corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Clio Replacement

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clio Replacement
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
3rd May 13 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I picked the car up and stuck £50 of tesco's finest 99 and been out for a drive in it last tonight.

Absolutely love the car and can see me having this for a while compared to all my previous cars.

Anyway here are some photos I took of the car tonight...

I had bought a shortened aerial about 12months ago for my Leon but it killed the radio reception and coincidentally works fine on the Clio

Thanks for looking!

[Edited on 23-09-2016 by Simon_16v]
Simon_16v

3rd May 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wind deflectors fitted

KTEC induction kit fitted, sounds awesome once the VVT kicks in and brightens the engine bay up nicely
Jason x
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the colour
Simon_16v

3rd May 13 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate, was only 148 made in Inferno
Jason x
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Thanks mate, was only 148 made in Inferno

Many plans for the car or just keep it looking nice and clean +standard?
Simon_16v

3rd May 13 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has a scorpion catback with decat at the moment, tempted to put the cat back in to quieten it down as it has one less silencer than standard.

Ideally I'd like a cup spoiler and maybe a carbon fibre splitter. I would like to lower it a bit but I don't want to sacrifice clearance as it is used daily.

O a 3/4 number plate that fits in the front bumper recess!

Getting a good wash tomorrow though
Simon_16v

5th May 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the tail pipes on the scorpion cleaned up this morning, can't stand having a dirty exhaust!

Nice clear difference

And clean exhaust

AlexW

5th May 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like the exhaust hangers have just started to sag.

Looks nice, I'm still undecided on inferno's, I think I'll stick to flame red!

Couple of other small mods that would be good are silver indicator bulbs and spray the front upper grill black, the standard grey looks weird.
Simon_16v

5th May 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The exhaust hangers are nearly dead, will be replacing them with powerflex items.

Yeah I plan on getting some of them bulbs and get a cup spoiler. Need to get the dephaser replaced as its starting to get noisy.

Exhaust keeps blowing from the cat to centre section and starting to really annoying me! Going to stick the cat back in and hopefully that will sort it out
ArdenblueDan

5th May 13 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stunning looking car buddy looks very clean great job on the exhaust too I'm the same hate a dirty exhaust lmao
Simon_16v

10th May 13 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few things on the way for the car, I have a polybushed dog bone mount and some powerflex exhaust mounts coming hopefully either today or tomorrow, an Alpine IDA-X001 headunit and next saturday the car is booked in at exhausts uk for a new centre section to quieten the noisy Scorpion system down a bit!

Cheers Dan, with the car having a decat the exhaust is already becoming dirty quite quickly.
FAZ
Premium Member

10th May 13 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you use wire wool on the exhaust?
Simon_16v

10th May 13 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I just used an old microfibre cloth I had kicking about and some autosol, took about 15 minutes either side but worth the time for the finish you get
Jambo

10th May 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a spare brand new exhaust bracket from the place everyone buys then online (it's been a while I forget the name)

£10 posted if you want it.
Simon_16v

10th May 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the offer Jambo, but I've bought a couple of powerflex ones to fit in the existing brackets.

The link below shows a cheap fix on the exhaust mounts...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?558057-Uprated-modified-exhaust-mounts

Simon_16v

10th May 13 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well out of all the things I've bought this week including a 3/4 front plate, the only thing that has turned up was my eBay bargain

I need to buy a genuine cage, at the moment it's in an autoleads cage with a few of the tabs holding it steady.

But for £46 I can't complain
Simon_16v

11th May 13 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of goodies came this morning

Polybushed dog bone mount, 2 polybush exhaust mounts and an LED numberplate bulb

As usual when I do work on my car I try to take photos but end up forgetting

I managed to solve my noisy wiper problem which cropped up when it started raining on Thursday. I thought it was a knackered motor or seized linkage.

Turned out to be that the motor is meant to sit on the stud, when the wipers were turned on the motor would move slightly and rub on the stud.

Got the dog bone mount fitted too which has improved throttle response without adding too much vibration which they are known for doing
Simon_16v

19th May 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I've had a quieter centre section made up at Exhaust UK in Sheffield, they even fitted my cat back in. Finally have a exhaust which sounds how I want it to.

Also after my old number plate light being corroded I finally got my new one through the post.

Old manky light unit

Nice new one with LED bulb

Also booking myself a track day taster session, received a voucher from my old place of work and can finally take my car on track for 20mins LOL
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon popped round to mine this morning so we could change his brake discs and pads all round, and he also had a lambda sensor to replace (pre-cat).

Rears first. The only brake changes I've had experience with are on my Impreza - and for anybody that follows my thread will know it was a massive pain in the ass. We kept score throughout the job to see what was easier/better designed/etc.

The rear disc on the Clio was all self-contained with bearings and stuff. This meant we needed to go to Halfords to get a 30mm impact socket for the hubnut (1-0 Subaru IMO)

New vs Old:

Old caliper bit thingy with the used Mintex pads in:

All of the bolts came out so easily, it wasn't even funny. (1-1)

We wanted (or rather, I wanted) to clean and paint the calipers too, so after dismanting the rears we jacked the front up whilst my missus went to get us a paintbrush.

Front (old) arrangement:

New disc on:

So far, in an hour we had done what took two days on the Subaru... (2-1 Renault)

Paintbrush arrived about now, so I opened up my paintshop whilst Simon continued dismantling the fronts:

My Hammerite hadn't been opened since painting my FN2 calipers two years ago, so had a bit of skin to peel back first... hence the mess.

We got all the painting done, then went inside to watch F1 qualifying while it got something like dry.

Back out after quali, and started re-fitting the rears:

Fronts:

The front calipers were easy to remove (3-1 Renault) but replacing pads was a bit awkward compared to the Brembo's on the Impreza (3-2 Renault).

I got to work putting the wheels back on whilst Simon scurried around underneath to replace the lamda sensor.

Got the car back on it's wheels:

We cleared the Engine Management Light using my bluetooth OBDII adaptor and smartphone app, and Simon cleared off to test the brakes.

If we don't hear from him, we fucked up somewhere and that's end of thread.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

25th May 13 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your write ups just get better
SXI - Matt

25th May 13 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That last part cracked me up
Ben G

25th May 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That cat is a photobomber its in the first pic in the same window!
Simon_16v

25th May 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news is the brakes and car are still intact.

The brembo discs and pads seem to have more of a bite than the standard Renault items.

Was surprised that the standard pads are made by Ferodo
Haimsey
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good write up.
Looks nice.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I laughed when the cat jumped up on the window just as I was taking the photo after the discussions we had last night in my Impreza thread

She's a wee poser alright.

In all seriousness, the Clio was an absolute joy to work on. It's a similar age to the Impreza with over double the mileage - yet everything underneath seems corrosion-less, even if the processes to doing things are a little bit more awkward.

Impreza seems like a well thought out but poorly executed collaboration whereas the Clio is all very afterthoughty and awkward (unless you've got Jeremy Beadle operating the tools) but nothing feels like it's going to break or rot away into dust as you start applying pressure to it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Clio Replacement 24 database queries in 0.1945832 seconds