make it as portable as possible? £700 would get you an entry level 'ultrabook' (high powered laptops but in the smallest body possible i.e. 11 or 13" screens).

A2H GO

4th Jun 13 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something with haswell.
Gary
Premium Member

4th Jun 13 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Dell etc like i said or you could get a smallish macbook for that and she wont know how to work it so wont be able to break this one
Marc

4th Jun 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baza31

4th Jun 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
A Dell etc like i said or you could get a smallish macbook for that and she wont know how to work it so wont be able to break this one

just been to currys PCM world and sonic and there range is shite . Where else is best ?
baza31

4th Jun 13 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
HP are doing some big screen laptops and dont seem to be suffering from heat like they used to.

Dell should also be able to sort you a 17" screen

However, if its for Uni surely you want to make it as portable as possible? £700 would get you an entry level 'ultrabook' (high powered laptops but in the smallest body possible i.e. 11 or 13" screens).

Yeh suppose your right . Wouldn't think she would need it super fast though. What's biggest screens they go to?
LeeM

4th Jun 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

11" macbook air for uni
Dom

4th Jun 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
11" macbook air for uni

Problem is storage. 64GB is piss poor (even if it's is SSD) and even after HE discount, it's still ~£730.

Personally, Dell Ultrabook - better spec, cheaper.
LeeM

4th Jun 13 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, 64gb is low, but ive got a 500gb external and a tiny 64gb usb on my keyring. but everythings stored on my other laptop and the air can access it all as though it were on there so its no problem really
A2H GO

4th Jun 13 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Macs next week may mean you'll be able to pick up the current Air's and Pro's slightly cheaper.

As for storage, you could stick your stuff on DB and/or Google Drive

Probably pick up an 11" myself next week, depends if you 'really' need a Mac though (from the sounds of it you don't).

[Edited on 04-06-2013 by A2H GO]
LeeM

4th Jun 13 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i only suggest it because they are great for taking in to uni, great battery life, but a small compact charger anyway. so thin and light you can barely tell its in your bag
Dom

4th Jun 13 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
New Macs next week may mean you'll be able to pick up the current Air's and Pro's slightly cheaper.

A mate of mine did that a while back with a Pro and it seems to be the best bet for saving a few quid on a 'new' mac. Although it took a few hours phoning around on release day of the new model to get a store to agree to reserve and sell him the previous model - apparently, stores are suppose to box the previous models and ship them back
Staff were also about as helpful as a chocolate teapot when he went to pick it up but that's for another thread.

Baza - If you do go down the Mac Air route then i recommend Lacie external rugged drives, not cheap (cheaper to get one from another retailer than Apple) but i use to use one for uni and field work and it took a beating without any issue.
ed

4th Jun 13 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used my Air at uni - got the 256GB and haven't looked back since.

We use and sell Dells at work. Can't say I'm too impressed with them at the moment, we seem to have a fair few hardware problems with them and they're not exactly well built.
Toby
Premium Member

4th Jun 13 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a dell xps 13, the i7 256gb version and that is far better built than the Inspirons and also came with a 3 year warranty but by the by dells are cracking value for money.
baza31

4th Jun 13 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont really want apple . Prefer windows . Do you have a link to the dell? Cheers
Toby
Premium Member

4th Jun 13 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321120827816

Cheapest xps 13 I can find. May only be the entry level model but its great value for money and Gould tick all her boxes.
baza31

6th Jun 13 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The memory is rubbish isn't it. What advantage do these have over a normal laptop? Are these touchscreen ?
Toby
Premium Member

6th Jun 13 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Memory as in RAM or the Hard Drive? RAM is fine on this type of laptop. The hard drive is small because in laymans terms there are no moving parts so it means data loss is a lot less risky and also it means it can boot up a lot quicker.

The screen isn't touch screen. nearly every laptop are not touch screen due to the fact that, that's what a tablet is for and there's little demand for it.

Really you need to decide what she wants the most in terms of features i.e. portability/operatig system/performance/screen size etc as there are a lot of options!

[Edited on 06-06-2013 by Toby]
baza31

6th Jun 13 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to ccl later so ill see what they have. What's the difference between i3 i5 i7 ect ? Cheers
Balling
Premium Member

6th Jun 13 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
What's the difference between i3 i5 i7 ect ?
Theoretically the higher the number the better the processor.

Generation and speed comes in to play too, but the above is a good basic rule of thumb.

For your gf an i5 will more than likely suffice.

ed

6th Jun 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The current i5's are really similar to i7's now - the reason you'd have gone for an i7 in the past as it featured hyper threading which wasn't enabled on the i5's, but now they both feature that technology.
Balling
Premium Member

6th Jun 13 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also dual core vs quad core, I'd have thought?

baza31

6th Jun 13 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_T13_Core_i3_Touch_Windows_8_Laptop__SVT1313L1ES/version.asp

What about this?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll