corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x18xe1 gearbox choice.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x18xe1 gearbox choice.
moxon508

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 13 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi guys. i have just bought a vectra with a x18xe1 engine which i intend to put in my 1999 corsa b 1.2 16v
the gearbox on the vectra is a f17 and on the corsa it is a f13. what i want to know is can i just swop gearboxes without changing clutches. cheers.
vauxhallMADlee

3rd Apr 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope f13 is a smal block gearbox so splines on input shaft wont fit on the x18xe1 clutch you would have to change the flywheel to do it but before you ask the 1.2 flywheel wont fit the x18xe1 engine either lol
moxon508

3rd Apr 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't the f17 gearbox small block. As the x18xe1 engine is small block. Are you thinking of the x18xe engine which is large block.
tobyc20xe

3rd Apr 13 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moxon508
Isn't the f17 gearbox small block. As the x18xe1 engine is small block. Are you thinking of the x18xe engine which is large block.

The z18xe and x18xe are small block yes pritty sure the x18xe1 is also a small block. Are for the cluch i would swop it for a new one any ways for peace of mind.
moxon508

4th Apr 13 at 05:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I was going to put a new clutch on. I want to make sure that I can use the f13 box. Now found out that someone has already done it. Cheers guys.
tobyc20xe

4th Apr 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yes I was going to put a new clutch on. I want to make sure that I can use the f13 box. Now found out that someone has already done it. Cheers guys.

It has be done before yes and would work well. Unsure on the flywheel if that needs changeing though.
vauxhallMADlee

4th Apr 13 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

oh yh sorry i dont no how i missed that when i have a x18xe1 in my vectra lol!
in that case i havent looked at a x18xe1 flywheel or clutch friction plate to be honest to see if it will fit the f13

i have fitted a f13 to a x20xev engine but i had to modify a small block flywheel to get it to fit as diameter of the bolt holes were to small to the x20xev's
made a massive difference to acceleration though went well

would be nice to know if that works for you mate, if you have a go can you keep us posted on if its a straight swap and if flywheel goes straight on and if you use f17 clutch or f13's Clutch? and if theres a difference in the two flywheels?

moxon508

4th Apr 13 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will do. taking the vectra engine out tommorow and doing the swop on sunday/ monday. i have just bought a corsa c 1.0 with blown headgasket so will be dropping my 1.2 into it all being well.
vauxhallMADlee

4th Apr 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
will do. taking the vectra engine out tommorow and doing the swop on sunday/ monday. i have just bought a corsa c 1.0 with blown headgasket so will be dropping my 1.2 into it all being well.

so you wil make a niffty little corsa and sell a corsa c to get some money back hope it all goes to plan for ya mate!
moxon508

4th Apr 13 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. Sell the cat and shell. Maybe able to sell hubs for 5 stud conversion. I did one for a guy the other day.
gazza808

5th Apr 13 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All small block gearboxes have the same spline,
So f13, f15, f17 etc

X18xe1/z18xe is a small block engine so direct swap.
Normal clutch will be fine.
vauxhallMADlee

5th Apr 13 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
So f13, f15, f17 etc

oh right there you go moxon cheers gaz i wasnt sure, thanks for clearing that up thats useful to know
moxon508

5th Apr 13 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes cheers gas. It turns out the f17 on the vectra is hydraulic. I wanted to put the f13 on any way. I have disconnected everything this morning and loosened bolts on mounts ready to go. Just need to work out if the vectra mounts are used or corsa as they are different. And look at loom wiring.
gazza808

5th Apr 13 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When fitted my x18xe1 into my sport I used all the standard mounts, using the f15,
Gearbox side and rear mounts will be the same mounts,
I'm not entirely sure on the 1.2 16v front engine mount tbh, if its different you'll need a type 2 mount, mount of a sport is easiest to find I may even have a 16v mount knocking about that doesn't have the pas pump or aircon mounts on it, so lightest and more compact.

[Edited on 05-04-2013 by gazza808]
moxon508

5th Apr 13 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers gaz. Mine has EPs and aircon which may make it different. The ecu is on the engine in the same position as the ecu on the vectra. I am guessing that I don't just plug the corsa car loom into it.

[Edited on 05-04-2013 by moxon508]
moxon508

5th Apr 13 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just found this post while doing a google search. http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/corsa-b-x18xe1-conversion.182472/page-2 it says that the mounts are different on the 1.2 16v so i will need the corsa sport mounts. can you get back to me gaz if you have any. mean while i will see if i can find some on ebay. or scrappers.

monkeytwizzel

5th Apr 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have both sections of conversion mount for the type 2 for sale if you need them and use the gearbox,flywheel and clutch from your 1.2 16v,it`s a flat type flywheel in your corsa and a pot type on your x18xe1.
Both small block engines with a 6 bolt crank!
moxon508

5th Apr 13 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info. How much for the mounts. Posted. Cheers.
vauxhallMADlee

13th Apr 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
So f13, f15, f17 etc

so would f13 driveshafts fit straight into f17 box?
moxon508

13th Apr 13 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply. And yes they do.
vauxhallMADlee

13th Apr 13 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thanks for the reply. And yes they do.

oh great stuff thats good to know cheers mate, have you done the transplant yet?
moxon508

13th Apr 13 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No unfortunately . Because mine is 1.2 16v its about more complicated. I am trying to find out the relevant info to wire it up under the bonnet instead of changing the dash loom. But no one seams to know how to do it. As soon as I find the info out I will be able to do it over a couple of days. There's £100 for who ever comes up with how to wire it up under the bonnet.
vauxhallMADlee

13th Apr 13 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh bummer! doesnt the x18xe1 come out the car with engine loom all attached? if so there should still be a plug that you wire into corsa loom? and beens as the ecu is on the engine for the x18xe1, the plug from the 1.2 engine is also in the same place i believe so would be easier to just wire it there?

BUT just realised its fly by wire isnt it the throttle so not sure how you would get round that tbh
moxon508

13th Apr 13 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No its not flyby wire that's the z18xe. Your right that the engine loom on both engines are attached to the engines. Its the second plug on the ecus that the car loom plugs into that is the issue. It may be that you can just chop the plug off and then it may be just a case of matching wires up but I can't find any info on it. May neighbour is good with electrics. He said he will look into it. There may be someone out there that can just say yes swop plugs and connect red to red etc. I don't know. You know anyone. Cheers
vauxhallMADlee

13th Apr 13 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh in that case id say yh thats all you need to do, besides, the wires that you have to join are only like on normal conversions with eml light, rev, immobiliser, coolant temp etc etc and mostly are colour for colour matching, i cant imagine it being a bad job tbh mate

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll