corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Being unrealistic?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Being unrealistic?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
9th Apr 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We sold our old house and are in rented accomodation at the moment, putting away about £1500 a month with a fairly good deposit in savings already, so we're in a pretty good position should we find the right house.

We've been looking for around 4 weeks now and been to view 4 properties. This will be our second and hopefully long term home and as such I have a few requirements:

Not too old ( < 15 years)
Must be in a Cul-de-sac, not on a through road
Garage
3-4 bedrooms
South facing garden that doesn't back onto a road (another persons garden is fine)
not too overlooked (I know you'll always get this on an estate but within reason)
Near a fairly good school (there's one in this area anyway)

The Mrs requirements are basically to be within 5 miles of her parents since she drops the dog off there and possibly kids in the future, everyday.

The ones we've been to view don't meet 'all' of the requirements, the Mrs keeps telling me I'll never find something that does for our budget and to compromise. I belive we will.

Am I being unrealistic, I don't want to miss out on others because I've been to stubborn to realise there's no such thing as the 'perfect' house?

Did you find your perfect house, or were there things you compromised on? I just think the longer we look the more we'll save but she just says the longer we look the more expensive the houses will be and in 12 months time we'll still be in the same position...

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by A2H GO]
AndyKent

9th Apr 13 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prices generally aren't going up so I wouldn't worry too much unless you're in London/South East.

Depends how long you've been looking. Only you know the area and how much you've seen.
Colin

9th Apr 13 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll struggle to tick all the boxes IMO. I've had both eyes on the housing market in my area for a while and can't fill my list which is less than yours.
James

9th Apr 13 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you are being a bit unrealistic TBH.

Can't you prioritise them in order and then make your decision based on that?
A2H GO

9th Apr 13 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the list I'd say thatis in order of priority.

I'm happy to compromise on some things, happy to go with 3 bed instead of 4, happy for a small back garden if it's in the sun, originally wanted a conservatory , happy to get my hands dirty if it needs work, not bothered about a front garden...

We have seen one place that's around 30k less than others on the road (that the Mrs has fallen in love with) but a 90yo guy lived there and it needs gutting, new windows front and back, new bathroom, new en suite, new downstairs toilet, new kitchen, all walls stripping, new flooring throughout, artex ceilings plastered, garden needs levelling, I’ve a feeling it's going to end up being a money pit and will need more than 30k on it.

Rooms are massive though and ticks a lot of the boxes other than being south facing.

Colin

9th Apr 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the fixer upper is in the right area and with the garden facing the right way get it bought, you'll do up everything over time anyway, at least this way you get a 30k incentive!
Ben G

9th Apr 13 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not too old ( < 15 years) - easy.
Must be in a Cul-de-sac, not on a through road - easy on estates.
Garage - easy on most newish build houses.
3-4 bedrooms - easy.
South facing garden that doesn't back onto a road (another persons garden is fine) - not too hard to find.
not too overlooked (I know you'll always get this on an estate but within reason) - quite hard on an estate.
Near a fairly good school (there's one in this area anyway) - easyish.

seems realistic enough to me. obviously it depends on the area and what kind of houses were built there. we have all those things apart from the bedrooms (ours is a 2 bed). one of the main attractions were the lack of being overlooked. we viewed a lot of houses with other houses windows at the bottom of the garden. there was not a chance in hell i would be compromising on something like that, especially if you have kids or like your privacy in the garden. it's also south facing and having the sun all day is very nice.

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by Ben G]
A2H GO

9th Apr 13 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
If the fixer upper is in the right area and with the garden facing the right way get it bought, you'll do up everything over time anyway, at least this way you get a 30k incentive!

Thats the thing this one isn't south facing (but back's onto a massive school playing field that never gets used, which is nice). Thats the main thing putting me off it tbh, nothing worse than getting in from work on a nice summers day and having to sit in the shade.

I know we don't get many nice days anymore but all the more reason for making the most of it when we do.

Forgot to add, detached is right up on top of the list.

Heres the house:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25967205.html
Ben J

9th Apr 13 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we next move all I want is a garage.
John

9th Apr 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a lot of house for 180k is it not.

Is the linked house the one that needs all the work?

Needs work and wanting things to look new is not the same as actually needing the work done because the rain is getting in if you don't and the bathroom being a bit dated.
Ben G

9th Apr 13 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the house looks fine and liveable, as john is suggesting.

my cousin bought a house similar for 50k or so below value because it was proper dated (green bathroom and all that jazz) and is doing the house up whilst living in it, all of which will be to her personal taste.

if you will be re-decorating any house you move into (who doesn't) then it makes sense to start with something cheaper that you can make a blank canvas and start over, rather than ripping out decent kitchens/bathrooms for the sake of it.
A2H GO

9th Apr 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't look too bad in the pictures, we were quite surprised when we went to view it, ceiling is falling in in the hallway where the en suites been leaking for what seems to be a while, conservatory is so bad it would just be skipped, kitchen would need ripping out straight away as covered in mould, burnt through areas, rusty sink, most radiators are leaking and therefore rotten, all the bathrooms stink of piss and although it looks white on there it's purple and falling to bits.

I'm sure them photos were taken years ago .

Would hope to get it for at the most 165k given the same house done up further down was on for 205k and so probably went for 200k or less.

They've already refused an offer on it of 160k.

Our personal limit is 180k (although have been approved a mortgage for quite a bit more) so wouldn't be able afford on the street otherwise.

MarkM

9th Apr 13 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd deffo need a south facing garden.
Colin

9th Apr 13 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After having a north facing garden for the past 3yrs, getting a south / sw facing one in the next place is top o the list.

s / sw garden, quietish road, decent sized garage is pretty much the list.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 06:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whereabouts are you looking and where are her parents?

Also what's your budget?
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 06:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen above £180k; that house in the link is reasonable but I just wouldn't want to live in Cheadle-I'm guessing its in the Painsley catchment area as Cheadle High isn't great by all accounts.

The house you're describing would be almost perfectly matched by the St. Edwards Park development in Cheddleton, not far from where you worked at Birchall but you can double your budget for a house there so in summary, you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

[Edited on 10-04-2013 by LiVe LeE]
A2H GO

10th Apr 13 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ Painsley's exactly the reason mate otherwise wouldn't be keen on going back, it is on the outskirts though .

Another on the same road, very similar house, same side of street, 225k, but I think thats 20k overpriced and they've converted the garage.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40321253.html

This one went on yesterday, very tempting, about 5 mins down the road from the above but newer estate, ticks nearly all the boxes but still has a north facing garden and about 20k over budget

Might be worth a viewing anyway, but think we should leave it a bit otherwise we may look too keen.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38402488.html

[Edited on 10-04-2013 by A2H GO]
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Apr 13 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel your pain, though our house hunt is in its infancy and we haven't even sold the old place yet!

Our requirements are pretty much yours minus the garden plus a double garage. So many 95% matches pop up but not sure of we are wasting opportunities waiting for the uber house to pop up. We have the kinda luxury of waiting as we need to sell ours, but I think I'd rather be in your shoes with a finger on the trigger so to say.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Hammer

12th Apr 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say those are very basic requirements, not sure what's unrealistic about them? You're not looking for a castle with a moat for 50 grand.
A2H GO

12th Apr 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a long term family home I felt they were pretty normal requirements, but have no end of people telling me to be realistic and compromise.

Another popped up in the next town along, £15k over budget but potential for negotiation. Looks quite overlooked and not sure on which way it's facing. Also given the long sloped roof I'm guessing its got some awkward shaped bedrooms which aren't shown on the pictures.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38469685.html

Then there's a wildcard thats come up, doesn't meet the not very old criteria but has a tripple garage, lots of land and nice views, again 20k over budget.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36468712.html

So in summary, it looks like we either need another £10-15k to meet our critera, buy something that needs fixing up, or compromise.

It would take us about 10 months to save another £15k, realistically will prices have gone up by that in 10 months? Plus we'll be back in winter by then and there tends to be much less choice.

[Edited on 12-04-2013 by A2H GO]
John

12th Apr 13 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An extra 20k on the house value only costs you an extra 2/3/4k (depending on your mortgage LTV requirements) if you can cope with the mortgage payments.
A2H GO

9th May 13 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, holding out paid off, had an offer accepted on this yesterday.

Ticks most of the boxes my original requirements:

Not too old ( < 15 years)
Must be in a Cul-de-sac, not on a through road
Garage
3-4 bedrooms
South facing garden that doesn't back onto a road (another persons garden is fine)
not too overlooked (I know you'll always get this on an estate but within reason)
Near a fairly good school (there's one in this area anyway)
Whittie

9th May 13 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely mate. Any links / inside pics?

Whats going on with the drive?
A2H GO

9th May 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

They appear to have taken it off RightMove already, the pics we're terrible tbf.

It's sort of on the edge of a cul-de-sac that also leads off to a short private drive...

Haimsey
Premium Member

9th May 13 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks really nice. Well done on holding out!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll